Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Aug 2017 (Saturday) 16:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Godox and Fuji

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,752 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited 1 month ago by EverydayGetaway.
Aug 25, 2017 16:39 |  #61

AlanU wrote in post #18436655 (external link)
I've never struck this type of conversation with working professionals about using selective area AF. I don't know many photographers that allow their camera's to randomly select focus points during events photography. There are reasons why people micro adjust and do battery tests to assure proper AF with mirrored bodies.

I can never allow the camera to randomly shoot human subjects using zone for an indoor event. Zone for faster moving subjects I can appreciate zone AF. Modern Mirrored bodies never have issues selecting precise focus points in micro seconds during shutter actuation. I just still struggle with this idea that the size of the Fuji focus point can slow down fuji AF...that to me is still shockingly ironic as people think fuji AF is on par with mirrored bodies. I know the difference as I shoot both system at the same time indoors. Outdoors there is a less noticeable AF lag but for indoors it's very apparent.

I will throw this question out in the forums and ask other manufacture brand people if they use zone AF for events. I can see a newbie or inexperienced photog shooting AUTO mode doing this but not a paid semi/pro photographer for events. This topic truly is a shocker for me.....

Jeeze, did I strike a cord or something? I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I'm trying to see if you've considered all options for better use of your AF (which clearly you haven't) since you seem to blame the camera more than any other Fuji shooter I've seen/talked with.

What are you even on about with "randomly" selecting people? The smallest Zone AF mode is barely bigger than the larger single point mode, it's very easy to put and keep over an individual subject. In my experience this mode is certainly faster in lower light and I also believe it to be more accurate. The only time I wouldn't use that mode is if I were shooting in a situation where something else was close to my subject and on a different focal plane (shooting something through brush or a person through a crowd for example).

I couldn't care less what "pros" think of this suggestion. I know what works for me and couldn't care less if it works for "pros". I've heard lots of "pros" tell people to NEVER use Av/Tv/P mode at all and to ONLY shoot ISO 100... :rolleyes:

AlanU wrote in post #18436693 (external link)
I just shouted out to a photog friend of mine and his jaw dropped. He said that doing such a thing using zone for events is too unreliable at wide apertures. He says he always uses single point AF. His biggest concern is the reputation of the photographer.

As I mentioned I've never heard such a thing using zone AF for events work. That is something I've never considered or do. I truly do not know anyone using zone unless it's it's for sports or fast moving subjects when fast tracking is required. Seems many sony shooters use eye detect for portrait work.

Lucas my methods is very typical and normal. I can grab my 80D using single point and never ever miss a beat even in low light. Many dslr users I know use selected af points. Only sports or birders I know can potentially use zone as this is a common practice for that sort of photographer. Most wedding shooters I would imagine majority use single point/selected af point.

We should throw out this question...

If you can explain to me why zone focusing would be unreliable at 16mm and f1.4 I'd be interested to hear your argument, 'cause I don't see the logic. At 85mm f1.4, sure, I could see that argument (depending on the circumstances). What does the reputation of the photographer have to do with anything?

I never said I don't use "selective AF points", in fact I use a selective AF zone on the smallest setting most often and you can clearly see from my flickr feed that it does just fine, but thanks for your concern ;)

It's interesting to me that you acknowledge that using a zone focusing mode would be very useful for a sports or bird photographer, but not for an event photographer? Last time I checked focusing on sports and wildlife is far more difficult than shooting slowly moving people at an event, so again, I'm confused by your point?

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18436696 (external link)
Alan, the SONY shooters with it's absolutely amazing eye detection will shoot zone all day and the Camera does the work for you, and faster and better.

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...8044/sony-an-eye-on-focus (external link)
https://www.slrlounge.​com ...redator-see-it-in-action/ (external link)

Eye detection in DSLRs is still in it's infancy compared to what the SONY mirrorless are doing with it.

The times they are a changen...

I do miss the eye AF of my a7S. I loved that the eye AF could be mapped to a dedicated button so you didn't have to always have face detection on (which drives me nuts on the Fuji when it overrides the point or zone I have selected). On the a7S I could just push a button and hold it (like with BBAF) to focus on a subjects eyes. As a whole though, the a7S AF was definitely not as good as my X-Pro2, much more similar to my X-T1, which is still great for most uses in my opinion.

AlanU wrote in post #18436710 (external link)
I agree Jake.

Last weekend I did an awards documentation at a car show in good light with my 16mm prime. Fuji eye detect was not "amazing" at all and had to turn that function off.

Jake are these Sony shooters using Zone AF for human subject during events social gatherings?? Doing a quick zoom in on a subject will not necessarily be in the photographer's control where the focus point goes for a fuji shooter. Sony eye detect is suppose to be extremely good but Fuji is still in it's infancy.

You dont think I've been impressed with the Sony A9!!! :)

My discussion was based on zone AF with fuji in events. I'd feel very strange letting the camera choose my focus points. .....that's just me.

I'll make a poll on POTN

Again I'm confused why you would be using Eye AF with a 16mm lens in the first place though? That seems to be a very strange FL to require eye AF with any camera body.

Yes it absolutely will be in the photographer's control. You can control where the zone goes just like you can with a single point. I'm not talking about the Wide AF tracking mode, I'm talking about zone AF, they're two different things.

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18436730 (external link)
Generally I'll only use zone if I feel I won't be able to keep the AF point on the subject, like kids running about at a wedding. I keep it tight though. Otherwise it's single point for me. I rarely use face detect although it has gotten a lot better but until I can zone + face I'll not use it if there are more than one person looking. Go try sonys new face tracking its great and shows what can be done.

With enough depth of field tight zone would work well I'd imagine, and make moving the AF area about quicker. Even if your DoF is only 12cm it would be enough to have a face sharp.

Also if you select the fine AF point in the 5D3 it's AF slows down so it not synonymous to Fuji and that makes sense if you think about it.

Your second paragraph sums up exactly why I use it, especially when shooting people.

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18436805 (external link)
Why don't you just try it and see if it works for you? If it does great, if not, no loss. Then you don't have the worry about what or how others are doing things.

I think Mr. Getaway was pointing to the fact that a wide angle lens will give you enough DoF at a 'normal' distance to allow anything in the zone to be sharp. Probably not talking wide zone AF with a tele lens through a crowd although I don't want to speak out of turn or for another choice/abilities. There area many ways of doing things.

This. Horses for courses.

Osa713 wrote in post #18436830 (external link)
Zone works very well for me at events where people are moving.

Single point I use for portraits where I know people wouldn't move as much and I can focus on One persons face.

I read this before buying the camera and it helped me immensely as coming from canon the wording was different.

https://www.google.com ...h-my-x-series-camera/amp/ (external link)

Everyone has their way to do things, there is no right or wrong way, like Kim said use what works for you, no need to poll. :-D

This. Also, if there are people who haven't tried using zone indoors, give it a try, in my experience it's definitely faster in low light than a single point, and more accurate than the larger single points too (again, in my experience).

At any rate, this is probably not the best place to discuss this since this thread is for the Godox system with Fuji. Sorry to jack your thread Osa ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Two Hot Shoes.
Aug 25, 2017 17:25 |  #62

Hot off the press from Piet Van Den Eyed [via Fuji Rumours]

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,608 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 25, 2017 23:27 |  #63

Hot off the press? We've been using the TT350 since March? April?

Anyway, good to see the thread on topic!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 26, 2017 01:56 |  #64

Godox X1T-F TTL Wireless Flash Trigger Transmitter for Fujifilm work with the AD800 instead of the TT350 as controller?

I really dig that softbox he was using. Personally I'd rather use a Kacey paint pole adapter on a rigid strong fiber glass extendable paint pole. That lastolite pole they were using looks like it was going to snap!

I've forgotten how fun it is to research lighting equipment!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

jrscls
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by jrscls. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 26, 2017 07:37 |  #65

Thanks for the link to the video. The Godox support for Fuji is what pushed me back to try mirrorless again and go with Fuji. I purchased the Flashpoint R2 mini (TT350) to trigger my AD860 II and AD200 units. My flashes are currently Nikon versions, but they work off camera just fine and say Fuji on the screen when in use.

The TT350 is one of the best mini flashes that I have used considering its size, radio transceiver, bounce abilities, all in a fairly small size. I think the flash will also be useful for travel or times that I take the power grip off of the X-T2.

Fujifilm X-T2, Power Vertical Grip, XF 16mm f/1.4 R WR, XF 23mm f/1.4 R, XF 35mm f/2 R WR, XF 56mm f/1.2 R, XF 90mm f/2 R LM WR, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,086 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 26, 2017 09:02 |  #66

looks like that ballerina girl peed on the pillar.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Osa713
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Osa713.
Aug 26, 2017 12:23 |  #67

AlanU wrote in post #18437215 (external link)
Godox X1T-F TTL Wireless Flash Trigger Transmitter for Fujifilm work with the AD800 instead of the TT350 as controller?

I really dig that softbox he was using. Personally I'd rather use a Kacey paint pole adapter on a rigid strong fiber glass extendable paint pole. That lastolite pole they were using looks like it was going to snap!

I've forgotten how fun it is to research lighting equipment!!

Did you mean AD600? But yes the trigger can control any light that can receive the R2 signal, the first link in the thread covered this :-D

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 26, 2017 12:34 |  #68

Osa713 wrote in post #18437539 (external link)
Did you mean AD600? But yes the trigger can control any light that can receive the R2 signal, the first link in the thread covered this :-D

oops ....yes AD600. That softbox that photographer used in that vimeo video is something I'd like to get. Maybe there's an balcar/paul c buff adapter for the AD600.

I'm having fun doing all of this research :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Osa713
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Osa713.
Aug 26, 2017 12:41 |  #69

AlanU wrote in post #18437549 (external link)
oops ....yes AD600. That softbox that photographer used in that vimeo video is something I'd like to get. Maybe there's an balcar/paul c buff adapter for the AD600.

I'm having fun doing all of this research :)

:-) Start lite with a TT350 for your fuji it's a great little light for bounce flash and it can also be a commander. Very versatile Imo

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 26, 2017 14:34 |  #70

AlanU wrote in post #18437549 (external link)

Any Bowens mount adaptor as the AD600 has a Bowens S mount.

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,289 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Aug 27, 2017 10:43 |  #71

AlanU wrote in post #18435972 (external link)
ya...

looks like I'd need to look into at least four (maybe 5) 860C, X1T-F, and X1T-C.

I've chatted online with the Adorama chat line and the person on the other end had little knowledge and was not informative at all and did not answer even 50% of my questions. Quite disappointed as I'm a potential customer asking valid questions. I'm now just researching .........on my own.

The people on Chat do not have that level of knowledge - you will only get that by contacting the Brands Team - brands@adorama.com

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 1 month ago by AlanU.
Aug 27, 2017 10:55 |  #72

HelenOster wrote in post #18438258 (external link)
The people on Chat do not have that level of knowledge - you will only get that by contacting the Brands Team - brands@adorama.com

Yes I'll have to do that. On FB I chatted with the Cactus company and I was extremely impressed with the person on the other end. They knew their product and software 100%

Helen, a suggestion I have is when a customer asks relevant question via "online chat" and requires specific question. Please advise the "Chat" attendant to stop the conversation and suggest contacting the "Brands Team". The conversation I had was strung along with no pertinent information for product purchase.

I continued the "Chat" conversation online and immediately had a very negative impression of Adorama. However know as a fact of the excellent product support and service of the company you work for so I was a bit confused of this experience.

I'll have to do more research and contact the Brand Team one of these days.

Thank you!

HelenOster
That's me!
4,289 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Aug 28, 2017 04:37 |  #73

AlanU wrote in post #18438268 (external link)
Yes I'll have to do that. On FB I chatted with the Cactus company and I was extremely impressed with the person on the other end. They knew their product and software 100%

Helen, a suggestion I have is when a customer asks relevant question via "online chat" and requires specific question. Please advise the "Chat" attendant to stop the conversation and suggest contacting the "Brands Team". The conversation I had was strung along with no pertinent information for product purchase.

I continued the "Chat" conversation online and immediately had a very negative impression of Adorama. However know as a fact of the excellent product support and service of the company you work for so I was a bit confused of this experience.

I'll have to do more research and contact the Brand Team one of these days.

Thank you!

Can you please advise who you spoke to? And if I can get your contact details I'll have someone from 'brands' reach out to you, directly

Helen@adorama.com

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,608 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 28, 2017 13:52 |  #74

Isn't the "chat" feature ALWAYS "Jenny" ? :)
She must be almost as busy as you!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,289 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Aug 30, 2017 11:18 |  #75

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18439303 (external link)
Isn't the "chat" feature ALWAYS "Jenny" ? :)
She must be almost as busy as you!

There are lots, actually. Tho' I've never met any of them.

For sure, NOBODY is as busy as me.....:eek::eek:

Helen@adorama.com

sponsored links

3,371 views & 54 likes for this thread
Godox and Fuji
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.