Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Aug 2017 (Monday) 19:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My first outdoor multi strobe image

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Talley. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 14, 2017 19:47 |  #1

Disclaimer: I'm just a dad

So I've had lights for some time... I've done studio stuff in my house about 10 times now and outdoor strobe with a single light about 3 times. Well I knew I wanted a light meter to help me setup and had just enough time just now to setup my lights in front of my house, meter all 3 and then drug the kid outside to get two images before she wanted to go back to youtube lol. Focus was tad off and complete setup, shot and teardown timeing was about 12-15 minutes so please keep that in mind but Critiquing is OK.

I always had to chimp constantly and balancing multiple lights were impossible for me. Light meter made it a snap. Now my fill I should of had down a bit and my ambient could of been a tad darker but either way this was important for me to take...

it's fueled my excitement to keep trying :)

Main 1/2 ~8'
Fill 1/4 ~ 10'
backlight 1/8 set middle between her and sago behind her.

My backlight a tad bright... could of moved it back and balanced the ambient down a bit more and my fill was on a what 1:2 ratio and could benefit more on a 1:4 ratio imho. Rimlight too bright but overall it's facebook post worthy to make all the wifes friends drool lol

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 14, 2017 19:57 |  #2

Well poop. Looking at the memory on the light meter the main metered F2 while fill metered 1.8.

So basically 1:1 ratio. Oh well. Learned for next time.

My Gear Archive

110yd
756 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Aug 14, 2017 19:59 |  #3

I would say job well done. I like the balance of light as it is...Was that shot with the Sigma 85mm?

Regards,

110yd

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 14, 2017 20:01 |  #4

Yes, sigma 85 @ 2.0

My Gear Archive

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,521 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Aug 14, 2017 21:14 |  #5

Not bad. I need to try on my kids.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 14, 2017 21:26 |  #6

Better edit?

HOSTED PHOTO

My Gear Archive

Lotto
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Southern California
Aug 14, 2017 21:48 |  #7

Good job, I like the backlight. Not fair, you have a professional model at home ;-)a

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 14, 2017 21:57 |  #8

My littlest one (in the image) is by far the most photogenic one I have. Oldest is the least. Take a look at my gallery for more if your interested. I think the strobes will help me grow more.

I'm not some expert on the lighting... but I read alot and the meter to me is a complete necessity. Eventually I wouldn't mind doing seniors and whatnot which is why I'm starting now. 16/10/8/4 are my kids ages. Figure plenty more time to capture them.

My Gear Archive

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Aug 14, 2017 23:22 |  #9

Some comments, suggestions, based on the your posts and the images, including the BTS.
Its more beneficial to have the fill near the lens axis and the main off axis. More off axis means more dramatic lighting. The "fill" is to fill shadows. Your light positions are essentially Passport picture mains. i.e. 45 and 45 both at same power means face with no shadows. That's what the State Department wants. Its intended to minimize shadows which hide facial features. We tend to want shadows to model the face.

Background light should be modified to keep it off the background and aimed up toward the subject. As you've commented a little goes a long way.

Since you have a meter, spend time with the lights in various modifiers reading the output with front of modifier 8 feet from the subject/meter. Do it at something like 1/4 power. Once you've done that, you'll be able to set up the lights quickly without the meter and then use it to verify the setup. After a while you'll realize you've got a close exposure setting just based on position of the lights. The background "halo" light always has to be quite low. The hair is essentially redirecting the light to the camera so a little goes a long way.

With a model that cute you should have lots of chances to practice.

As an aside, when photographing kids, since they tend to be active and not willing to stay in the same place, simpler lighting setups and TTL work well.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Dan Marchant.
Aug 14, 2017 23:23 |  #10

Nice shot, love the hair light but notice the light drops off lower down the legs. Maybe lower one of the lights slightly or angle a little more downward?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Talley.
Aug 14, 2017 23:35 |  #11

dmward wrote in post #18427951 (external link)
Some comments, suggestions, based on the your posts and the images, including the BTS.
Its more beneficial to have the fill near the lens axis and the main off axis. More off axis means more dramatic lighting. The "fill" is to fill shadows. Your light positions are essentially Passport picture mains. i.e. 45 and 45 both at same power means face with no shadows. That's what the State Department wants. Its intended to minimize shadows which hide facial features. We tend to want shadows to model the face.

Background light should be modified to keep it off the background and aimed up toward the subject. As you've commented a little goes a long way.

Since you have a meter, spend time with the lights in various modifiers reading the output with front of modifier 8 feet from the subject/meter. Do it at something like 1/4 power. Once you've done that, you'll be able to set up the lights quickly without the meter and then use it to verify the setup. After a while you'll realize you've got a close exposure setting just based on position of the lights. The background "halo" light always has to be quite low. The hair is essentially redirecting the light to the camera so a little goes a long way.

With a model that cute you should have lots of chances to practice.

As an aside, when photographing kids, since they tend to be active and not willing to stay in the same place, simpler lighting setups and TTL work well.

Thanks for the input, very valuable. It seems I had the right idea but had my main/fill swapped. The angle I shot it at was more to the right of the BTS. Here is basically what I did and from what your telling me I need to flip my main/fill. Seems like going way down on the BG would be alot of help and also learning to blend the modifiers better

Good tip on the light setups. I've seen some have main/fill both power and just position the fill twice as far. I'm assuming thats the quickest setup.

TTL works good but for me I want to learn this type of location stuff. I had all the lights setup and then went inside and got my kid. She was happy to bounce around a bit but no way I could keep her attention for long. I know the best results for what I want to learn with a 3 light location setup is to have help. for now it'll be more planning.

For my single light stuff before I did use TTL and had the wife take the photos while I walked around w/ the modifier on a pole and controlled the light for her.

HOSTED PHOTO

My Gear Archive

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 14, 2017 23:37 |  #12

which also means if she was facing to my right then the main should be right and fill on lens axis right?

My Gear Archive

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Aug 14, 2017 23:41 |  #13

Get a big doll or one of those artists heads/wig heads and use that as a target to test your lighting. Then when the lighting is right you call the talent from her trailer for the actual shoot.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 3 months ago by dmward.
Aug 15, 2017 00:22 |  #14

When I was a young photographer just starting out I worked in a portrait studio.
They had strobes in big hard modifiers with diffusion panels on the front. Both on tracks on the ceiling.
Each light had a string attached to the bottom of the modifier with two knots tied onto the string.
If subject was facing camera left we pushed the left light off axis about 30 degrees and grabbed the knot closest to the light and pulled it to the subject's nose.
Then pulled the other light just off the lens axis and grabbed the knot farthest from the light and pulled it to the subject's nose. Vola, 1:3 lighting ratio. Perfect for the color or B/W neg film we were shooting.

Background light was always in the same position and power.

I applaud your wanting to learn lighting and how to best set lights for portraits and similar.
A light meter is a great tool. Don't fall into the trap that its required to set up every shoot.
The key is to use it to learn how your lights and modifiers perform so that you can become comfortable with output. Then use basic logic and that knowledge to get the lights into position.

I have a flash meter, but haven't taken it on a job in a couple of years.

This was shot with combination of window light and CL200 in a Wescott octa. I don't remember if it was TTL or manual. I think manual. Generally I get the flash set to where I want it within two frames. Much faster with subject in front of the camera than a meter. But it also means I've spend a lot of time learning what the tools will accomplish.

HOSTED PHOTO

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Angmo.
Aug 15, 2017 07:57 |  #15

With multiple strobes, I always use a flash meter. I'll almost always use a flash meter anyway.

Takes the reading, adjusts the strobe power and such. Saves time running around and lowering strobes.

It's a great tool.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

sponsored links

3,065 views & 21 likes for this thread
My first outdoor multi strobe image
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.