Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 18 Feb 2010 (Thursday) 11:08
Prev/next
Poll"Pro Sports Shooters: RAW or JPEG?"
RAW
52.2%
JPEG
47.8%

157 voters, 157 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pro Sports Shooters: RAW or JPEG?

darynv
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2015
Boksburg
Aug 18, 2017 05:01 |  #136

Allow me to offer my input. I think that if you have the space and the correct flow, then shooting in RAW is definitely advantageous. That being said, as I have a 40D, my RAW files are smaller than JPEG on my 6D. I often shoot 300-600+ images of BMX racing on a weekend, but I have created my own preset that works for me and my style. So I can get home, select a hundred or so images in LR and apply my own preset, then I MAY have to tweak one or two images individually thereafter, then they are ready. Often my 2 biggest bottlenecks are my download to "Computer" and the export and upload to Social Media, sometimes these two processes take longer than the editing and selecting process. IF you decide that you might want to work on an image in detail later, then having it in RAW is beneficial, otherwise JPEG is more than adequate.

Dad to a BMX rockstar and lover of most sports, in particular 2 and 4 wheels

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,714 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Aug 18, 2017 05:19 |  #137

darynv wrote in post #18430681 (external link)
Allow me to offer my input. I think that if you have the space and the correct flow, then shooting in RAW is definitely advantageous. That being said, as I have a 40D, my RAW files are smaller than JPEG on my 6D. I often shoot 300-600+ images of BMX racing on a weekend, but I have created my own preset that works for me and my style. So I can get home, select a hundred or so images in LR and apply my own preset, then I MAY have to tweak one or two images individually thereafter, then they are ready. Often my 2 biggest bottlenecks are my download to "Computer" and the export and upload to Social Media, sometimes these two processes take longer than the editing and selecting process. IF you decide that you might want to work on an image in detail later, then having it in RAW is beneficial, otherwise JPEG is more than adequate.

A big part of this is what model of Canon you have. The JPG engine in the 40D is the old-school more inferior engine over the newer bodies. As of the SL1/70D/5D3, I believe, the new JPG engine was introduced, creating much crisper higher quality JPG results. These are almost to the point that there is limited improvements you can make in the raw and convert afterwards to get a better result.

I would never take the JPG from older bodies like the 7D and 5D2, etc, the raw through a processor to a TIFF/JPG was always better. This is no longer the case with the newer models.

In summary, an out of camera JPG is not always equal across models, so the answer depends a bit on model #.

A poll with 2 answers per model would be interesting, where people could vote across many items with their history with those bodies. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

17,381 views & 6 likes for this thread
Pro Sports Shooters: RAW or JPEG?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.