Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 21 Aug 2017 (Monday) 09:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding Photos Feedback

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by thc1979. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 21, 2017 09:06 |  #1

Hi all, we recently got married and we've had our wedding photos back. Obviously had to hire a photographer as my arms aren't that long but the majority I feel are quite poor so would anyone be willing to have a look at them for a second opinion? I don't want to just post them on here as it may be a bit unfair but could PM a dropbox link. I'm not sure if I'll say anything to the photographer yet, I probably wont as it's done and dusted now, but really maybe I was expecting too much. Luckily we have other photos from friends and family. The quality was nowhere near the guys portfolio, it almost seems like he's sent the wrong images.
One thing that really stood out to me was when he brought the photos on a USB stick - he said there were two versions one lot at 72dpi and another lot at 300dpi. I have no idea what this could achieve when viewing them on a computer!
Cheers,

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

sponsored links
deronsizemore
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 21, 2017 09:09 |  #2

I'm not a pro wedding photographer, but I'd be glad to take a peek and share my thoughts whatever those are worth to you.

http://www.famsnap.com (external link)
5DMII | Canon 40 f/2.8 STM | Canon 84mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
500px (external link) | Flickr (external link)

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 21, 2017 09:09 |  #3

Sorry I just realised I posted this in the photo sharing forum! Doh!

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

deronsizemore
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 1 month ago by deronsizemore.
Aug 21, 2017 09:44 |  #4

Took a quick look. My initial impression was very "meh." It seems like a mixed bag as I scrolled through them all. Some seemed to have little to no post processing (white balance seemed off for starters on a lot of them), some seemed to be over processed for my liking (almost an HDRish type feel or maybe just got a little too crazy with the contrast slider). I think there's a handful of photos in the bunch that could be okay if a little effort was put forth in post. A lot of them the framing wasn't really ideal and there were more than a few that had too much motion blur for my liking to be considered a "keeper"

In all I guess it depends on how much you paid this photographer. If it was substantial, then I think I'd be upset with the results.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,082 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 21, 2017 09:46 |  #5

where are the photos?

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 21, 2017 09:50 |  #6

Talley wrote in post #18433149 (external link)
where are the photos?

I purposely haven't posted them (I think it's unfair plus there are quite a few), I'll send you a link in a PM if you are interested?

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 21, 2017 09:54 |  #7

deronsizemore wrote in post #18433148 (external link)
Took a quick look. My initial impression was very "meh." It seems like a mixed bag as I scrolled through them all. Some seemed to have little to no post processing (white balance seemed off for starters on a lot of them), some seemed to be over processed for my liking (almost an HDRish type feel or maybe just got a little too crazy with the contrast slider). I think there's a handful of photos in the bunch that could be okay if a little effort was put forth in post. A lot of them the framing wasn't really ideal and there were more than a few that had too much motion blur for my liking to be considered a "keeper"

In all I guess it depends on how much you paid this photographer. If it was substantial, then I think I'd be upset with the results.

he wasn't who we booked, but the photographer couldn't do it due to family commitments so arranged for another photographer to do and paid him etc. We checked his website and all looked ok. Like I said it's as if we've been sent the wrong photos, but his comments regarding dpi were a bit worrying.

thanks for taking the time to look at them, your points were pretty much what I had thought.

deronsizemore
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 1 month ago by deronsizemore.
Aug 21, 2017 09:59 as a reply to thc1979's post |  #8

he wasn't who we booked, but the photographer couldn't do it due to family commitments so arranged for another photographer to do and paid him etc. We checked his website and all looked ok. Like I said it's as if we've been sent the wrong photos, but his comments regarding dpi were a bit worrying. thanks for taking the time to look at them, your points were pretty much what I had thought.

Oh yeah. I missed the dpi comment originally I guess. I assume he's insinuating that one set (72dpi) is for web sharing the the second (300dpi) is for print, but who knows?

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 21, 2017 10:07 as a reply to deronsizemore's post |  #9

... as if he thinks 300dpi is full resolution !

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,082 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 21, 2017 11:00 |  #10

deronsizemore wrote in post #18433148 (external link)

I feel the same.

Out of the 135 there was about 15-20 that with some post would be really usable nice images. There was about 20% blur and 20% poor composition and/or lack of any post at all. Further more my taste is no direct flash and many of the flashed shots had harsh shadows from direct flash. The outdoor stuff had alot of no flash especially the groups which flash really brings out the eyes and lifts all shadows. I'm left away with a "meh" except for those 15-20 images.

Overall I'd say about $400 worth for something like this. I've seen what $250 does, I've seen what 1,000 does and I've seen what $3k+ does.

It definitely makes a difference.

My Gear Archive

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited 1 month ago by thc1979.
Aug 21, 2017 11:36 |  #11

Talley wrote in post #18433204 (external link)
I feel the same.

Out of the 135 there was about 15-20 that with some post would be really usable nice images. There was about 20% blur and 20% poor composition and/or lack of any post at all. Further more my taste is no direct flash and many of the flashed shots had harsh shadows from direct flash. The outdoor stuff had alot of no flash especially the groups which flash really brings out the eyes and lifts all shadows. I'm left away with a "meh" except for those 15-20 images.

Overall I'd say about $400 worth for something like this. I've seen what $250 does, I've seen what 1,000 does and I've seen what $3k+ does.

It definitely makes a difference.

But would you pay someone $400 for poorly composed, out of focus images and accept that's the limit of their talents? Considering the bloke was constantly chimping the images I assumed he was checking them and they would be ok otherwise he'd have re-shot them. Some of our guests did better with their iPhones. Certainly not on par with his advertised portfolio.

I think we paid about £400 (UK), it was a mid-week wedding and he was there with us for about 3 or 4 hours. Maybe what I'm saying is that although we didn't pay top price for a top photographer I was expecting the photos to technically ok.

I'm not sure whether to ask if he's sent me the correct set of photos?!

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,082 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Talley.
Aug 21, 2017 11:59 |  #12

Certaintly if they don't reflect his portfolio then I would send a concern. Mind you I am not a professional photographer I'm just a dad but still I envision me if I was a pro photographer OR client I would expect a sit down discussion and plan out all the shots we would want and expect and also would like to see samples from his last 5 weddings as well.

Again I've seen worse... for about $250 for 8 hours. Pretty bad. From what I reviewed I would of estimated about $400 for the 4hrs and I'm about on par with what I'm seeing. Remember there is still post and delivery and such that takes up just as much time unless you have a person hired to do the post for you.

One of the biggest issues I notice was the big windows that would be projecting 5000k colored light and then you have the strong tungsten lighting inside so all the color balance is off. As a pro I would request a preview of the venue during the timeframe the wedding would be going on and then I would have to make such preparations such as apply filters to the windows or replacing the lighting to all be color matched. You think that is crazy??? I've seen it done at a wedding venue but the guy was getting paid a small car for his photos. The result was perfect lighting that was color balanced and true.

If he was advertising $2,000 worth of work and gave you $400 then perhaps question it but if he advertised $400 work and this is what you got then I'd say he did "ok". Needs some more experience as second shooter perhaps to gain a bit more knowledge of keeping shutter up and/or start bouncing the light better.

If I paid $400 and got that I would be thankful that someone captured the memories. I'd flip everything to B&W and do some quick post print for the wife and as long as she is happy of the result then live life happy. Seems like that photographer only really got about $50/hr w/ trip time and post work.

If you really feel like saying something be encouraging and respectful. Say I liked this but the lighting we should of thought about that lighting and done maybe this... I dunno it's tough.

My Gear Archive

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited 1 month ago by thc1979.
Aug 21, 2017 13:31 as a reply to Talley's post |  #13

I understand what you're saying but I wouldn't send an out of focus image to someone for free! If the quality of his images is based on how much he's getting paid he ought to have charged us more. I also understand that better photographers can charge more than others and you get what you pay for but all photographers with any self respect should be producing technically good images (focus/sharpness/colou​r/etc). How well they tell a story or convey the day is down the experience of the photographer.

I did query the price and he said that was the going rate for a few hours mid week and he was about what others had quoted. He didn't say that for that price it would be crap but for more money he'd make an effort. As I said his previous work looked very good so I guess we've just been unlucky or he has actually sent us the wrong images!

If anything it reassures me in my own work! Maybe I should start getting into weddings if this is what people are churning out, but I like my weekends too much for that!

I don't know whether to just leave it or find a way of asking if they are the correct set without upsetting him, in the hope there are some more floating about.

We weren't sure about the weather that day or how he would handle it, so as a backup I had my 5D4 and a few lenses in the car. He was chimping so much I thought he must have got everything right so didn't bother doing any myself. Maybe he was just checking the time or something!

As above he wasn't who we originally booked so I may mention it to him so at least he can see what he's recommended. He might also be able to suggest how to approach it

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,082 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 21, 2017 14:11 |  #14

chimping a few times to check exposure is one thing but alot is concerning. As a newb I chimped alot... alot... I realized each time I chimped I was missing a shot. Now that I've learned the camera, it's metering I can run and gun and get exposure close enough to always have workable images... I'll spot check a few in a new scene to confirm but you really at a time especially like a wedding should keep your eye to the camera as much as possible.

Most of the shots just lack the creativity, composure. Get low... get high... move toward a wall... etc interesting photos comes out during times like that. Standing in the walkway taking a photo is exactly why it looks meh. Again I'm not a pro by any means... Just a dad. BUT this guys experience shows in "these" photos and he is new. He needs more time.

Just like me... I need more time. Honestly I wouldn't hire a wedding photog that didn't have 10 years of shooting experience in it. I've heard/read so many times that from the time you start taking photos as a professional that most pro's do feel pro until about 10 years goes by.

For the money you paid you got decent results. You have the memory captured and you can work on the images a bit yourself

My Gear Archive

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,966 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 21, 2017 14:28 |  #15

thc1979 wrote in post #18433126 (external link)
Hi all, we recently got married and we've had our wedding photos back. Obviously had to hire a photographer as my arms aren't that long but the majority I feel are quite poor so would anyone be willing to have a look at them for a second opinion? I don't want to just post them on here as it may be a bit unfair but could PM a dropbox link. I'm not sure if I'll say anything to the photographer yet, I probably wont as it's done and dusted now, but really maybe I was expecting too much. Luckily we have other photos from friends and family. The quality was nowhere near the guys portfolio, it almost seems like he's sent the wrong images.
One thing that really stood out to me was when he brought the photos on a USB stick - he said there were two versions one lot at 72dpi and another lot at 300dpi. I have no idea what this could achieve when viewing them on a computer!
Cheers,

If you are not happy with the quality of the photographs then tell the photographer. After all you're the one that has paid for them. And you're the one that has to look at them.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

sponsored links

3,243 views & 11 likes for this thread
Wedding Photos Feedback
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.