Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 30 May 2017 (Tuesday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Backup best practice, backup software reviews, and cloud backup provider reviews

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jun 02, 2017 01:31 |  #16

all good stuff Tim!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links
pat.kane
561 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Jun 04, 2017 21:46 |  #17

I suggest addressing the 1TB limit in your CloudBerry review. There's a huge difference between a $30 (< 1TB) and $300 (no limit) license. It looked interesting until that point.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Post has been edited 4 months ago by tim.
Jun 05, 2017 00:09 |  #18

pat.kane wrote in post #18371147 (external link)
I suggest addressing the 1TB limit in your CloudBerry review. There's a huge difference between a $30 (< 1TB) and $300 (no limit) license. It looked interesting until that point.

The CloudBerry website is out of date, according to CloudBerry support. They tell me it's "5 TB for cloud storage data, 5 TB for Glacier data, unlimited storage for local backups", so a total of 10TB online and unlimited to local or external disks. I've pointed it out but they don't seem to want to update the website. I'll update the review to point this out.

I have CloudBerry Desktop, paid. I have six main backup sets, backing up three sets of files to three destinations. Two are 450GB, two are 250GB, two others are 850GB. That's a total of 3.1TB in management, more actually since I have others a bit smaller as well.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

pat.kane
561 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Aug 24, 2017 21:24 |  #19

I received notice a few days ago CrashPlan is exiting the home market to focus on business accounts. They're honoring existing service contracts and fortunately mine lasts through August next year.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,711 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 24, 2017 21:34 |  #20

mike_d wrote in post #18367836 (external link)
This is why I recommend Crashplan as a primary backup for most people. It's as close to "set and forget" as you can get. Well, until they ignore the emails begging for renewal. Sigh.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​485376

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 24, 2017 21:45 |  #21

I'm already in that thread and will likely continue to use Crashplan on at least a couple computers even at the new price.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 24, 2017 22:35 |  #22

Tim,

I'm looking at Cloudberry and Backblaze B2 as an alternative to Crashplan in certain cases.

How often do you recommend having Cloudberry do a full backup to a cloud storage provider? Does this actually re-upload an additional copy of everything? That would take a while and consume a lot of storage. Can Cloudberry instead do a file verification or would that take just as long since they don't control the server and can't generate hashes for comparison server-side.

The 30 day version limit Tally referred to on Backblaze could be a serious problem. I'm assuming CloudBerry+B2 would get around that since the backup logic is all handled by Cloudberry. B2 is a lot cheaper than S3. Maybe too cheap?

I wish something like Cloudberry existed for Synology. Most of my data is there and while I do use Synology Cloud Sync with Amazon Drive (still on the unlimited for $60/yr plan) the application itself is very limited and doesn't appear to support versioning, deleted file recovery, etc. I also backup the Synology to Crashplan via symbolic directory links on my main PC which provides the features missing in Cloud Sync, but its one more potential point of failure.

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 24, 2017 23:31 |  #23

mike_d wrote in post #18436360 (external link)
I'm looking at Cloudberry and Backblaze B2 as an alternative to Crashplan in certain cases.

How often do you recommend having Cloudberry do a full backup to a cloud storage provider? Does this actually re-upload an additional copy of everything? That would take a while and consume a lot of storage. Can Cloudberry instead do a file verification or would that take just as long since they don't control the server and can't generate hashes for comparison server-side.

The 30 day version limit Tally referred to on Backblaze could be a serious problem. I'm assuming CloudBerry+B2 would get around that since the backup logic is all handled by Cloudberry. B2 is a lot cheaper than S3. Maybe too cheap?

I wish something like Cloudberry existed for Synology. Most of my data is there and while I do use Synology Cloud Sync with Amazon Drive (still on the unlimited for $60/yr plan) the application itself is very limited and doesn't appear to support versioning, deleted file recovery, etc. I also backup the Synology to Crashplan via symbolic directory links on my main PC which provides the features missing in Cloud Sync, but its one more potential point of failure.

I just use the defaults for full backups. I think that does them when you add heaps to the backup, or at some regular interval. Yes it might do a full upload, but you probably don't want "incremental forever".

I'm actually going to change some of my backups to be a sync to the cloud, in my case AWS S3. I'll have S3 do the encryption and versions, rather than CloudBerry. Reason is I want to spread my risk - one of my on site backups will still use CloudBerry encryption and versioning, one won't.

Not sure what you mean with the 30 day limit.

B2 is fine, good company, and replicated within the same data center. The advantage of S3 is it's replicated to three data centers. Use IA class, it's not much more expensive that B2. AWS is much more complex though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 25, 2017 00:05 |  #24

tim wrote in post #18436390 (external link)
Not sure what you mean with the 30 day limit.

Backblaze only keeps prior versions of files for 30 days.

https://help.backblaze​.com ...at-does-Backblaze-Backup- (external link)

Crashplan keeps daily versions of files for 90 days and monthly versions from previous years by default.

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Post has been edited 1 month ago by tim.
Aug 25, 2017 00:34 |  #25

mike_d wrote in post #18436397 (external link)
Backblaze only keeps prior versions of files for 30 days.

https://help.backblaze​.com ...at-does-Backblaze-Backup- (external link)

Crashplan keeps daily versions of files for 90 days and monthly versions from previous years by default.

Ah yeah, I know that, but the way you put it was difficult to understand. Yes CloudBerry plus B2 gives you full control. In AWS S3 you could do a plain sync and enable versioning on the bucket, then restore the files as at any date with one command.

The other way around that is to run backup software that keeps incremental backups, store the repository for that program locally, and back the repo up to BB.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 25, 2017 19:04 |  #26

If you let S3 handle the versioning, how do you restore a folder from a specific date? Is it only command line or is there a web interface?

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 25, 2017 19:09 |  #27

mike_d wrote in post #18437009 (external link)
If you let S3 handle the versioning, how do you restore a folder from a specific date? Is it only command line or is there a web interface?

You use this tool (external link), which is command line. You can retrieve using the web interface one file at a time.

sponsored links

2,032 views & 2 likes for this thread
Backup best practice, backup software reviews, and cloud backup provider reviews
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.