Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 13 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 03:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Beach Critique

fiwi
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 13, 2017 03:53 |  #1

Perth, Western Australia.
Im struggling with my post processing with landscape images. Im mostly using LR but have been learning PS recently and am starting to incorporate that into my work flow more and more. Any critique would be appreciated.

Grant

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
mamaof2
Goldmember
Joined May 2014
Aug 14, 2017 20:30 |  #2

I am on my phone but from what I can see I really like it!

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickrexternal link

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,123 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 14, 2017 20:36 |  #3

Looks awesome!

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Aug 14, 2017 20:48 |  #4

I love it.

Well done.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Aug 15, 2017 00:12 |  #5

I think once you get to producing images like this, you kind of need to figure out what you like yourself. All I can advise is looking though a lot of landscape images (I got a large group of people I really like on Flickr and spent quite some time going through their images) to figure out what you like and maybe what you don't think works. And/or just shoot a lot and then go back to your shots 6 months later.

I mean I could say that some of the rocks look a bit unnaturally light, or a comment on the sky colors, but I also think it is a matter of taste and without processing it myself, I don't know if I'd prefer it different.

When I started using PS in earnest, using luminosity masks made a huge difference for me, both in speed and what I was able to do. Personally I use the mask as a selection and then brush in the effect I want (rather than just using an adjustment on the whole mask). Some people don't like them, some love them. In any case I don't see any obvious halos or anything, but for a shot like this and what I imaging the raw(s) looked like, it would be vastly quicker for me to process using luminosity masks.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 15, 2017 01:32 |  #6

Thanks for the compliments

fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 15, 2017 01:47 |  #7

ejenner wrote in post #18427979 (external link)
I think once you get to producing images like this, you kind of need to figure out what you like yourself. All I can advise is looking though a lot of landscape images (I got a large group of people I really like on Flickr and spent quite some time going through their images) to figure out what you like and maybe what you don't think works. And/or just shoot a lot and then go back to your shots 6 months later.

I mean I could say that some of the rocks look a bit unnaturally light, or a comment on the sky colors, but I also think it is a matter of taste and without processing it myself, I don't know if I'd prefer it different.

When I started using PS in earnest, using luminosity masks made a huge difference for me, both in speed and what I was able to do. Personally I use the mask as a selection and then brush in the effect I want (rather than just using an adjustment on the whole mask). Some people don't like them, some love them. In any case I don't see any obvious halos or anything, but for a shot like this and what I imaging the raw(s) looked like, it would be vastly quicker for me to process using luminosity masks.

Thanks for the lengthy the reply ejenner, much
appreciated.

I originally posted this photo in the " show us your sunsets" thread. It got plenty of likes and comments. As much as that felt great, there wasn't really anything constructive coming out of it so I thought I would post it in the critique section.

I think your comments were quite close to the mark. As far as the exposure of the rocks go, I have recently discovered the use of Dodge and burn tools. I think I've been like a kid with a new toy and I know I have overused those tools too much. The dodging of those rocks is a good example of that

As far as the sky goes, it was a crazy night for colours. It does seem to look like it is overcooked a but I really don't think I did too much to the sky.

I do like the photo, but I realise that it has faults. I don't really have a problem with that, I have been progressing with my images, and learning plenty.

Once again, thanks for making the effort to reply.

Grant

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Aug 15, 2017 23:54 |  #8

fiwi wrote in post #18428015 (external link)
As far as the sky goes, it was a crazy night for colours. It does seem to look like it is overcooked a but I really don't think I did too much to the sky.

I don't think it is overcooked. I also don't necessarily think the rocks or any dodge burn is overdone. But I do think you are at the stage where *you* need to make that determination. And yes, you will probably go back to old processing in the future and say to yourself 'what was I thinking'. But that's just progression and changing preferences.

I would strongly advise not using the dodge/burn tools on the photo itself, and start using masks if you are not doing that. It makes it much easier to rectify mistakes.

The faults aren't obvious to me at this scale. Are these minor issues with blending or edges?

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 26, 2017 19:00 |  #9

really great work this is a knock out image

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

Kristine2514
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 21, 2017 23:57 |  #10

Love!

EOS 30D

Phil.H
Joined Jan 2017
Manchester/Uk
Sep 22, 2017 07:03 |  #11

I'm new to pp myself and also struggle but overall the image looks good to me...I like it!

Islandphoneman
25 posts
Joined Jun 2017
Fleming Island FL
Sep 22, 2017 18:34 |  #12

Looks nice to me.

Croasdail
Cream of the Crop
6,608 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005
North Carolina
Oct 15, 2017 05:20 |  #13

Overall I like the composition of the image. But to my taste, the sky has issues. The transition of color you added isn't blended enough to me, and there for the blown out area really jumps out. Not knowing what was in the original image, you may have done a stuffing job bringing in the highlights as well as you did, or you may have pumped the contrast just a smidge too far and crushed the detail out of those areas I don't know.

Its a good image, but if your looking for where it could be improved, the rocks are not puling my attention. Its that line of in the sky where the color transitions. Working on the sky more would make it be a more seamless image.... to me.

For what it is worth..... in the end, you are the only one that really needs to be happy.

Cheers

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 15, 2017 08:15 |  #14

Photo gets an A+

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,959 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Oct 17, 2017 15:42 |  #15

Late to the game but I am in the camp of l am really liking the photo. If there was one thing I could change about it, it would be more sky and less of the water taking up the entire bottom third. I think that is just preference though. if there is a way to get the sky a little more vibrant then it would be killer for me as I love those nice red skies.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

sponsored links

1,181 views & 4 likes for this thread
Beach Critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.