Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 27 Jan 2015 (Tuesday) 01:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by mannetti21

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND mannetti21 (showing now: mannetti21)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money10
Bokeh8.5
Sharpness9.5
Contrast9
Focusing9
Must Have8
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,757 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Mar 13, 2016 03:17 |  #46

I just got this lens a week ago. It was $700 used. After thoroughly testing it out, I am a happy camper. I agree completely with mannetti21's review. The only practical issue I had with the lens was a slight bit of struggling to focus in very poor lighting (f/2.8, 1/60, 6400). Most equipment struggles in that kind of light.

The vignetting at 70mm is relatively huge, at 2+ EC, but is only visible at f/2.8. By f/4 it is not noticeable. The LR profile cleans it up very nicely, but you have to shoot raw to use it. It is not standard, smooth drop-off vignetting. On this lens it is pushed WAY into the corners, and drops off very fast. That makes it very noticeable, and hard to correct manually.

The distortion at 24mm is heavy. It is gone by 35mm. Again, the LR profile cleans this up beautifully. Because of the wide open vignetting (worse at 24mm & 70mm), and the distortion (only a factor at 24-28mm), I shoot this lens raw, so I can correct both when necessary.

In processing, I find this lens needs a touch more added contrast than usual. That may be because I push ETTR all the time, and I shoot this lens raw (N, 0, -1, -1, 0). That said, I am completely happy with the results this lens produces.

Tom

sponsored links
kanecvl
Joined Dec 2015
Apr 25, 2016 21:09 |  #47

I sold my 24-105L for the Tamron 70-200mm and am very happy with it overall. Problem is now I have nothing to cover focal lengths less than 50mm 1.4 by canon, also owning the 85mm 1.8 by canon. I cant make up my mind between the tamron 24-70mm or buying a 24mm prime or a 10-22mm. This would be on a 6d body

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by mannetti21. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 26, 2016 19:12 |  #48

kanecvl wrote in post #17985092 (external link)
I sold my 24-105L for the Tamron 70-200mm and am very happy with it overall. Problem is now I have nothing to cover focal lengths less than 50mm 1.4 by canon, also owning the 85mm 1.8 by canon. I cant make up my mind between the tamron 24-70mm or buying a 24mm prime or a 10-22mm. This would be on a 6d body

In my opinion, unless you are planning to shoot moving subjects in very low light conditions, the 24mm prime isn't the best or most versatile choice to cover the 10mm to 50mm range. Also, 10-20mm on a full frame is really, really wide. I'm sure some do well with that focal range, but it isn't something I'd use on a regular basis. Seems like 10-22mm is more of a specialty type lens. So, for general all purpose in a wide to normal focal length range, I would choose either the 24-70mm or a 35mm. If you go the 35mm route, my hands down recommendation is the Sigma 35 Art.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

potinam
35 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Atlanta, GA
Jul 19, 2016 20:26 |  #49

Anybody try this lens with Nikon version compare to 24-70 VR?

heat00
199 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Aug 09, 2016 19:28 |  #50

Thanks for the review. I just got mine not long ago and I only use it for indoor basketball as that's all I shoot. I do have a 70-200 however many times on the crop, in tighter gyms, I found that the 70 is too close. also sometimes now I find that I sometimes like to switch at halftime or get nice wider shots of the team or all players on the foul line etc. I find it performs as well as my sigma 70-200 in terms of IQ and AF, maybe a tad better for AF, however as mentioned here earlier, it is still limited to my body (which is currently an old t3i) and I think that's the main reason for both lenses now that I have 2 to compare, in terms of AF and tracking. I do plan to get a 7dII next and I'm hopeful that with the 24-70 and 70-200 is all I need. Otherwise the lens seems to perform well.

wantafastbusa
Joined Apr 2017
Aug 26, 2017 17:04 as a reply to heat00's post |  #51

So I just bought mine today after reading this thread. It was used... Anyone have advice on what I should do about this spot on the lens(it does not wipe off)? When buying it, through the view finder the pics look fine. Checking them on the computer, I'm not quite seeing the sharpness that everyone is talking about. It very well could be me, just looking for opinions/options.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 80d
50mm 1.8
24-105mm f4 L
70-200mm f2.8 L IS2
10-18mm f4.5-5.6
godox TT685

sponsored links

18,869 views & 6 likes for this thread
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by mannetti21
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.