Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 15 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 12:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dual Boot - Win7/Win10 - has anyone tried this?

scriveyn
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Aug 15, 2017 12:10 |  #1

I need to buy a new desktop computer.

I am wondering whether this would be a good idea.

Win7:
+ gives you control over what is happening on your computer
+ running old software which is no longer maintenanced/ported by the developer
- support will run out eventually

Win10:
+ continued support and safety going online
- MS has control over much of your system, perhaps sometime in the future you can only run apps from the app store(?)

Has anyone tried this?
Would you expect difficulties with things such as different drivers, etc.?

Opinions & advice welcome.

TIA,
Frank

PS: while I do my own programming (photoshop plugins), I have never tried to install operating systems myself.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,377 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 15, 2017 12:25 |  #2

If you are reasonably computer savvy, it isn't a difficult task. I would suggest you review the procedure by the "How to Geek" people at https://www.howtogeek.​com ...s-10-with-windows-7-or-8/ (external link). Usually their step by step procedures are pretty good without being too intimidating.

I think some of your Windows 10 concerns are unfounded. I would suggest if the dual boot process seems intimidating then consider Windows 10 Pro 64 bit but definitely get an SSD in your new PC.

scriveyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Aug 15, 2017 12:33 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

Cool, John. thanks! I'll have a closer look at that.
At least it doesn't seem to be a totally over the top idea.

C&C welcome

I Jazz

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,054 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 15, 2017 13:00 |  #4

Another option would be to keep your current machine as a W7 box and W10 on the new one.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

scriveyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by scriveyn. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 15, 2017 13:03 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #18428412 (external link)
Another option would be to keep your current machine as a W7 box and W10 on the new one.

Thing is, my current machine is a slow old box on WinXP :lol:

... and while my second hand laptop is on Win7 it is no good for image editing, bought only for taking on holidays for backing up photos.

C&C welcome

I Jazz

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 15, 2017 13:07 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #18428412 (external link)

This is what I did. Ironically, the old computer with win7 is faster and just overall better with less headaches. Just smooth. It really showed me how much I hate win10 with all the fluff.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Aug 15, 2017 13:24 |  #7

Ascenta wrote in post #18428421 (external link)
This is what I did. Ironically, the old computer with win7 is faster and just overall better with less headaches. Just smooth. It really showed me how much I hate win10 with all the fluff.

I run Win 10 but really buttoned it down. Went into the security settings and turned practically everything off, disabled (as much as I could) Cortana and Windows Defender, and so on. Put in the Classic Shell for the Start button, and a 3rd party antivirus. So the system runs just about exactly like Win 7, except I guess I benefit from better security and stability.

Therefore I see no need to have a Win 7 system.

Besides, I regard Win 7 as inherently unstable because MS might force a conversion to Win 10. Happened to me!

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

scriveyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Aug 15, 2017 13:29 |  #8

Archibald wrote in post #18428439 (external link)
Put in the Classic Shell for the Start button, and a 3rd party antivirus.

I have done that on my Win7 laptop.

... MS might force a conversion to Win 10. Happened to me!

I managed to avoid that so far ;-)a

C&C welcome

I Jazz

mike_d
Goldmember
4,977 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 15, 2017 14:33 |  #9

Archibald wrote in post #18428439 (external link)
Besides, I regard Win 7 as inherently unstable because MS might force a conversion to Win 10. Happened to me!

They only did that when Win10 was free during the first year.

If you're still afraid of it, you can download Never10 from https://www.grc.com/ne​ver10.htm (external link) which will disable the free upgrade that's not available any more.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,977 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 15, 2017 14:40 |  #10

scriveyn wrote in post #18428365 (external link)
I need to buy a new desktop computer.

I am wondering whether this would be a good idea.

Win7:
+ gives you control over what is happening on your computer
+ running old software which is no longer maintenanced/ported by the developer
- support will run out eventually

Win10:
+ continued support and safety going online
- MS has control over much of your system, perhaps sometime in the future you can only run apps from the app store(?)

Has anyone tried this?
Would you expect difficulties with things such as different drivers, etc.?

Opinions & advice welcome.

TIA,
Frank

PS: while I do my own programming (photoshop plugins), I have never tried to install operating systems myself.

I doubt Win10 will only allow software from the app store any time soon as they'd literally be slitting their own throats. People and businesses use Windows because it runs a massive base of existing software.

I've dual booted many different versions of Windows in the past and the general rule is to install them in the order released. That's because the newer OS knows about the older OS when configuring the boot loader, but not the other way around. So in this case, you'd install Win7 first, then Win10 into some unpartitioned space at the end of the drive.

That said, multibooting tends to be a bit fragile. Say your Win7 gets messed up and needs a reload. You'll probably make Win10 unbootable in the process since you will have now installed an old OS after the new OS.

You may want to look into running Win7 in a virtual machine instead. Win10 comes with Hyper-V which can be installed or you can use Oracle's Virtual Box for free. I keep a bunch of old versions of Windows running in Virtual Box for support purposes.

scriveyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Aug 15, 2017 14:52 as a reply to mike_d's post |  #11

Will a virtual machine remember the settings (say, which program to use for any given file extension, display settings for Windows Explorer, favourites, etc.) after the computer/VM has been powered down and restarted?

C&C welcome

I Jazz

mike_d
Goldmember
4,977 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 15, 2017 14:53 |  #12

scriveyn wrote in post #18428534 (external link)
Will a virtual machine remember the settings (say, which program to use for any given file extension, display settings for Windows Explorer, favourites, etc.) after the computer/VM has been powered down and restarted?

Yes, the software and operating system inside the VM works exactly as if it were on physical hardware. It doesn't know the difference.

scriveyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Aug 15, 2017 15:00 |  #13

Thx Mike, I'll take your arguments on board :-)

C&C welcome

I Jazz

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,227 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 15, 2017 15:29 |  #14

mike_d wrote in post #18428521 (external link)
You may want to look into running Win7 in a virtual machine instead. Win10 comes with Hyper-V which can be installed or you can use Oracle's Virtual Box for free. I keep a bunch of old versions of Windows running in Virtual Box for support purposes.

I definitely recommend Virtualbox. Very easy to set up, shared folders, shared network cards - very powerful.

https://www.virtualbox​.org/wiki/VirtualBox (external link)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Aug 25, 2017 17:38 |  #15

mike_d wrote in post #18428521 (external link)
I doubt Win10 will only allow software from the app store any time soon as they'd literally be slitting their own throats. People and businesses use Windows because it runs a massive base of existing software.

Agreed, not sure where the idea comes from that Microsoft is going to limit software to only stuff from the app store, that is something much more likely to happen from a company like Apple. Microsoft is founded on the idea of running on lots of different hardware and running applications from lots of different authors. I would say there is less than a 0.001% chance that Windows 10 will ever be locked down to App Store software only.

If the OP has concerns about running a corporate controlled OS however, I would recommend a dual-boot between Linux & Windows, not Windows & Windows.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links

1,855 views & 8 likes for this thread
Dual Boot - Win7/Win10 - has anyone tried this?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.