Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Mar 2017 (Tuesday) 09:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting 5,000 products

Shawn_BS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2009
New Jersey
Mar 31, 2017 12:02 |  #31

He countered my offer with 33 cents a photo.

I passed.

Thanks for all the great advice though, gave me a lot to think about when it comes to product photography. Y'all are awesome!

Canon EOS 7D, EOS 80D | Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini (2nd gen.) | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E2 controller

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,824 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Mar 31, 2017 13:25 |  #32

Shawn_BS wrote in post #18315810 (external link)

Geeez! I expected them to cheap out, but didn't think they'd have the balls to break the dollar barrier.
It's been kind of fun thinking about how best to do the job, though. Next time I bet you'll ask "Whats your budget?" first thing, right? ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Apr 01, 2017 16:50 |  #33

Shawn_BS wrote in post #18315810 (external link)

I passed.

Thanks for all the great advice though, gave me a lot to think about when it comes to product photography. Y'all are awesome!

holy shart.

i am literally laughing out loud. 2 bucks a product?

please try and find out if someone takes this job and report back. this could be some good internetting.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Apr 01, 2017 16:51 |  #34

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18315895 (external link)
"Whats your budget?" first thing, right? ; )

yup. It is not an easy question to ask, but often saves a lot of time and effort on dumb asses.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Luckless
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Apr 04, 2017 11:15 |  #35

This specific client might be a dud, but the project concept is still an interesting one to think about.

Having a background in computers would really come in handy. For something like this I would really want to have a barcode scanner and automation software. If you're manually keying in product codes or typing names, then you're wasting a lot of time that could be used for setting up actual shots. However if you have all your data set up ahead of time, keyed to the product barcode or product code, then the process ideally becomes almost as streamlined as going through a checkout.

Another important thing is going to be organization and good batch planning. What products are quickly shot together? Jumping between a box for one shot and then trying to set up the lighting to get a good photo of a bunch of bananas and then back to another box is not going to make the task quick or easy.

Building a system that would let you generate interactive checklists would probably be a nice bonus as well. As you enter products into the system you would ideally have a list that provides a link to each of the specific views, and a sign-off function. Or even better a webpage like interface where each item is shown with all the photos at once, one item at a time, and rated pass or fail. Quality control kind of thing, double checking that the correct product has been photographed to a usable quality, and each image is in fact labeled and stored where it is supposed to be.

Report generation on pending items vs finished items would be handy, maybe broken further down into states like the item has been collected and is ready for photography, and has been photographed but not yet returned to stock. The goal there would be making sure the proper items are collected and readied for photography, and items aren't skipped or duplicated during collection.

Then there are storage conditions to consider. If you're doing frozen or refrigerated goods you need to decide how are you handling those. Are they being kept in sale-ready condition? Are you collecting and storing them prior to photography in a manner that is safe to return them to stock for sale? If not, do you want to thaw them out and deal with them at room temp to avoid condensation?

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Apr 04, 2017 19:20 |  #36

Luckless wrote in post #18319269 (external link)
This specific client might be a dud, but the project concept is still an interesting one to think about...

This is a great idea. As you said, while the job may not materialized, there is plenty of conversation in this topic. I do product photography but have not yet had the fortune to land such a large job. All I can do is take my current workflows and expand on them, but you are right that there are alot of other considerations not initially foreseeable. I would love for someone who's done this chime in with their workflow.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Having too much fun in the studio
Apr 15, 2017 10:02 |  #37

Wow... 33 cents per photo?
Horses for courses I guess.

We were asked to bid last year for a project that involved 100 packaging images for a large consumer package group company that was redesigning it's entire line of product. All frozen fish for retail packaging (as seen in the supermarkets). The design firm that requested the bid was upfront about budget- $150,000.00. We were able to make the numbers work in our proposal but truthfully not without a lot of 'finessing' of rates for food stylists, food stylist assistants, prop stylists, digital techs, assistants, et. etc.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Apr 15, 2017 10:13 |  #38

Luckless wrote in post #18319269 (external link)
This specific client might be a dud, but the project concept is still an interesting one to think about.

Having a background in computers would really come in handy. For something like this I would really want to have a barcode scanner and automation software. If you're manually keying in product codes or typing names, then you're wasting a lot of time that could be used for setting up actual shots. However if you have all your data set up ahead of time, keyed to the product barcode or product code, then the process ideally becomes almost as streamlined as going through a checkout.

Another important thing is going to be organization and good batch planning. What products are quickly shot together? Jumping between a box for one shot and then trying to set up the lighting to get a good photo of a bunch of bananas and then back to another box is not going to make the task quick or easy.

Building a system that would let you generate interactive checklists would probably be a nice bonus as well. As you enter products into the system you would ideally have a list that provides a link to each of the specific views, and a sign-off function. Or even better a webpage like interface where each item is shown with all the photos at once, one item at a time, and rated pass or fail. Quality control kind of thing, double checking that the correct product has been photographed to a usable quality, and each image is in fact labeled and stored where it is supposed to be.

Report generation on pending items vs finished items would be handy, maybe broken further down into states like the item has been collected and is ready for photography, and has been photographed but not yet returned to stock. The goal there would be making sure the proper items are collected and readied for photography, and items aren't skipped or duplicated during collection.

Then there are storage conditions to consider. If you're doing frozen or refrigerated goods you need to decide how are you handling those. Are they being kept in sale-ready condition? Are you collecting and storing them prior to photography in a manner that is safe to return them to stock for sale? If not, do you want to thaw them out and deal with them at room temp to avoid condensation?

Canon includes a solution with a "specialized" camera that includes the ability to print bar codes and tie them to a custom data set. You include the barcode in the frame, it is recognized and the data is bound to the file, including naming.

Pretty sure I'm not making that up, lol, think it was sold with the 7D

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Apr 15, 2017 10:33 |  #39

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18328569 (external link)
...think it was sold with the 7D

Well, this is something I didn't know was available. Thank you for bringing this up. I read the article, "professional Canon camera now supports barcode reader, (external link)" that gives a quick overview of how it works.

Apparently this is the first camera to support 'in-camera' marrying of barcode data with an image file. Previously (or alternatively) it would have been done on capture into a computer. Looks like it was geared towards the school and sports portrait photographers who need some way to match the images with the child. I.e.

• Child fills out a form with name and address. That form has a unique ID printed on it in barcode form
  • Child sits down for the photo, hands the assistant/photographer the form and the barcode is scanned
  • Photographer takes photos knowing those images are now tagged with that child's unique ID number
  • Next child comes in and the process is repeated. How simple is that?

I can see how that could be useful for large scale product shoots, specially since almost all products (if not ALL products) have a barcode/UPC. That can be married to a master list provided by the client, etc.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Aug 18, 2017 04:24 |  #40

It will be better to charge per photo basis. Are you going to do the basic photo editing task that will be needed by yourself as well?

sponsored links

3,395 views & 18 likes for this thread
Shooting 5,000 products
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.