Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 15 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 08:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help needed - Manfrotto quick release problem

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Aug 15, 2017 08:26 |  #1

I have multiple tripods and cameras which all use the Manfrotto quick release plate.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...200PL_Mounting_Plat​e.html (external link)

The plates stay on the cameras at all times.

I just purchased a new camera and the tripod mount hole on the bottom is too close to the battery / memory card door.

If a plate is attached, to change a battery or memory card, the plate will need to be removed.

I have researched this and can find no solution.

The thread is a common 1/4 - 20 and I can probably go to the hardware store and create a solution.

But before doing that, I'm wondering if anybody else has a solution for this.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,353 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 15, 2017 08:49 |  #2

What camera (make & model) are you trying to mount it to?

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Aug 15, 2017 12:43 |  #3

John from PA wrote in post #18428219 (external link)
What camera (make & model) are you trying to mount it to?

Canon SX60 HS.

As I said, the plates are on other cameras - full frames and crops. And yes, the FF bodies are bigger but the SX60 body ain't that small. Canon placed the 1/4-20 hole literally right on the edge of the door. There ain't no way I can get a plate permanently attached. Looking for solutions. Thanks for asking.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,353 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 16, 2017 06:11 |  #4

Yep, I see your issue and I think you'll likely have to live with removal of the quick release plate when needed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,353 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 16, 2017 07:26 |  #5

You could also make up an "extender" of sorts. Something similar to what I've shown below. The extender would best be made of material about 3/8 inch thick. You might want to try this with a piece of wood initially to check fit and function.

HOSTED PHOTO

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Picture North Carolina. 4 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2017 08:06 |  #6

John,

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to help and post.

Interesting idea. At first I was thinking about some sort of riser - hardware or assembled hardware items (easily found at the hardware store) that would result in a male 1/4-20 on one end, and a female on the other. About 2 inches in height would be enough to open the door. But of course that would compromise the the stability of the tripod mounting.

Good idea. Yes, the plate would need to be somewhat thick because the native tripod mount is counter sunk into the camera body and I would need at least a 1/4" thread bite on the end where the plate mounts. Very good. Best solution so far.

As a point of interest, I have emailed Manfrotto and others who specialize in tripods and such. Nobody has emailed back which I assume means they have no ready-made solutions. This is just one camera. I assume other cameras have the same design hurdle. You think they would have a solution ready to go.

If it's all right with you, I would like to grab the pics from your post and email to Manfrotto. Perhaps they did not understand the problem.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,353 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 16, 2017 09:09 |  #7

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18429070 (external link)
If it's all right with you, I would like to grab the pics from your post and email to Manfrotto. Perhaps they did not understand the problem.

Feel free to use the pictures. IMHO Manfrotto is not likely to have a solution for a small marketplace problem that has really been created by Canon.

I wonder is one of the Manfrotto mounting accesories might work. Something like the image below (see https://www.manfrotto.​us ...ctangular-plate-1-4-screw (external link)) could be modified in length and perhaps fit. Its made of polymer so a hacksaw could be used to customize the one end to allow clearance with the battery compartment. A file could be used to round off any edges. Sorry, I don't have the camera so best I can do is work from pictures

HOSTED PHOTO

Blackey ­ Cole
479 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Alamogordo New Mexico
Aug 16, 2017 12:20 |  #8

I switched all my Manfrotto qr setups to the area Swiss systems so I didn't have to worry about having the right plate for this tripod head or a different one for that setup. Only one required using a adapter using a qr plate to the base one I only use rarely the rest were simple swap out bases using generic bases one required a special base that was easily purchased now I can use l brackets on my bodies if I need or just a flat one if I'm not shooting portrait format on one or two I will need the l bracket but the rest can do portrait on the body without the l brackets.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today!external link

Gear List

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Aug 16, 2017 14:34 |  #9

John from PA wrote in post #18429121 (external link)
Feel free to use the pictures. IMHO Manfrotto is not likely to have a solution for a small marketplace problem that has really been created by Canon.

I wonder is one of the Manfrotto mounting accesories might work. Something like the image below (see https://www.manfrotto.​us ...ctangular-plate-1-4-screw (external link)) could be modified in length and perhaps fit. Its made of polymer so a hacksaw could be used to customize the one end to allow clearance with the battery compartment. A file could be used to round off any edges. Sorry, I don't have the camera so best I can do is work from pictures

Hmmm. Another idea. And I'm thinking I would not need to hacksaw it, either. I'm thinking that drilling a hole on the end and mounting their (or my own) 1/4-20 would work. It would be offset on the plate, but once cinched down on the camera, should suffice. Thanks.

Blackey - worth looking into. Thanks.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 17, 2017 04:44 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #18429043 (external link)
You could also make up an "extender" of sorts. Something similar to what I've shown below. The extender would best be made of material about 3/8 inch thick. You might want to try this with a piece of wood initially to check fit and function.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by John from PA in
./showthread.php?p=184​29043&i=i43507533
forum: DIY & Customizing

funny, I was thinking something very similar...
would suggest making something with small "legs" that extend either side of the battery door though, otherwise all the twisting force is on the screw only...

Can't understand how the SX60 design passed the "common sense" phase in the manufacturing process though! what were they thinking? :-)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Picture North Carolina.
Aug 17, 2017 07:24 |  #11

joeseph wrote in post #18429843 (external link)
Can't understand how the SX60 design passed the "common sense" phase in the manufacturing process though! what were they thinking? :-)

My thinking, too. It's not just the QR plate, but ANYTHING mounted in the tripod hole is going to interfere with the door. Flash bracket, doo-dad holder, whatever... anything.

Very unintuitive design. I intend to email canon support - not as a complaint or a criticism, but rather as a "I have a problem, can you help me solve it?" query.

But I have no hopes. Canon is a giant. Trying to turn them is like trying to turn a huge oil tanker at sea.

Maybe a warning YouTube video will get attention. But alas, probably not a good idea. Google might censor it as "hate speech."

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,353 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 17, 2017 08:16 |  #12

My best thing to compare is the wife's Elph 300 which has a similar layout. On that camera, since the memory card/battery door slides to release and open. In the released position there is 3/8 inch measured from the center of the tripod mount to the door when perpendicular to the camera body. There actually is plenty of room for the 1/4-20 fastener with some "meat" to provide strength.

Again, this is an Elph so the SX60HS may be totally different.

HOSTED PHOTO

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,964 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Aug 17, 2017 08:31 |  #13

I have shot Canon since rocks were lava - 20D, 30D, SLi's, Txi's, 5D's, 5D2's, and so forth. I have never had this problem.

Until the SX60. Canon designers really dropped the ball on this one. I'm wondering if the soon-to-be-released SX60 replacement - the SX70 - will have the same design.

sponsored links

586 views & 1 like for this thread
Help needed - Manfrotto quick release problem
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.