Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 21 Aug 2017 (Monday) 09:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon G1x Mkii Sensor vs Canon G7x Sensor

shocolite
Joined Mar 2014
Ireland (when I do get home!)
Post has been edited 2 months ago by shocolite.
Aug 21, 2017 09:48 |  #1

I couldn’t find any posts comparing the two camera sensors, sorry if it has been discussed previously!

I’m looking to purchase either a G7x (either mki or ii) or a G1x mkii. I want a decent compact camera for work purposes. I work in the middle east in the oil industry and DSLRs are often banned.

I already have a G7x (mki) but I want to leave it at home for family use and want a second compact camera to leave in the office. I am not interested in other brands and the general specs of the G7x and G1x mk ii both meet my needs.

I am trying to quantify the benefits of the G1x mkii 1.5” 12MP sensor over the G7x 1” 20MP sensor. My photos are usually taken in daylight on moving structures so lowlight capability not an issue and always taken handheld (due to movement/machinery vibration) so faster shutter speeds are usually required.

The other factor is the G1x mkii is available at a lower cost of the G7x on the UK market and I am considering to purchase second-hand.

I’ve seen some online reviews that indicate for the type of photography I will be undertaking that there is not much benefit to the larger sensor/ lower MP of the G1x mkii vs the smaller sensor/higher MP of the G7x.

Also, whilst not a deal-breaker, I do like the compactness of the G7x. It is what I consider "pocketable" but I can live with the slightly bigger lens housing of the G1x mkii.

What do you think? Would the G1x mkii sensor be better than the G7x? Thanks in advance!

Canon 80D & 700D; EF-S 10-18/18-55/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 17-40 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

379 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon G1x Mkii Sensor vs Canon G7x Sensor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.