Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 09 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 15:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking about changing lenses

birdfish316
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 09, 2017 15:15 |  #1

So most of my sessions are small children and families. I alway use either the 50mm 1.8, the 85mm 1.8, or the 18-55 kit if Im looking for the wide angle sho. I have a Canon T3i.

I love shooting with primes but I hate switching lenses up during a session. So I'm considering switching to a zoom. I would love the Canon
24-70L 2.8 but its out of my price range. So I'm thinking about the Tamron 24-75mm 2.8 XR Di instead.

Has anyone had experience with this lens? Would you recommend the switch based on my reasoning? I love how sharp my primes are. And I would hate to get rid of them only to regret it later.
Also I've thought about possibly trading or buying used but it scares me because I've never bought used before.

Here is a link to my site to see some of what I shoot:
brandonbass.smugmug.co​m

Thanks for any insight!

sponsored links
hait0622
33 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Post has been edited 2 months ago by hait0622.
Aug 11, 2017 09:16 |  #2

I have the sigma 50mm 1.4 art. Really love the lens but I'm on a full frame. Maybe an older 24-70 canon?

birdfish316
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 12, 2017 05:53 as a reply to hait0622's post |  #3

Thanks, someone mentioned the Sigma 17-50 2.8. It seems like it might be what I'm looking for!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 12, 2017 09:23 |  #4

Heya,

24mm isn't very wide on APS-C, so I wouldn't get a 28-70 or 24-70 on an APS-C if you find yourself commonly going wide.

The 17-50 flavors are good standard zooms if you feel the need for a zoom.

Personally I usually just used two cameras, one with a long prime and one with a short prime. Really depends on what you're doing. Usually this is only something you'd worry about (prime that is) with outdoor portrait where you're going for shallow depth of field. Without that specific genre of portrait, you have no real need for a fast prime. I do a lot of studio and full depth of field portrait (in the outdoor environment) where I don't use shallow depth of field, and I actually go wider and wider, recently been doing a lot at 17mm on full frame (10~11mm on APS-C) with full depth of field, outdoor. I actually like it a lot. But it's all about your preferences, or your client's preferences,etc.

I know price is probably a barrier, but the Sigma 18-35 ART would be a really great lens for family and wide portrait on APS-C.

Another option you could consider is to sell the T3i and get a 5D classic (nearly straight trade in cost). And then get yourself a standard zoom (28-75 F2.8 as they're inexpensive and great). Also gives you more options for wide primes or typical standard zooms. If you do a lot of portrait, I'd start thinking this direction.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

birdfish316
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 13, 2017 05:49 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #5

Good stuff Malveaux. Definitely something to think about. Thanks for your input!

birdfish316
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 14, 2017 13:52 |  #6

So I've started looking into the 5D classic now maybe instead of a new zoom lens. With them being so old now, I'm worried about how long it might last if I do get one. Would purchasing a used one for around 400-500 make sense?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 14, 2017 14:05 |  #7

You'll note that the 5Dc thread is still one of the most active threads. Those cameras are still kicking it well on 10+ years later. There is always one for sale basically. And they always sell. $300~350 is a good price for a good working 5Dc. I still shoot mine to this day. Excellent old work horse and gives you the full frame experience if you want to see how the FOV and focal lengths play together. The color and rendering of the RAW files are excellent.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

birdfish316
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 15, 2017 13:36 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #8

Thanks Malveaux, there is one for sale right now but I can't post yet because I don't have 30 posts yet. Hopefully it will still be there when I get to 30 posts.

birdfish316
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 25, 2017 00:24 |  #9

Thanks for the info on the 5D, I got one and I love it. With my crop sensor I shot more with my 50mm but now I think I'll be using my 85mm a lot more. It's perfect on a FF.

sponsored links

1,055 views & 2 likes for this thread
Thinking about changing lenses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.