Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 21 Aug 2017 (Monday) 20:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Solar Eclipse Party (Outreach) from Florida | Aug 21 2017

MizzouMan_2000
Goldmember
1,619 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Peoria, IL Area
Aug 23, 2017 15:09 |  #31

MalVeauX wrote in post #18435158 (external link)
You actually don't even need a tracker for this.,

The telescope I tried to use supposedly has tracking ability. I've had this thing for years, but never played with it enough to figure out how to make the tracking work. I didn't work with it enough before hand to figure it out, either. The day of I spent about 45 minutes trying to dial it in. Once it was close, but I thought I realized a mistake (oh - the time in the controller was incorrect). I'm amazed it was as close as it was. After fixing the time & confirming the date & location, I never got it close again. I ended up manually following the sun through the entire event, making adjustments every minute or 2. I'll definitely have to figure out the tracking piece before the next one in 2024. :)

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 7D | Canon EF 300mm f/4L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon Speedlite 580EX

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 23, 2017 16:53 |  #32

Here's an example of how simple it can be and still get good results:

PST scope with a USB web cam
Laptop with the capturing software (nothing special, cheap $150 refurb laptop from ebay) (software is free by the way; sharpcap is it).
No tracker, just a wee tripod. I just let the sun drift in the field of view and capture at about 50~100 FPS to get 300~500 frames in a few seconds tops.
I'm using a cooler as a laptop table

This is setup like this because I was letting the kids look at the sun from the playground that we built on our property. When they were done and went in, I just plugged in the camera, turned on the laptop, refocused, imaged.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4239/35203549225_f88e50d40a_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VCPo​Hg] (external link)Play_Ground_PST (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

And here's the image:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4272/34816888180_0f8afb48c5_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/V3DD​Rw] (external link)SolarDisc_HA_Colored_0​609107 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

1,831 views & 75 likes for this thread
Solar Eclipse Party (Outreach) from Florida | Aug 21 2017
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.