Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 22 May 2017 (Monday) 22:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5D MKIII FW 1.3.4 - FlashAir Eye-Fi

Joseole
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2017
May 22, 2017 22:21 |  #1

I would like to integrate Wi-Fi into my Canon 5D MkIII.

Now, looking on-line - plenty of (old) stuff. Eye-Fi was leading the pack and the Pro-X2 was the product of joice. However this is EOLand the mobi version did not work. Now, there semed to be a mobi PRO but can't find anything 5D MKIII related and as it seemed Eye-Fi entered some sort of technology exchange with Toshiba last year - which is great. SanDisk had also some sort of licencing with Eye-Fi but SanDisk got bought by Toshiba several years ago (or something in that line).

Transcend Wifi SD card seemed to be even more challenging and I think they stop producting it too.

As it sounded Toshiba's FlashAir did not have the "fine tuning" capabilties of the Pro-X2. While I saw some press release reference on the Eye-Fi web-site in relationsToshiba's FlashAir W-02 and W-03 - can't find any relationship if FlashAir is going to work on my camera. Toshiba also anounced the new much faster/higher capacity FlashAir W-04 several month ago.

Who has tested and what's working please?

Thank you & Cheers

Jose from DownUnder

sponsored links
NoLight
Joined Apr 2005
Texas
May 24, 2017 07:38 |  #2

Good question!!! I have no idea but am interested in answer..

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,414 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
May 24, 2017 08:55 |  #3

I still use the Pro-X2
I was a bit disappointed when support ended - but I guess they can't support everything forever

When the emails went out to announce support would cease, I had looked around at alternatives, and I couldn't see anything that would better other than the Canon wifi grip, and that's very pricey!

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
May 24, 2017 13:20 |  #4

In my experience the Eye-Fi Pro X2 is pretty flaky in use with my 5D3. It always seems to crap out on me when I try using it for any extended period of time. It just randomly loses connection and isn't reliable. It was somewhat more reliable when I had a 60D, but still a bit of a hassle. Maybe the magnesium body of the 5D interferes with its communication ability. All I ever really used it for was "wireless tethering" to Lightroom when shooting RAW. It might work fine for mundane things like auto uploads to your computer or something along those lines that I never used. I don't know if those features are still supported since the eye-fi software is no longer being supported. I know the online functions no longer work.

The Canon W-E1 on the 7D2 works great. Too bad it doesn't support cameras other than the 7D2 and 5DS/SR. I don't see why it couldn't technically work with a 5D3 with a firmware update... but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

GEAR LIST

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
May 24, 2017 13:36 |  #5

I have Mobi Pro, and it has worked in my 5D3 and 7D2.

I am not a huge fan of the android app nor the fact that one must use a PC to set it up to work even remotely the way it should by default,. but it does work. From what I have read, most people that had the "Pro X2" liked that software better.

FYI the way I have it set up, it's a 32GB Mobi pro, and I shoot reduced size jpeg to it. I do not have it set up to transfer every image, rather have it set up so that it will transfer the images I select when reviewing on the camera LCD.

This seems to work well.

I understand you can not get it to work well with RAW files.

I am not a pro, and am not using this in time sensitive environments. I use it for getting images off my non wifi equipped camera onto my phone for personal uploads like my Zenfolio gallery, email, FB etc.

I do not think I would use it for most professional applications. I have read about a thing called CamRanger (and other similar boxes) for more intensive work.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,030 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Aug 19, 2017 15:53 |  #6

I have currently a Eye-Fi which I replaced by and Transcend. The Transcend is very reliable in the connection and connects in 30+ seconds to the camera. This is slow but the connection is also slower to disconnecting when you get out of range for a very short time.

Since a few days the Toshiba FlashAir W-04 (Eye-Fi support) which allows you switch off or on the WiFi in the card from the camera menu. The connect time is about 15 seconds and that is fast but you loose also the connection faster. It reconnects fast but you have to wait about 15 seconds.

I still like my Transcend because it is more forgiving during usage of the WiFi.

The FlashAir can do more that only be pretty and send files over WiFi and there is an development site for the FlashAir family.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,082 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 22, 2017 22:29 |  #7

I was disappointed... I had two Eyefi Pro X2 that no longer work.

So I upgraded to bodies w/ onboard wifi :)

You can find the wifi grip for reasonable prices now.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links

816 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MKIII FW 1.3.4 - FlashAir Eye-Fi
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.