Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 07 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 13:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Aug 15, 2017 22:33 |  #3436

Talley wrote in post #18428840 (external link)
Who is training who?
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Talley in
./showthread.php?p=184​28840&i=i114025772
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Having had dogs for 40 years, the answer is easy. The dogs have us right where they want us. ;-)a

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

sponsored links
George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 16, 2017 05:59 |  #3437

Nice photos :)

I know nothing about bike photography, one thing that struck me was, and this just my opinion... I think The product shots would look better without the bike lift holding it up. I have no idea how you would not use one, but it just struck me that they would look better for some reason.

Hope you don't mind me saying that.

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
Joined Nov 2012
Northeast Georgia
Aug 16, 2017 09:25 |  #3438

Harth wrote in post #18428426 (external link)
Latest senior session with 5DIV and xplor 600 camera right:
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WvNG​rB] (external link)Senior2K18 (external link) by Chris Harth (external link), on Flickr

Following on Flickr!! Excellent work

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

PJJ205
192 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post has been edited 3 months ago by PJJ205.
Aug 16, 2017 10:29 as a reply to George Zip's post |  #3439

Not offended at all! Wish I knew how I could pull that off. Bikes are pretty heavy, and the smallest thing that I could have used to have it stand like it's on it's own would be a triangle stand that I could have photoshopped out, but even then then bike would be leaning at an angle. I was in a big rush because this was the first project I worked on solely by myself so I showed up early, which was apparently late at the same time to the rest of the media that was there. The rider that I was working with is a multi time champion (Tyler Bowers) and I'm just a hobbyist helping out an industry buddy. I didn't want to hold the rider up so I worked as fast as I could to get some static shots of the bike so he could get out and ride it. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Aug 16, 2017 11:18 |  #3440

PJJ205 wrote in post #18429204 (external link)
Not offended at all! Wish I knew how I could pull that off. Bikes are pretty heavy, and the smallest thing that I could have used to have it stand like it's on it's own would be a triangle stand that I could have photoshopped out, but even then then bike would be leaning at an angle. I was in a big rush because this was the first project I worked on solely by myself so I showed up early, which was apparently late at the same time to the rest of the media that was there. The rider that I was working with is a multi time champion (Tyler Bowers) and I'm just a hobbyist helping out an industry buddy. I didn't want to hold the rider up so I worked as fast as I could to get some static shots of the bike so he could get out and ride it. Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Here's one possible suggestion, though it would look kind of weird with the resulting image showing a floating bike. But nonetheless, it'll be stand-less.

Setup the bike on the stand, and take the photo with the camera on a tripod (that way the position/angle/distanc​e doesn't change). Then remove the bike and stand and take a second image with the same exposure settings and you'll just have to composite them later in post. The stand looks like it would be relatively easy to paste out with minimal editing time in post.

I suppose if there was a slightly lower stand that at least allow the wheels to touch the ground slightly while still fully supporting the bike would be better. But elevating bikes aren't bad either. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

white ­ venom
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2011
Knoxville, Tennessee
Aug 16, 2017 11:55 |  #3441

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4391/36611548415_a783ff19fe_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XMeK​Pn] (external link)5D4_3405-pano (external link) by RJ Prusik (external link), on Flickr

Gear List~Website (external link)~Facebook (external link)~500px (external link)~flickr (external link)~SmugMug (external link)
Feedback-1 2345

Patbil10
Joined Apr 2014
Aylmer, Quebec
Aug 16, 2017 12:15 |  #3442

The dynamic range on this camera is quite impressive and very useful ! Love this camera !

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4374/36437407181_75cb7828df_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XvRe​Gi] (external link)untitled-9759 (external link) by Patrick Bilodeau (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

Harth
Joined Jan 2013
Pacific Northwest
Aug 16, 2017 13:13 |  #3443

EightEleven wrote in post #18429144 (external link)
Following on Flickr!! Excellent work

Thanks, glad you like the feed! I've been trying to add to it more.

Chris
Washington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link) // Facebook (external link) // Instagram (external link)

jmphotography
Joined Aug 2015
Post has been edited 3 months ago by jmphotography.
Aug 16, 2017 14:18 |  #3444

I really have been enjoying this camera for the last several months. It is a good upgrade from the 5D3. Here are a few lighthouses from my trip to Maine.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4382/36551689015_902f0c2f4d_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4426/36089709320_b5b35ac1a0_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4413/36089702650_d1c397d14e_b.jpg

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Aug 16, 2017 15:32 |  #3445

recent sunrise, it is just about to say hello

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,142 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 16, 2017 23:54 |  #3446

A quick shot of the kid as she demanded a photo from the dad who was playing with gear :) Love this kid.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 17, 2017 06:26 |  #3447

PJJ205 wrote in post #18429204 (external link)

I wonder if you could use those bike tiedowns for trailers... the ones that go trough the handlebars.... into some stakes on the ground or something, and photoshop out the straps??

I dunno how that would even be done. I don't even have photoshop installed. I only use Lightroom.

Or borrow Harry Potters invisibility Cloak and have a mate hold it.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Aug 17, 2017 06:36 |  #3448

From a bike fan, though not a dirt bike rider, there's is absolutely nothing wrong with using the stand under the bike. The only thing better to use would be a current AMA/GP MX or SX star (factory rider for the brand being photographed) standing behind it off the stand. The shots you've posted are great;

Gear List

gschlact
Joined Jan 2010
Chicago 'burbs
Aug 17, 2017 11:59 |  #3449

Trout Bum wrote in post #18414334 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Trout Bum in
./showthread.php?p=184​14334&i=i228286625

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Trout Bum in
./showthread.php?p=184​14334&i=i58784375

Just FYI, hyperfocal distance of 24mm f4 is 15.8ft. it gives everything from 8ft to infinity in focus.

gschlact
Joined Jan 2010
Chicago 'burbs
Aug 17, 2017 12:15 |  #3450

digital paradise wrote in post #18416402 (external link)
What you say does make sense. I have always described it that way but I was never really sure it was correct and no one ever mentioned it. Maybe the forum experts can chime in.

digital paradise wrote in post #18416412 (external link)
I read your post again and based on that link I posted.

In the printing, graphic design and photography industries, cropping[1] is the removal of unwanted areas from a photographic or illustrated image.

So it appears if you crop 100% then there will be nothing left. If you crop 90% then only 10% is left to view.

In my opinion, Best Practice to describe a crop, is to do what our friend Romy does. Romy always indicates the remaining dimensions after a crop and then indicates any further resolution resizing.

In my opinion, with the exception of using a 100%crop description indicating these are the only remaining pixels, I believe most people using the xx% incorrectly describing how much they kept instead of discarded.

sponsored links

854,917 views & 13609 likes for this thread
-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.