Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 24 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 15:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help needed for photo detector, optical sensor, and logic output sensors

JasonChris
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 24, 2017 15:14 |  #1

As I found from the datasheet of SDP8371-001 - https://www.icrfq.com/​part/3868771-SDP8371_001.html (external link) is a precision Optoschmitt detector molded in a side-looking clear plastic package. The detector is a monolithic IC, consisting of a 0.030 in.(0.762 mm) square photodiode, amplifier, voltage regulator, Schmitt trigger and an NPN open-collector output transistor. The output is a buffer logic type, switching from low to high when illumination is increased to the threshold irradiance. Detector sensitivity has been internally temperature compensated and laser trimmed for narrow sensitivity range.

Is there any doubt for detector sensitivity? Can anyone help me about photo detector? I'm stuck with it.

Many thanks.

Tyguy
Joined Sep 2014
Calgary, Canada
Aug 24, 2017 19:10 |  #2

What do you want to use it for?

Are you making an optical flash trigger? A light meter?

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

JasonChris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 25, 2017 03:28 as a reply to Tyguy's post |  #3

Yes, I'm making an optical flash trigger. Could you please help me about it?

Thanks for your reply.

Tyguy
Joined Sep 2014
Calgary, Canada
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Tyguy. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 25, 2017 11:26 |  #4

I'm not certain this is the right component for you. I am a big fan of DIY, but in this case I think you would be better off just purchasing something like this: https://www.amazon.ca ...&keywords=optical+t​rigger (external link)

If you are planning on going DIY for whatever reason, plan to spend more money and lots of time on it. You need to recieve a signal when there is a sudden change in light, not when there is a pre-defined amount of light. Once you recieve a signal, you'll need to pass the signal on to a flash. The flash probably won't respond to a 50 microsecond signal (probably what you will get from a phototransistor), so you will also need a way to create a much longer signal that the flash will respond to.

There are DIY guides on Google. Good luck!

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

534 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help needed for photo detector, optical sensor, and logic output sensors
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.