Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 07 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 13:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Aug 22, 2017 17:41 |  #3511

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18434361 (external link)
Composite of the 2017 solar eclipse. Taken in Ontario, Oregon. The 5D4 was stationary the whole time. The interval timer was taking a shot every 5 minutes except for the "totality" image (I did that one myself). 34 shots layered together in Photoshop. It was my first eclipse, and my first composite shot of any kind.

In the lower left corner, the first few images look oval. Is that lens distortion (EF 24-105 II)? If so, how do I make them round? Lens correction in LR didn't do much of anything.

QUOTED IMAGE

Very cool!! How was the drive/traffic/crowds?

As far as the 24-105, mine does the same, so don't use it for any car photos as the wheels will look oval! LR will not correct, but I think you can use "free transform" / Distort layer in photoshop (they probably renamed it to something else because it's Adobe).

sponsored links
LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Aug 22, 2017 18:14 |  #3512

markesc wrote in post #18434382 (external link)
Very cool!! How was the drive/traffic/crowds?

As far as the 24-105, mine does the same, so don't use it for any car photos as the wheels will look oval! LR will not correct, but I think you can use "free transform" / Distort layer in photoshop (they probably renamed it to something else because it's Adobe).

Thanks for the 24-105 info. I'll try the transform to see what it can do.

My wife and I live in the Seattle area (about 8 hours from Ontario, OR). We decided to go there in two days -- Friday and Saturday. No problems at all. We were worried about gasoline, but we never saw any stations that had run out. On Monday, the eclipse ended at 1:00 local time (12:00 noon Pacific time). We had planned to drive back to Richmond, WA, after the eclipse. It's a 4-hour drive, but it took 6. There was a lot of congestion. My daughter's family and my son's family were both in the area as well, although we were at different places. None of us had any real difficulty getting anywhere. The crowds were much smaller than I had expected. Easy to walk into any restaurant, etc. The hotels were all full Sunday night, but you could find rooms for any other night. We enjoyed ourselves, and I'm looking forward to tackling the rest of my eclipse photos. They will end up in the 1DX2 and 100-400 II threads.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Itsed65
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
Hercules, CA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Itsed65.
Aug 22, 2017 18:43 |  #3513

markesc wrote in post #18434379 (external link)
Very cool!

Not sure if I'd get that close!!! A bunch running around Mt. St Helens if you're ever up in these parts.

Thanks! I was actually quite a ways off. That is a 700mm shot cropped by a big margin, shot from my truck. I would not get close to a horny bull elk believe me ;-)a

I would love to get back up to the PNW for some wildlife. I just need the time. :rolleyes:

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 and a Sony RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Aug 22, 2017 18:53 |  #3514

LJ3Jim wrote in post #18434410 (external link)
Thanks for the 24-105 info. I'll try the transform to see what it can do.

My wife and I live in the Seattle area (about 8 hours from Ontario, OR). We decided to go there in two days -- Friday and Saturday. No problems at all. We were worried about gasoline, but we never saw any stations that had run out. On Monday, the eclipse ended at 1:00 local time (12:00 noon Pacific time). We had planned to drive back to Richmond, WA, after the eclipse. It's a 4-hour drive, but it took 6. There was a lot of congestion. My daughter's family and my son's family were both in the area as well, although we were at different places. None of us had any real difficulty getting anywhere. The crowds were much smaller than I had expected. Easy to walk into any restaurant, etc. The hotels were all full Sunday night, but you could find rooms for any other night. We enjoyed ourselves, and I'm looking forward to tackling the rest of my eclipse photos. They will end up in the 1DX2 and 100-400 II threads.

Wow! Sounds like you all had fun! I wouldn't worry too much about the distortion, looks good enough for that scale, and as you have experienced, no photos come close to just being there!!!1

Happy editing and looking forward to more!

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Aug 22, 2017 18:54 |  #3515

Itsed65 wrote in post #18434424 (external link)
Thanks! I was actually quite a ways off. That is a 700mm shot cropped by a big margin, shot from my truck. I would not get close to a horny bull elk believe me ;-)a

I would love to get back up to the PNW for some wildlife. I just need the time. :rolleyes:

It's worth it if you can find the time, TONS of elk on the coast, there's a spot outside Reedsport with a TON of elk on this preserve area off the hwy. In fact a lot of the locals along the coast are calling the elk a nuisance apparently.

Thanks again for posting, they are magical animals (until they charge ya!)

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Aug 22, 2017 19:05 |  #3516

Talley wrote in post #18434335 (external link)
First post since you got your camera and you did not include any image????

weak....

Lol :)

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 23, 2017 02:41 |  #3517

Talley wrote in post #18434335 (external link)
First post since you got your camera and you did not include any image????

weak....

Very weak

;-)a

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 23, 2017 11:09 |  #3518

lol.

Two more from Botswana;

More from that series here;
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​485229

---------------
And this guy is a Bateleur, one of many African "Snake eagles" (yes there are enough that they get their own name) and yet it's distinct coloring makes it truly unique.

IMAGE: http://jakehegnauer.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p2476119265.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://jakehegnauer.ze​nfolio.com/p182823398/​e939694e1] (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

amairphoto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Las Vegas
Aug 23, 2017 22:42 |  #3519

basketballfreak6 wrote in post #18432246 (external link)
with sigma 150-600 sports lol

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XTJx​GT] (external link)Brisbane City (external link) by Tony (external link), on Flickr

beautiful!

Sdentrem wrote in post #18432263 (external link)
The remainders of hurricane Gert have reached Canada, bringing wind and rain. This doesn't stop hummingbirds from feeding and staying active, but it does make flight shots a challenge. This is at ISO 25,600.

This is awesome!

gschlact wrote in post #18433602 (external link)
What are we looking at in image #4. I must watch too much Discovery Channel, it looks like mined gold.

I think that is actually gold dust, they use it in one of their dishes. This was a few ingredients from an image I got.

Wildcat Hills NE

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4420/36627822291_41e93b5eed_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XNFa​tr] (external link)Wildcat Nebraska 2 web (external link) by Anthony Mair (external link), on Flickr

My Website: http://www.amairphoto.​com (external link)
flickr (external link)

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Aug 24, 2017 02:51 |  #3520

Ok guys first post for this thread with picture :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

puttick
Joined Mar 2002
North Yorkshire, UK
Aug 24, 2017 05:35 as a reply to markesc's post |  #3521

Hi - that's a great composite and a lovely record. The distortion of the extreme edge images isn't "lens distortion" such as barrel or pincushion which can be easily corrected with a profile. It is due to the stretching of objects towards the edge of the field of view inherent in all lenses which have a rectilinear projection (as all "normal" photographic wide angle lenses are) as opposed to a fisheye lens in which objects are displayed the same wherever they are in the field, but has obvious "curvature". If you set up a test area on a brick wall with some circular paper cutouts stuck in the centre and edges, you can demonstrate this easily - the bricks remain "square" but the the circles become stretched ovals nearer the edges. To a certain extent you can correct for this in software but you need something other than a profile - I use DXO Optics Pro plugin "Viewpoint". I think this can be used with LR or PS too. But bear in mind if you have a lined background, such as the brick wall, when you "correct" the circles, you will "distort" the straight lines, looking more like a fisheye image. You can't have both, it's the laws of optics and perspective I'm afraid. In your photo, correcting the circles would be fine as there is no background.

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 24, 2017 05:52 |  #3522

Do you guys know the answer to this....

I shoot dual cards... But want I wanna do is shoot both Raw and Jpeg to both cards.

I don't think it is possible, but just wanted to check.

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by jcothron.
Aug 24, 2017 06:06 |  #3523

The Ring

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Aug 24, 2017 07:09 |  #3524

puttick wrote in post #18435657 (external link)
...if you have a lined background, such as the brick wall, when you "correct" the circles, you will "distort" the straight lines, looking more like a fisheye image. You can't have both, it's the laws of optics and perspective I'm afraid.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. As a retired mechanical engineer, the concepts you described do make sense to me, but I never would have thought of them on my own. I'll take a look at the DXO product.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by graham121. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 24, 2017 07:33 as a reply to George Zip's post |  #3525

Sure is possible George,

In menu 1.1 (camera icon option 1) 'Image quality' select both raw and the size of jpg you want AND
In menu 4.1 (Spanner icon option 1) 'Record func + card/folder sel.' select ;REcord Func. to Rec. to multiple

You will then see RAW + selected jpg size going to card 1 and card 2

Hope that helps

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

sponsored links

867,145 views & 13675 likes for this thread
-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.