Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 15 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 12:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dual Boot - Win7/Win10 - has anyone tried this?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 26, 2017 11:31 |  #16

heldGaze wrote in post #18436962 (external link)
Agreed, not sure where the idea comes from that Microsoft is going to limit software to only stuff from the app store, that is something much more likely to happen from a company like Apple. Microsoft is founded on the idea of running on lots of different hardware and running applications from lots of different authors. I would say there is less than a 0.001% chance that Windows 10 will ever be locked down to App Store software only.

If the OP has concerns about running a corporate controlled OS however, I would recommend a dual-boot between Linux & Windows, not Windows & Windows.

I have seen talk of a new cut down version of Win 10, that is I think available now, that does just this. I can't remember the specific name, but there were several different sources.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 26, 2017 12:28 |  #17

BigAl007 wrote in post #18437497 (external link)
I have seen talk of a new cut down version of Win 10, that is I think available now, that does just this. I can't remember the specific name, but there were several different sources.

Alan

It's called Windows 10 S and it's designed to compete with Chrome Books in the education market. They tried it before with Windows RT (launched with Win8) and it flopped because it couldn't run real Windows software.

scriveyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Aug 26, 2017 12:42 |  #18

According to the article below it's a Win10 Creators Update option - for now. ;-)a

Quote from ComputerWorld Feb. 2017 (external link)
"Unfortunately, Windows 10 still has much in it that was built before the Internet," Pescatore continued. "So, it's easy for executables to work." Since 2003 -- when Pescatore was with Gartner Research -- he's argued that Microsoft should restrict runnable code.

"Why doesn't Microsoft build into Windows a way to block executables?" he asked in summarizing his decade-and-more recommendation.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Eric ­ Hopp
35 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Aug 26, 2017 12:52 |  #19

Why do you want to dual boot a Win 7 / 10 pc? If you are going to purchase a brand new pc, they will all come with Windows 10 installed. Most older Windows 7 software will run under Windows 10 in x86 mode, with the possible exception of some very old games. What old software will you be planning to use for a Windows 10 computer?

Drivers are software programs that allow your operating system to configure and use computer hardware, such as video cards, sound cards, digital cameras, printers, and such. Windows 10 should support hardware designed for Windows 7. You will need to go to the hardware manufacturer's website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers for a particular piece of hardware.

Best bet is that if you are planning to purchase a new computer, then get a new Win 10 computer for your current work. Keep the old Win 7 computer for legacy software work. There are KVM switches that can allow you to switch a single monitor, keyboard, and mouse between two different computers. And KVM switches are pretty cheap to find on Amazon, or New Egg. Some switches you do not even need to install software for your computers--they are just plug and play.

scriveyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Aug 26, 2017 13:08 |  #20

I don't have a (Win7-)computer powerful enough to let me comfortably use image editing software.

It's completely unclear what I will be allowed to run on Win10 in the future (32bit programs, my own compiled programs, ...)

Users of Win10 frequently report that settings for which standard program to use for a given MIME type are frequemtly restored to Microsoft's ides what would be best. vmad

The programs I want to keep using won't run satisfactorily on LINUX/WINE

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 26, 2017 14:04 |  #21

scriveyn wrote in post #18437585 (external link)
I don't have a (Win7-)computer powerful enough to let me comfortably use image editing software.

It's completely unclear what I will be allowed to run on Win10 in the future (32bit programs, my own compiled programs, ...)

Users of Win10 frequently report that settings for which standard program to use for a given MIME type are frequemtly restored to Microsoft's ides what would be best. vmad

I was running Lightroom on a Core2 Duo with Vista and people have been running Photoshop for decades, so I doubt there's no image editing software you can't run on your Win7 PC.

But if you need a new PC, there's no reason to avoid Windows 10 because of what you think might happen at some point in the future. Cross that bridge if you come to it, as the saying goes.

Eric ­ Hopp
35 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Aug 26, 2017 14:58 as a reply to scriveyn's post |  #22

You can always look on eBay or Amazon for an older new, refurbished, or used desktop with an Intel I7 processor that come with a Windows 7 configuration. Here are two examples from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com ...keywords=i7+desktop​&psc=1 (external link)

https://www.amazon.com ...r=8-8&keywords=i7+desktop (external link)

There are plenty of desktop computers out there that are refurbished with different hardware configurations in Windows 10 flavors. These computers will sell on Amazon for between $250 - $600, which is pretty cheap for a desktop. One thing you could do is buy a desktop that has the hardware specs you want, and then purchase an ssd hard drive. On that ssd drive, test installing either Win 7 or Win 10 OS with the particular software that you are worried about. If one OS does not work, then go with the other OS. Installation of either Win 7 or 10 on a new desktop is pretty straight forward.

Good luck in your search.

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Aug 27, 2017 23:43 |  #23

mike_d wrote in post #18437544 (external link)
It's called Windows 10 S and it's designed to compete with Chrome Books in the education market. They tried it before with Windows RT (launched with Win8) and it flopped because it couldn't run real Windows software.

The difference is Windows 10 S can run any piece of software that regular Windows 10 can. It simply needs to be delivered through the store. Any software developer that has an application running on Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional can simply create an install package and distribute it through the store for Windows 10 S.

The idea that Microsoft would strip current installs of Windows 10 Home & Professional of the ability to run existing software is either ignorance or fear-mongering. It makes zero sense from Microsoft's business viewpoint as well. Just not going to happen.

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 27, 2017 23:50 |  #24

heldGaze wrote in post #18438762 (external link)
The difference is Windows 10 S can run any piece of software that regular Windows 10 can. It simply needs to be delivered through the store. Any software developer that has an application running on Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional can simply create an install package and distribute it through the store for Windows 10 S.

But only if the publisher bothers to do so. And certain things are locked down in 10 S such as the browser: You're stuck with Edge. That alone makes such a computer a non-starter for me.

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Aug 28, 2017 15:11 |  #25

mike_d wrote in post #18438764 (external link)
But only if the publisher bothers to do so. And certain things are locked down in 10 S such as the browser: You're stuck with Edge. That alone makes such a computer a non-starter for me.

Even Windows Home is a non-starter for me, so yeah, I'm with you. But I'm also not at all worried about these restrictions being applied to my Windows Pro installation. Which is what the OP was concerned about, a Windows installation that can currently run software being prevented from doing so in the future. That's simply not going to happen.

C&C Always Appreciated

f8andBeThere
Joined Oct 2009
Memphis
Sep 04, 2017 11:42 as a reply to heldGaze's post |  #26

I've been running Windows 10 since not long after it was introduced, on two desktops and a laptop. I carefully selected the privacy options at the beginning and I've had zero issues with it as an OS. To me it's a huge improvement over Win7 and previous versions. Never crashes, just works. I've also used (the free) Windows Defender as my antivirus/spyware protection, kept it updated, and had zero problems.
If you don't trust Microsoft or Windows 10, get a Mac -- and put up with Apple's stuff.

5D Mark III, 6D, 7D, 40D, 16-35mm f2.8 II, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4 IS, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, Sigma 15mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4A, 430 EX II

heldGaze
Joined Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sep 07, 2017 15:51 |  #27

f8andBeThere wrote in post #18444284 (external link)
I've been running Windows 10 since not long after it was introduced, on two desktops and a laptop. I carefully selected the privacy options at the beginning and I've had zero issues with it as an OS. To me it's a huge improvement over Win7 and previous versions. Never crashes, just works. I've also used (the free) Windows Defender as my antivirus/spyware protection, kept it updated, and had zero problems.
If you don't trust Microsoft or Windows 10, get a Mac -- and put up with Apple's stuff.

Personally, I see moving to a Mac due to a lack of trust in Microsoft to be a lateral move. If you don't trust Microsoft, install Linux. I also have concerns over the security of macOS due to the flaw integration of the Darwin kernel with FreeBSD. I prefer to go as close to the source as possible. If I want BSD, I'll run FreeBSD, not macOS. Instead of Ubuntu or Kali, I'd run Debian. Personally, I'm probably going to be installing Slackware on this computer I'm building right now, going back to my roots as Slackware was the first Linux distro I ever used. I had been debating Arch, but it just feels like it's time to revisit the oldest distro that's still alive. Unfortunately however, it will have to be a dual-boot with Windows simply for Adobe's products. Yes, I know how to use GIMP, etc. I just plain prefer PS & LR and would really love it if Adobe supported Linux natively. Then I could drop Windows altogether.

C&C Always Appreciated

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Archibald.
Sep 07, 2017 20:26 |  #28

heldGaze wrote in post #18446832 (external link)
If you don't trust Microsoft, install Linux.

That would be great, unless you want to run software.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,445 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 08, 2017 10:20 |  #29

scriveyn wrote in post #18437585 (external link)

only a very few things dont run on win 10, save yourself some headaches and go straight to 10.

I run win 7 and 10 in software environments, and generally I'de rather have win 10 as it seems more stable. It starts faster, recovery is easier to perform and the feel is not too far off from win 7.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by davesrose.
Sep 08, 2017 22:46 |  #30

I wouldn't spend the time to try to dual boot between win7 or 10. At the core, you're not losing any features by just going with 10. I find the only agrivating thing is the control panel: you can create a shortcut to the classic.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

1,763 views & 8 likes for this thread
Dual Boot - Win7/Win10 - has anyone tried this?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.