Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports
Thread started 14 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 23:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

question about motorsport photography

Inmotion-Photos
89 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Aug 16, 2017 02:59 |  #61

I always use JPG for motorsport. I have about 80GB with me at a F1 weekend or Le Mans week, and I use it all with JPG. With RAW my compact flash cards are full in 1 day.
And you can edit white balance, color, curves etc with a JPG as well in Photoshop. Ofcourse, a bit better with RAW, but for me it offers little benefits.

Website: http://www.inmotion-photos.comexternal link | Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/inmotion.photoexternal link | Twitter: http://twitter.com/Inm​otionphotosexternal link

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 16, 2017 04:35 |  #62

It's occasionally been said, that shooting RAW is for folks that can't get the exposure right in the first place... ;-)a

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 2 months ago by PhotosGuy.
Aug 16, 2017 09:21 |  #63

joeseph wrote in post #18429001 (external link)
It's occasionally been said, that shooting RAW is for folks that can't get the exposure right in the first place... ;-)a

That's not necessarily true. Put your camera on a tripod.
Take one shot of a static subject in RAW.
Without moving the camera or changing the focus, take another in large jpg.
Convert the RAW image to jpg.
Then look at the file sizes. The jpg from RAW is considerably larger than the in camera large jpg. Why throw those extra bits away if you intend to make prints?

+ I'll always recommend RAW because, as we learn more, we can go back & reprocess & possibly salvage a once in a lifetime shot.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 16, 2017 10:56 |  #64

Inmotion-Photos wrote in post #18428986 (external link)
I always use JPG for motorsport. I have about 80GB with me at a F1 weekend or Le Mans week, and I use it all with JPG. With RAW my compact flash cards are full in 1 day.
And you can edit white balance, color, curves etc with a JPG as well in Photoshop. Ofcourse, a bit better with RAW, but for me it offers little benefits.

Crikey!!! that's approximately 12,000 images.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

Inmotion-Photos
89 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Aug 17, 2017 02:24 |  #65

john crossley wrote in post #18429228 (external link)
Crikey!!! that's approximately 12,000 images.

I meant to say, I use the card only with JPG because with RAW they are full during a week Le Mans.

Website: http://www.inmotion-photos.comexternal link | Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/inmotion.photoexternal link | Twitter: http://twitter.com/Inm​otionphotosexternal link

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 17, 2017 05:04 |  #66

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18429142 (external link)
+ I'll always recommend RAW because, as we learn more, we can go back & reprocess & possibly salvage a once in a lifetime shot.

me too, for what I shoot (and looking back to shots I've take in the pre-raw days)

but depending on the intended output/audience for the shots, there is a case to be made that if the shot is correctly exposed in camera & doesn't need "salvaging" then the cost in time for processing would exceed any benefit of "improvement" that may be had by shooting RAW and adjusting later.

On the topic of throwing away extra bits, all cameras have the option to save the shots in lower-than-full resolution. I can't think of a single reason why the professional photographer would choose any of the lower resolutions, but I can see that anything shot in jpeg (rather than RAW) is immediately shareable, whereas anything in RAW often causes issues where the viewer doesn't have the right codec to even open the file.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Tessa
Playing with fire
Joined Sep 2008
Estonia
Aug 21, 2017 09:41 |  #67

I shot in JPG for years, then went to RAW about two years ago. Now I curse myself for not doing it sooner... So RAW only for me now.

Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

16,820 views & 3 likes for this thread
question about motorsport photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.