Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 18 Aug 2017 (Friday) 10:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ND instead of solar

bamatt
440 posts
Joined Jul 2007
St. Louis
Aug 18, 2017 10:44 |  #1

Can I use my variable ND filter at its darkest setting without jacking up my camera?

I have some solar film, but was just curious.

Thanks!

60D / 10-22 / 24L II / 70-200 2.8L II

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 18, 2017 11:01 |  #2

bamatt wrote in post #18430912 (external link)
Can I use my variable ND filter at its darkest setting without jacking up my camera?

Thanks!

There has been numerous discussions here about ND filters . Most answers are not for solar imaging . They do not block the harmful UV rays that damage eyes and sensors . NASA says a #12 or higher welders glass is safe but they also say #14 is best . If you have solar film use it .

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 18, 2017 12:05 |  #3

Thanks!

UV doesn't bother a camera sensor.
IR just heats things up, but otherwise isn't a problem for the sensor.
If you're using small aperture lenses and long focal ratios with a ND filter you can take shots at the sun, no problem.
But don't use it for VISUAL through the filter as the UV to your retinas is a bad idea. Your sensor doesn't care though.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 18, 2017 12:10 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #4

You should emphasize "Small Lens" . With a zoom lens it's not safe in larger lens .

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
219 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 18, 2017 13:21 as a reply to Celestron's post |  #5

I've used a vari ND with a hot mirror in front of it...the B+W UV/IR cut works too.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 18, 2017 14:16 |  #6

docholliday_sc001 wrote in post #18431026 (external link)
I've used a vari ND with a hot mirror in front of it...the B+W UV/IR cut works too.

If you are planning to capture the Corona of the sun during totality you need to remove all filters cause they might cause you to loose some detail .

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
219 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 18, 2017 19:37 |  #7

Celestron wrote in post #18431063 (external link)
If you are planning to capture the Corona of the sun during totality you need to remove all filters cause they might cause you to loose some detail .

I'm not shooting the eclipse through this setup, but rather through my telescope. This was my lightweight setup for some general imaging I did previously.

MizzouMan_2000
Goldmember
1,619 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Peoria, IL Area
Aug 18, 2017 23:29 |  #8

I bought a variety of welder's glass, shades 12 & 13. However, not all of it has arrived yet. Some were heat treated glass and the other was polycarbonate. I haven't received the polycarbonate yet. The heat treated glass was awful. Held up infront of my lens and the image was useless. Not even focusing manually did any good. It was like a double image. The poly won't be here in time for me, but I had already ordered some film, too, which I have setup on threaded & slide-in filters.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 7D | Canon EF 300mm f/4L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX

TCampbell
Joined Apr 2012
Aug 19, 2017 12:53 |  #9

Thanks!

But if you have solar film... just make a filter. It's easy. Cut a piece of cardboard tube that can fit over the front of your lens... or cut a piece of cardboard in the shape of a verily large "X" and fold the tabs of the "X" back around your optical tube. Now cut a large diameter hole in the center and affix the solar film to it. Most people seem to use a few layers of cardboard to build a "sandwich" with cardboard-film-cardboard and glue it together.

The film need not be wrinkle free (most commercially made filters have wrinkles and it wont affect the image quality.)

The complexity of using anything else, such as an ND filter, depends on the physical aperture of the lens, the density of the film, and the focal length of the lens.

For example... I have a Herschel white-light solar wedge that I use with my telescope (I am not using this for the eclipse - I primarily use it for visual observing -- not imaging). Anyway, the concept of the device is that it goes at the back of the telescope, not the front. This means 100% of the Sun's energy travels through the scope and hits the solar wedge at the back. The wedge is basically a piece of glass that reflex some of the light out at a 90ยบ angle, but most energy goes straight through and hits a heat-sink to dissipate the Sun's energy.

So the reason I bring this up because the rules are that it can be used on telescopes up to about 4" of aperture... any more than that and it collects enough energy that it's probably over-heating the inside of the optical tube and may damage things... but at 4" or less, it's safe.

When you add an ND filter to the front, the filter is rejecting some of the Sun's energy. This could allow for larger physical aperture sizes.

But as you mentioned you already have the solar film... I'd just use the film and not worry about it.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by davesrose. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 20, 2017 23:33 as a reply to Celestron's post |  #10

If you're using a DSLR for taking photos of a solar eclipse, all camera manufacturers say you need a solar filter to prevent damage to the sensor. Apple is claiming you don't need to cover a smart phone camera because A: the sun doesn't take up much of the frame, and B: the sensors are much smaller

Nikon USA-How to photograph a solar eclipse (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Aug 21, 2017 19:27 |  #11

Worked out just fine with a super dark ND "Marumi Dhg nd 100000"

First time eclipse shooter!

With filter

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

No filter
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 21, 2017 20:41 |  #12

Well with a different ND filter it looks good , The last image looks good but can tell you were maybe a second too early or too late for the DR . Spikes are dark reason why but overall for your effect looks good .

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Aug 21, 2017 23:20 |  #13

Celestron wrote in post #18433712 (external link)
Well with a different ND filter it looks good , The last image looks good but can tell you were maybe a second too early or too late for the DR . Spikes are dark reason why but overall for your effect looks good .

Thanks! First time ever taking photos of the sun zoomed in like that! Had three cameras going at the same time and it was just crazy taking it all in, next one is in 2024 in the US apparently.. not sure if I can wait that long!

sponsored links

734 views & 6 likes for this thread
ND instead of solar
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.