Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 16 Sep 2016 (Friday) 15:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cloudy night sky

andymanty
Joined Jan 2014
folkestone
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by andymanty. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 16, 2016 15:44 |  #1

Cloudy night sky

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
TCampbell
Joined Apr 2012
Sep 17, 2016 11:29 |  #2

It's a nice view of Perseus with Mirfak and the alpha Persei cluster.

It looks like the camera was pointed just a touch low to be able to include the Double-Cluster. See: http://apod.nasa.gov ...ClusterSpiked_flemi​ng.jpg (external link)
Or see: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Double_Cluster (external link)

andymanty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
folkestone
Sep 20, 2016 09:19 |  #3

more cloud.

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Oct 04, 2016 03:22 |  #4

Sometimes, I like seeing the stars through high, thin clouds. Earlier tonight, I went out and the sky was clear, but decided to wait for more interesting things to get higher in the sky. When I went out about 2am, the entire sky was covered with clouds. I thought it might produce something interesting. I placed two of the same shot side by side so I could label one and leave the other clear of clutter. I'm not certain about where Orion is, but it's somewhere in the vicinity of the label - behind the brightest part of the clouds, which were brightly lit by the lights of Duncanville, Texas.

(Hope this wasn't a private thread!)

HOSTED PHOTO

andymanty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
folkestone
Oct 04, 2016 11:19 |  #5

Roy A. Rust wrote in post #18147800 (external link)
Sometimes, I like seeing the stars through high, thin clouds. Earlier tonight, I went out and the sky was clear, but decided to wait for more interesting things to get higher in the sky. When I went out about 2am, the entire sky was covered with clouds. I thought it might produce something interesting. I placed two of the same shot side by side so I could label one and leave the other clear of clutter. I'm not certain about where Orion is, but it's somewhere in the vicinity of the label - behind the brightest part of the clouds, which were brightly lit by the lights of Duncanville, Texas.

(Hope this wasn't a private thread!)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Roy A. Rust in
./showthread.php?p=181​47800&i=i127529792
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Great shot! I agree with you, I prefer a bit of cloud when taking shots of the night sky.

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Oct 04, 2016 22:57 |  #6

Another shot of the cloudy sky, taken a little over 4 minutes before the ones above. The clouds continued blowing east, and developing more. In this one, the clouds haven't thickened up as much as in the others. Orion is toward the bottom, Gemini to the lower left, and Taurus is at the top.

This was taken at 2:06:58am, October 4, 2016, so all the light just above the trees on the hill is supplied by city lights, just over the hill. Light pollution alive and well!

HOSTED PHOTO

andymanty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
folkestone
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by andymanty.
Oct 05, 2016 15:54 |  #7

Roy A. Rust wrote in post #18148653 (external link)
Another shot of the cloudy sky, taken a little over 4 minutes before the ones above. The clouds continued blowing east, and developing more. In this one, the clouds haven't thickened up as much as in the others. Orion is toward the bottom, Gemini to the lower left, and Taurus is at the top.

This was taken at 2:06:58am, October 4, 2016, so all the light just above the trees on the hill is supplied by city lights, just over the hill. Light pollution alive and well!
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Roy A. Rust in
./showthread.php?p=181​48653&i=i246676471
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Oct 05, 2016 19:10 as a reply to andymanty's post |  #8

I like the blue one the best. It's not really very realistic, but it's the prettiest. The clouds must have been moving pretty fast, they are really smeared allover both photos.

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Roy A. Rust.
Oct 10, 2016 10:02 |  #9

I looked outside at a little before midnight, and saw the moon lighting up scattered clouds. It looked like another opportunity for some more pictures. This was taken around midnight, with an 8mm fisheye lens, an 8 second exposure, f:3.5, ISO 800, and the white balance set to tungsten for the street lights and porch lights. That also made the sky look like daylight, except for a couple of stars showing up between the clouds.

It's actually a Bower 8mm lens, but that one isn't on the list, so I selected a similar one.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dean5
Joined Apr 2015
Los Angeles, USA
Nov 12, 2016 10:01 |  #10

This image won cover award on 2017 CareFree calendar

HOSTED PHOTO

A pilot with a Camera.
-----------
Gripped Canon 5DMKIII/Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II/Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III/Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II/Canon EF 50mm f/1.4/Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

andymanty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2014
folkestone
Jul 14, 2017 18:08 |  #11

cloudy night sky

HOSTED PHOTO

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Aug 14, 2017 23:44 |  #12

Sometimes it seems that taking pictures with cloudy skies are my only choice. But clouds add interest to an otherwise standard image.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

3,949 views & 20 likes for this thread
Cloudy night sky
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.