Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 15 May 2017 (Monday) 09:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Solar filters for upcoming eclipse this summer

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Aug 20, 2017 18:54 |  #91

RKSphoto wrote in post #18432753 (external link)
Thanks Dave! I will try that!

your new image post came and went LOL

it was better but you could still brighten further :-)

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links
Littlefield
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
SC, USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Littlefield.
Aug 20, 2017 19:42 as a reply to post 18432726 |  #92

Nice, but man that is a high ISO. Would not have thought about going that high but I have an old 7D.
Don

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 21, 2017 08:36 |  #93

Heavy clouds rolling in from IL. Probably not going to happen for me.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,604 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Aug 21, 2017 12:24 |  #94

Ascenta wrote in post #18433106 (external link)
Heavy clouds rolling in from IL. Probably not going to happen for me.

Yep, I was about to get set up here in central IL and the clouds rolled in. Now we have a thunderstorm beginning. Rats.

Mark J.
Gear

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Ascenta.
Aug 21, 2017 12:52 |  #95

Got a nice break! Getting some nice shots...well as nice as you could with 200mm on a FF; just not quite enough but still fun.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,604 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Aug 21, 2017 14:52 |  #96

Same here. Sky cleared mostly for the major portion, although after the peak it was very hazy.

Mark J.
Gear

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Post has been edited 3 months ago by itsallart.
Aug 21, 2017 15:37 |  #97

We only had a partial eclipse.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,392 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Aug 21, 2017 16:24 |  #98

Littlefield wrote in post #18432790 (external link)
Nice, but man that is a high ISO. Would not have thought about going that high but I have an old 7D.
Don

The 7D can handle 1600 pretty well. Not a sun shot, but a tight moon crop with the 7D. I didn't order an 82mm solar filter soon enough, will have to wait for 6 years or so again.

ISO 1600 on the 7D
https://photos.smugmug​.com .../0fc47b1b/XL/potna-XL.jpg (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,806 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Texas
Aug 22, 2017 06:13 |  #99

No filter. What. An. Experience

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sporadic
Joined May 2008
Charleston, SC
Aug 22, 2017 08:40 |  #100

Clouds and storm rolled in right as the partial started. Only thing I got was my setup test shot :( Had some nice views through the telescope though as the partial started.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4341/36595759191_6a474c005d_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XKQQ​en] (external link)
Eclipse Day 2017 (external link) by smerrick (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-T1 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200
7D | 300/4 L IS

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by sandwedge.
Aug 23, 2017 19:45 |  #101

Final thoughts - I'm posting because I think this thread will be a resource for future eclipses.

First, I have some prior experience photographing the Sun, specifically ISS transits. I realized a while back that my Thousand Oaks film filter forced me to use slow shutter speeds and/or high ISO. For transits, I decided to only use a 10 stop filter, being careful not to look through the viewfinder and only using live view. This way, I was only risking damage to my camera's sensor (which can be replaced) and not my eyesight. For the few transits I used this method, it worked and my sensor wasn't damaged. The settings used were just within the camera's limits: 1/8000, f/22, ISO100.

My original plan for the eclipse was:

Camera 1: Using an iOptron Sky Guider, shoot a timelapse with my 7D, 100-400, 2x tc, with solar filter.
Camera 2: 80D, Siggy 150-600, 1.4 tc, and solar filter for occasional shots. Also would use other lenses for non-solar shots, and would remove solar filter for totality.
Camera 3: T2i used for anything I might want to set up, such as maybe a fisheye.

Then, due to this thread, I realized something that has escaped me for a few years: The Thousand Oaks film that I was using lets in much less light than other safe options, specifically Baader film. After an internet search, I also realized that my film degrades the image IQ worse than the Baader. It was too late to upgrade my filters. I changed my plans:

Camera 1: T2i on guider with solar film. Based on the fact that I'm still new to the guider, I switched to a 1.4 tc with my 100-400, making the Sun's image a little smaller allowing for a little more drift in the frame before I had to adjust it.
Result: I haven't looked at all the frames (800+), but the guider worked relatively well. I had to adjust it 3 or 4 times.

Camera 2: 7D, 150-600, 2x tc, 10 stop ND filter for occasional shots. I planned to shoot 10 pre-totality and 10 post totality shots. Using live view to focus.
Results: These images look great. Sharp. My sensor does not appear to be damaged.

Camera 3: 80D. A few minutes before totality, switch the 150-600 (no filter) to this camera and shoot totality shots. After totality, put the lens back on the 7D.
Results: Great images of totality, although in the rush, I shot all of these at f/10 rather than my planned f/8.

Further results: I was moved by the awesome sight of totality. I didn't really care about getting more partial eclipse photos. After a few minutes of sitting in quiet reflection, I spent the rest of the time talking with the people around me - strangers at 12pm and friends at 2pm. I did allow the timelapse to continue. I believe the shutter died toward the end but this wouldn't be the result of solar shooting. It was just on it's last legs anyway.

Plans for future eclipses ( do I really have to wait 7 years?):

Upgrade Solar filters!

My camera for partial eclipse images will be on a tracker. Either I'll have another tracker or I'll ditch the timelapse. Adjusting the tripod for each shot is a chore. It would have been much more enjoyable If I had used my tracker for this.

For totality, I'll use a computer and have all shots automated. I knew this was possible for this eclipse, but didn't do it. Next time I will, so that the entire time of totality can be spent enjoying the event. I believe in this so strongly that I've already decided that if automation is not possible (for whatever reason), I won't even take photos. I'll just sit back and enjoy the insanely beautiful spectacle in front of me.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

sponsored links

9,392 views & 42 likes for this thread
Solar filters for upcoming eclipse this summer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.