Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 25 Aug 2017 (Friday) 13:05
Prev/next
Poll"Do you use Zone AF for weddings or Events documentation"
YES
50%
NO Absolutely no
50%

6 voters, 6 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone using Zone AF used during Wedding/events photography?????

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 1 month ago by AlanU.
Aug 25, 2017 13:05 |  #1

I've just come to the attention that some generally shoot zone AF. I'm a Canon and Fuji shooter and I've selected my Canon tools for hired events and my Fujifilm gear is generally used as a secondary system for personal projects, family documentation and casual.

A fuji shooter has made it to my attention that he uses zone AF over selected auto focus points. I've been vocal regarding the slower and sometimes unreliable AF performance of my X-T2 (even with Battery booster) in low light for events documentation. The AF has virtually failed on me on many occasions during spontaneous events or when using bounced flash techniques in low environments/venues. Mirrorless does not take advantage of infrared focus grid on speedlights like Canon or Nikon. I was informed zone AF is more suitable but this leaves the camera to decide my focus points. Such techniques is a big shock to me. I choose my tools specifically for many reasons. This is probably why I still cannot let my Canon gear go.....one the same note I do like fuji render too.

I've never ever used zone AF for events and probably never will.

Just out of curiosity I'm making this poll. I've honestly ever considered Zone AF for birding/fast moving subjects while panning or just quick AF acquisition with longer lenses but not short fast primes or mid telezooms for human subjects in social gatherings.

I think a poll is quite cut and dry. Please note this poll does not apply to Sony A9 users LOL!!! The eye tracking on that sony body is absolutely insane. However for multiple people in the frame eye detection can be risky in my opinion.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Aug 25, 2017 14:11 |  #2

Nope. I can't think of when I ever have. 99% of the time I'm jamming on the joystick to get the AF point over to the target.

Even for speed/sports, I select and keep the af spot over the subject, crop later if I have to. JMHO/YMMV.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,611 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems. 4 edits done in total.
Aug 25, 2017 14:23 |  #3

Hi Alan, IMHO, your poll is flawed from the get go, but only based on your accompanying post.

- You've led with your own conclusion before the poll was posted. Never a good idea to post your conclusion when asking for data.

- You tell us too much. Your views are clear,. This will spark reactions rather than provoke honest poll results.

- You go off on tangents with subjects like birding. You've posted this in the event forum and the poll title appears to be very specifically about events. Zone AF for birding is IMHO a very different subject from events. (note first response is now talking about sports, you've opened that door here, and it's not on topic for the poll.)

- I feel that excluding the camera system that does eye tracking best makes zero sense. Excluding the best set of tools for one of the two options of shooting you are polling about = unbalanced data for results. That same system happens to be one that is being adopted for events quickly.

You might want to consider an edit to your post, (leave the poll as is) and remove as much distracting or influential commentary from the post.

Just a suggestion.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,611 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 25, 2017 14:33 |  #4

Argh, I thought I was clicking to see who voted what and accidentally clicked to vote, and I have no business voting in this thread. I can't cancel the vote,. so please disregard one "NO" vote.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

650 views & 3 likes for this thread
Anyone using Zone AF used during Wedding/events photography?????
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.