Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 13 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 03:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

M83 with DSLR and 400mm Lens

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Aug 13, 2017 03:04 |  #1

M83 ... this one is a stack of 8 frames (just light frames , no darks or bias)
Canon 6D, 8 x 30 sec exposures, f5.6, ISO3200, Canon 400mm telephoto
(100-400 L IS) stacked in DSS processed in LR

cheers
Dave

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links
Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 14, 2017 19:16 |  #2

This is a nice shot, i am so closer to have images by stacking i hope, just i keep waiting, but once i start i won't stop night after night at best clear nights i mean.

Myabe silly questions, but is your camera changed for astro [modded]?
Did you use any kind of tracking device?
Last question, any filter used?

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Davenn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Aug 17, 2017 04:56 |  #3

Tareq wrote in post #18427757 (external link)
This is a nice shot, i am so closer to have images by stacking i hope, just i keep waiting, but once i start i won't stop night after night at best clear nights i mean.

Hi Tareq
look forward to seeing your first stacking attempts .... don't hesitate to ask questions in the forum, there are plenty of skilled people that are willing to help you out :-)

Maybe silly questions, but is your camera changed for astro [modded]?
Did you use any kind of tracking device?
Last question, any filter used?

Definitely not silly questions

1) My Canon 6D isn't modified ... But I do have a 700D that I modded for astro use. I removed the second of the two IR filters and
narrow banding filter

2) yes, the camera is piggybacked on my telescope and makes use of the Al/Az tracking that it can do but I am limited to around 30 seconds exposure\before frame rotation becomes a problem

3) no, no other filters in the optical path

regards
Dave

Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 17, 2017 19:42 |  #4

Davenn wrote in post #18429845 (external link)
Hi Tareq
look forward to seeing your first stacking attempts .... don't hesitate to ask questions in the forum, there are plenty of skilled people that are willing to help you out :-)

Definitely not silly questions

1) My Canon 6D isn't modified ... But I do have a 700D that I modded for astro use. I removed the second of the two IR filters and
narrow banding filter

2) yes, the camera is piggybacked on my telescope and makes use of the Al/Az tracking that it can do but I am limited to around 30 seconds exposure\before frame rotation becomes a problem

3) no, no other filters in the optical path

regards
Dave

Thank you very much for your answers.

Very strange, i tried yesterday night with a cheap astro camera, 60 frames each for 10 second, used a telescope on EQ mount which did good job for tracking even for long, but my LP area and i was using a filter i couldn't go longer than 15 seconds, i uploaded the frames on astronomy site forum and they told me it is noisy and nothing out of it, forgot to ask you if you did take any dark or flat or whatever subs too, i didn't, but i am just shocked with my 60 x 10s i didn't get anything, while some did short and less frames and managed to have even anything even little noisy, and i was using an astro camera, so there is something i have to learn before i use my strong cooled mono astro camera.

I am not planning to modify any of my DSLR yet, but sounds one day i may give it a try and see.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Davenn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Davenn.
Aug 18, 2017 05:06 |  #5

Tareq wrote in post #18430413 (external link)
Thank you very much for your answers.

Very strange, i tried yesterday night with a cheap astro camera, 60 frames each for 10 second, used a telescope on EQ mount which did good job for tracking even for long, but my LP area and i was using a filter i couldn't go longer than 15 seconds, i uploaded the frames on astronomy site forum and they told me it is noisy and nothing out of it, forgot to ask you if you did take any dark or flat or whatever subs too, i didn't, but i am just shocked with my 60 x 10s i didn't get anything, while some did short and less frames and managed to have even anything even little noisy, and i was using an astro camera, so there is something i have to learn before i use my strong cooled mono astro camera.

I am not planning to modify any of my DSLR yet, but sounds one day i may give it a try and see.

can you please just post one frame up to here so I can see it

forgot to ask you if you did take any dark or flat or whatever subs too,

read the bit in brackets in the first line of my first post :-)

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 18, 2017 06:28 |  #6

Davenn wrote in post #18430683 (external link)
can you please just post one frame up to here so I can see it

read the bit in brackets in the first line of my first post :-)

Hehehehe, these days i forget so quick, sorry that you mentioned on the first post and i didn't read it. :-D

I will post one frame, or if you want you can download them all and choose whatever frame of them.

https://drive.google.c​om ...phZE1vSUtIdVU?usp=s​haring (external link)

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 18, 2017 08:40 as a reply to Tareq's post |  #7

Why are you saving frames in FITS format ? You need to change them over to a jpeg or in RAW if you shot them in RAW . I don't have any program to open FITS files .

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 18, 2017 09:22 |  #8

Celestron wrote in post #18430812 (external link)
Why are you saving frames in FITS format ? You need to change them over to a jpeg or in RAW if you shot them in RAW . I don't have any program to open FITS files .

Sorry, but i was using ZWO camera and the software i was using to capture photo doesn't have many formats, there is a format you can open which is PNG, but i think FITS is a RAW file format for astronomy app to open it or process it, sorry for that.

I have another images exposures in PNG, if you want to see those instead then i can upload them for you.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 18, 2017 10:21 as a reply to Tareq's post |  #9

FITS is a file you can make from a RAW file like in PS but only programs that can open a FITS file allow that . ZWO is a video camera but I don't know off hand if you can take single images in RAW or not . So if your taking singles made in Fits file you need to change them to another file that is easily opened . PNG is not a very friendly format for sharing images .

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 18, 2017 18:21 |  #10

Celestron wrote in post #18430890 (external link)
FITS is a file you can make from a RAW file like in PS but only programs that can open a FITS file allow that . ZWO is a video camera but I don't know off hand if you can take single images in RAW or not . So if your taking singles made in Fits file you need to change them to another file that is easily opened . PNG is not a very friendly format for sharing images .

I am new to this and i really don't know how, maybe the program i use only has 2 formats for single images, and i see it has 2 formats for video too [AVI, SER], but i gonna use another software that is stronger or better i think for exposures and controlling the camera, and maybe it has different formats for the images.

Sorry for that.

ZWO is a brand with many cameras, and all cameras are able to do video or single exposures, it depends on the software you use, i also have another camera that is designed for astrophotography and great one, and later i will show results out of it once i am good in taking subs for astro.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 18, 2017 22:37 as a reply to Tareq's post |  #11

Well once you get started and produce I'll check back in but for now I'll wait for your producing efforts . Clear Skies !

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 19, 2017 01:41 |  #12

Celestron wrote in post #18431452 (external link)
Well once you get started and produce I'll check back in but for now I'll wait for your producing efforts . Clear Skies !

Sure, but sounds that those astro cameras has FITS or TIFF as RAW formats, but i see many using FITS, and you can open FITS file by using DSS app, it is free, and you can stack by this app, in fact i used this app [DSS = DeepSkyStacker] to stack the files above, until i can afford a stronger software for processing FITS or astronomy images.

To the OP, good you tested the camera unmodified, i don't know how it will be if you use the modified camera to compare both, and i hoe i can get good images as you did, i will need time, but hope to be there sooner or later.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Davenn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Aug 21, 2017 19:29 |  #13

Tareq wrote in post #18431556 (external link)
Sure, but sounds that those astro cameras has FITS or TIFF as RAW formats, but i see many using FITS, and you can open FITS file by using DSS app, it is free, and you can stack by this app, in fact i used this app [DSS = DeepSkyStacker] to stack the files above, until i can afford a stronger software for processing FITS or astronomy images.

To the OP, good you tested the camera unmodified, i don't know how it will be if you use the modified camera to compare both, and i hoe i can get good images as you did, i will need time, but hope to be there sooner or later.

you really do need to convert to jpg so people can access them easily

I have no intention of modding the 6D. It is one of my two main cameras. The 700D I did do the filter mod on and it works quite well
gives a much better red spectrum response

Dave

Tareq
17,657 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 21, 2017 21:51 |  #14

Davenn wrote in post #18433643 (external link)
you really do need to convert to jpg so people can access them easily

I have no intention of modding the 6D. It is one of my two main cameras. The 700D I did do the filter mod on and it works quite well
gives a much better red spectrum response

Dave

I will try later if i can, if the RAW file of the exposures is HITS then i can't do anything about it, unless i stack them first then i convert the final image, it will be a headache if i have to convert the files from FITS to JPEG one by one and not as a batch, but there is also PNG format, in all cases it is my first time to use those astro cameras so i need time to understand them.

Sure i won't modify my best main DSLRs or even Sony A7r, i may try with my oldest DSLR such as 30D or even 5Dc, but i feel i shouldn't do because i already have astro cameras, and i plan to buy new DSLR only for astro so i will modify it, i will think about a camera with 24mp at least, my best astro mono camera now has small chip sensor and 16mp, so time to think a bit bigger, but not intention for full frame yet, i already have 5Dc or 1DsII with less mp, at the end it is me who decide what i want, and your image above giving me hope that i can do fine with my astro cameras then.

Sorry again for my FITS files, i won't upload anything again, i wil only upload in astronomy sites and their they can help me then i can post the final results in this forum.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

869 views & 11 likes for this thread
M83 with DSLR and 400mm Lens
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.