Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Aug 26, 2017 08:50 as a reply to post 18437074 |  #5221

Nice!.. ive thought about it.
But then i remind myself of how often tje 5d3 stayed home because of size and weight .
Remind myself of how it felt like a cinder block hanging on my neck after a few hours out with it

But i do have lots of awesome images captured by the 5d3

Anyway i think the 80d is as big as im going at the moment.

Speaking of size ,, 56 shipped out.. but i think it will be replaced by the 50 f2.
Im going to try to keep the fuji kit as small and light as possible

Canon 80D//Rebel T4i//EF50 f1.4 //EFS 24mm F2.8//EFS 18-55//EFS 10-18 //EFS 55-250
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // xf 23mm f2/ xf50 f2 WR
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 26, 2017 12:33 |  #5222

rantercsr wrote in post #18437371 (external link)
Nice!.. ive thought about it.
But then i remind myself of how often tje 5d3 stayed home because of size and weight .
Remind myself of how it felt like a cinder block hanging on my neck after a few hours out with it

But i do have lots of awesome images captured by the 5d3

Anyway i think the 80d is as big as im going at the moment.

Speaking of size ,, 56 shipped out.. but i think it will be replaced by the 50 f2.
Im going to try to keep the fuji kit as small and light as possible

Just debating on selling the 80D now. The 80D has got to be one of the most ergonomic extremely capable crop sensor Canon body I've ever owned. If I sell the 80D body with my 10-22 I can alleviate a big chunk of money and purchase the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 mk3 which destroys my X-t2 with fuji 10-24. Or I may just buy another X-t2 w/battery booster to make my Fuji system more versatile. With the 5d4 I definitely see a step up in the 1080 video over the 80D and I'm extremely shocked in the noticeable IQ improvements with that new sensor over my 5dmk3 in stills!!

I use the spider holster so even a 5d series on my hip is very manageable even for 12hrs of shooting. Even though the X-T2 with battery grip has now become a mini PIG in size it's still lighter than the Canon gear. I also use the optech PRO neoprene neck strap so the Canon body actually feels substantially lighter and I also have those neck straps on my Fuji. The X-t2 feels like almost nothing on my neck !!!!!!!!!!!!! Using spider holster I do not have any tethers on my camera that is sitting on my hip. I remove the neoprene straps via clips.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Aug 26, 2017 13:39 |  #5223

AlanU wrote in post #18437548 (external link)
Just debating on selling the 80D now. The 80D has got to be one of the most ergonomic extremely capable crop sensor Canon body I've ever owned. If I sell the 80D body with my 10-22 I can alleviate a big chunk of money and purchase the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 mk3 which destroys my X-t2 with fuji 10-24. Or I may just buy another X-t2 w/battery booster to make my Fuji system more versatile. With the 5d4 I definitely see a step up in the 1080 video over the 80D and I'm extremely shocked in the noticeable IQ improvements with that new sensor over my 5dmk3 in stills!!

I use the spider holster so even a 5d series on my hip is very manageable even for 12hrs of shooting. Even though the X-T2 with battery grip has now become a mini PIG in size it's still lighter than the Canon gear. I also use the optech PRO neoprene neck strap so the Canon body actually feels substantially lighter and I also have those neck straps on my Fuji. The X-t2 feels like almost nothing on my neck !!!!!!!!!!!!! Using spider holster I do not have any tethers on my camera that is sitting on my hip. I remove the neoprene straps via clips.

Your post reminded me of this video;
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=KMfAsQAJwDI (external link)

This guy was a straight up pool-shark. It was fun watching him :) Unfortunately for him he fell skating down a hill the day after I took this and got pretty torn up -?

X100T

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4318/36148231802_78b015c14c_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/X5i8​VU] (external link)DSCF2275.jpg (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
Albany: Western Australia
Aug 27, 2017 00:35 |  #5224

Ive been doing a lot of reading on Fuji lately and notice a few pros are shooting jpeg only with Fuji. I'm curious if this is the normal thing with most Fuji photographers and how many actually see a difference with their cameras, Im always RAW but starting to wonder if I am just wasting my time

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 27, 2017 01:04 |  #5225

aladyforty wrote in post #18438033 (external link)
Ive been doing a lot of reading on Fuji lately and notice a few pros are shooting jpeg only with Fuji. I'm curious if this is the normal thing with most Fuji photographers and how many actually see a difference with their cameras, Im always RAW but starting to wonder if I am just wasting my time

The fact that a photographer has a responsibility in delivering the best IQ possible I'd say shooting only jpeg this day and age is kinda silly. Compressed jpg has less leeway in pushing/pulling a file. Memory these days is so cheap that I see no excuse for a photog "not" to shoot raw. Workflow in importing RAW or jpg in lightroom wouldn't be any major savings in time.

I guess having WYSIWYG can reduce the chances of messing up exposure so people can shoot jpg only. I certainly would prefer having digital negatives.

The word "PRO" these days can be used in very loose terms. No governing body or regulations in this art so anyone or everyone can be a PRO. The key thing is consistent delivery in style and good IQ for every hired job.

AS long as a photographer delivers quality work they can use whatever process that works for them. I stress how cheap memory is these days and the redundant dual memory cards found in many camera bodies. Shooting RAW costs nothing more as long as the photog is responsible for file redundancy in large memory cards.

I will never shoot jpg only. Jpg is probably good enough in most cases but that little extra mile of saving RAW files simultaneously seems like a no brainer.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

aladyforty
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
Albany: Western Australia
Post has been edited 1 month ago by aladyforty.
Aug 27, 2017 01:20 |  #5226

AlanU wrote in post #18438045 (external link)
The fact that a photographer has a responsibility in delivering the best IQ possible I'd say shooting only jpeg this day and age is kinda silly. Compressed jpg has less leeway in pushing/pulling a file. Memory these days is so cheap that I see no excuse for a photog "not" to shoot raw. Workflow in importing RAW or jpg in lightroom wouldn't be any major savings in time.

I guess having WYSIWYG can reduce the chances of messing up exposure so people can shoot jpg only. I certainly would prefer having digital negatives.

The word "PRO" these days can be used in very loose terms. No governing body or regulations in this art so anyone or everyone can be a PRO. The key thing is consistent delivery in style and good IQ for every hired job.

AS long as a photographer delivers quality work they can use whatever process that works for them. I stress how cheap memory is these days and the redundant dual memory cards found in many camera bodies. Shooting RAW costs nothing more as long as the photog is responsible for file redundancy in large memory cards.

I will never shoot jpg only. Jpg is probably good enough in most cases but that little extra mile of saving RAW files simultaneously seems like a no brainer.

yes looking through some of Kevin Mullins work and noticed he said he shoot predominately jpeg. I kind of prefer the backup of a RAW shot myself

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,748 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Aug 27, 2017 02:20 |  #5227

AlanU wrote in post #18438045 (external link)

Of course it costs something, it costs time.

Most people who shoot JPEG also shoot RAW. For a large event if you've shot over a thousand shots and want to deliver a large number, or if you need a quick turnover (journalists for instance) it can be very beneficial to have the option to turn over a JPEG SOOC or with a quick edit in LR.

If you're good at shooting (as anyone calling themselves a "pro" should be) then most of your shots will be properly exposed straight from the camera, most shots won't need drastic adjustments to shadows or highlights, which is why shooting both is a good idea so if there are a few shots out of your group you can open the RAW when necessary.

aladyforty wrote in post #18438052 (external link)
yes looking through some of Kevin Mullins work and noticed he said he shoot predominately jpeg. I kind of prefer the backup of a RAW shot myself

Kevin Mullins has fantastic work, very inspirational for me. I suspect he shoots both and mostly works with the JPEGs though as I pointed out above. If he does in fact only shoot JPEG I gained even more respect for him because his work speaks volumes in my opinion.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 1 month ago by AlanU.
Aug 27, 2017 02:50 |  #5228

aladyforty wrote in post #18438052 (external link)

Took a quick gander and he even used a point in shoot 16mp APS-C fuji x70 !

He's definitely got a good eye! Very talented with good timing.....but that too can be a second shooters perspective in some shots.........

I'm curious if he uses B/W straight out of camera. Everyone has a certain style and I see a lot of crushed gritty blacks and very dark dramatic non filled shadows. I find some images to be very "heavy" looking as the emotion portrays happiness and light laughter. Some images would probably have matched better in colour vs predominately heavy crushed BW photos.

Compressed Jpgs that are having issues to fix in post (blown highlights usually ) can have colour grading issues. When I shot exclusively jpg in my early years I found BW conversion was my absolute saviour. Having real colours perfectly exposed is something I appreciate more but this is personal preference. Much easier to incorporate digital noise in a BW photo compared to a perfect coloured image.

Aladyforty, I'd just stick with what works for you. I think most professionals would now shoot both raw and jpg as a safe means of documenting their work. There's reason why a high percentage of Pros really try to shoot with dual memory card camera bodies for redundancy with larger sized SD or CF memory cards for large RAW files and commonly smaller sized jpg.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Two Hot Shoes. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 27, 2017 10:01 |  #5229

If you are only shooting raw with a Fuji X camera you are missing out. Their JPEG engine in the camera is supurb due to their ability to replicate closely to the film stocks they use to make.

I shoot mostly raw + jpeg fine m

The raw are in case I really need to get into a file, the jpeg if I need images straight away. Also shooting both allows you to zoom in further to check focus etc…

The look from the jpegs are so good you can deliver them fast if you need and you can Taylor the look by further adjusting the settings in the camera

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Aug 27, 2017 10:30 as a reply to Two Hot Shoes's post |  #5230

I shoot with both, mainly using the jpegs because they are faster to process in LR.

I fiddle with the raws when I need to change the white balance which is very rare because the auto WB works really well for me; or when I need to recover more details from the shadows.

I truly try to get as much right in camera as far as exposure but no one is perfect. I mainly watch my histogram while shooting.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Aug 27, 2017 10:35 |  #5231

AlanU wrote in post #18438077 (external link)
Compressed Jpgs that are having issues to fix in post (blown highlights usually ) can have colour grading issues. When I shot exclusively jpg in my early years I found BW conversion was my absolute saviour. Having real colours perfectly exposed is something I appreciate more but this is personal preference. Much easier to incorporate digital noise in a BW photo compared to a perfect coloured image.

You can still see blown highlights in BW conversion, I learned he hard way when I first started shooting. A photog I shadowed pointed it out to me. :-)

Your image can chosen for the Best Of gallery only if it is in your own member gallery.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 27, 2017 10:51 |  #5232

Osa713 wrote in post #18438254 (external link)
You can still see blown highlights in BW conversion, I learned he hard way when I first started shooting. A photog I shadowed pointed it out to me. :-)

I agree but you can hide alot more issues with B/W conversion. Also batch processing becomes blazing fast :)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,748 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited 1 month ago by EverydayGetaway.
Aug 27, 2017 11:19 |  #5233

Took a quick gander and he even used a point in shoot 16mp APS-C fuji x70 !

He's definitely got a good eye! Very talented with good timing.....but that too can be a second shooters perspective in some shots.........

I'm curious if he uses B/W straight out of camera. Everyone has a certain style and I see a lot of crushed gritty blacks and very dark dramatic non filled shadows. I find some images to be very "heavy" looking as the emotion portrays happiness and light laughter. Some images would probably have matched better in colour vs predominately heavy crushed BW photos.

Aladyforty, I'd just stick with what works for you. I think most professionals would now shoot both raw and jpg as a safe means of documenting their work. There's reason why a high percentage of Pros really try to shoot with dual memory card camera bodies for redundancy with larger sized SD or CF memory cards for large RAW files and commonly smaller sized jpg.

The X70 has the X-TransII sensor in it, really not that surprising given the great image quality from that sensor. Some of my favorite shots from the last wedding I shot were with my X100T.

What do you mean by "that too can be a second shooters perspective"?

Are you suggesting that Mullins is converting his shots to B&W just to hide faults in the images? If so, I'm honestly a little shocked you would even make such an assumption. To me it's pretty clear that he uses B&W because it suits his vision and it's also likely a large part of why people pay for his services. He has very few images in color in his portfolio and his B&W shots all have a distinctive look and feel to them that I'm sure his clients look for.

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18438235 (external link)
If you are only shooting raw with a Fuji X camera you are missing out. Their JPEG engine in the camera is supurb due to their ability to replicate closely to the film stocks they use to make.

I shoot mostly raw + jpeg fine m

The raw are in case I really need to get into a file, the jpeg if I need images straight away. Also shooting both allows you to zoom in further to check focus etc…

The look from the jpegs are so good you can deliver them fast if you need and you can Taylor the look by further adjusting the settongs in the camera

I pretty much always only shoot in RAW, but recently have been converting a lot of my images in camera with the built in RAW converter for uploads to social media and now I think I'm going to start shooting RAW + JPEG again and just use the JPEG's for basic edits. They really do just come out fantastic SOOC, there's very little you need to do with them.

Another shot from Woodward (I have way too many of these :lol: )

X100T

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4293/35480105734_28fe27ae04_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/W4fP​jW] (external link)DSCF2329.jpg (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Two Hot Shoes.
Aug 27, 2017 11:38 |  #5234

I'm curious if he uses B/W straight out of camera. Everyone has a certain style and I see a lot of crushed gritty blacks and very dark dramatic non filled shadows. I find some images to be very "heavy" looking as the emotion portrays happiness and light laughter. Some images would probably have matched better in colour vs predominately heavy crushed BW photos. .

He shoots according to his clients wishes, if they only want black and white or if they want colour. Jpegs are in Classic Chrome and B&W's are in Acros+R, to convert colour to B&W he does that in Lr by pressing the V key and adding a little tone to the shadows, I think the slider setting is 33 for the colour and ~5 for the amount. If I'm remembering that right.

On another note, you can use the HSL settings in lightroom to correct the colour balance of a jpeg image although easier to adjust the white balance with a raw file, it's not that hard to fix the colour of any image, as long as there is colour in there. Even if there is not the right colour you can always re-tone it in Ps.

Fuji do really well with their jpegs SOOC, especially if you set the camera up to give you the look you like before you shoot. Raw files give you more flexibility as there is more detail retained, the jpegs remove any detail that is not needed in the image. Be brave and shoot jpeg only for a shoot - You'll have to slow down a little and think. A little like shooting with film, you have to choose your stock before you go or, like I use to do, bring more than one loaded camera/back with you. One for colour and the other for B&W although really you could just shoot in colour can convert to B&W afterwards in batch.

I typically deliver both to my clients these days so they have a choice of colour and B&W. I shoot in colour and use Silver Efex Pro2 with a custom Acros setting to batch my images into B&W. They then get JPEGminified and up to the online gallery. If I shoot in JPEG I can get this done in a few hours. Great for proofs from an event.

If I'm shooting things like Architecture, like I'm doing this week, It'll be all raw as I know I be spending time in processing, but only for controlling the highlights and shadows and colour, once that is done it into JPEG and then to Photoshop of editing.

For Day to Day I like the Fuji JPEGs

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 27, 2017 11:56 |  #5235

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18438283 (external link)
The X70 has the X-TransII sensor in it, really not that surprising given the great image quality from that sensor. Some of my favorite shots from the last wedding I shot were with my X100T.

What do you mean by "that too can be a second shooters perspective"?

Are you suggesting that Mullins is converting his shots to B&W just to hide faults in the images? If so, I'm honestly a little shocked you would even make such an assumption. To me it's pretty clear that he uses B&W because it suits his vision and it's also likely a large part of why people pay for his services. He has very few images in color in his portfolio and his B&W shots all have a distinctive look and feel to them that I'm sure his clients look for.

I pretty much always only shoot in RAW, but recently have been converting a lot of my images in camera with the built in RAW converter for uploads to social media and now I think I'm going to start shooting RAW + JPEG again and just use the JPEG's for basic edits. They really do just come out fantastic SOOC, there's very little you need to do with them.

Second shooter perspective meaning a photo can be portrayed online website but from the hired second shooter. It's always a possibility. I doubt he shoots alone.

The Canon ambassador Jeff Ascough also shoots ALOT of black and white. His style and quality is an entirely different caliber with his B&W conversions. He introduces grain to his BW because his images are always extremely clean from his bodies. I understand B&W images is a style but I also know many photographers hiding their "oops" images as pushing/pulling images can have a difficult time recovering colour. I also know there are perfectly exposed photos that get converted for visual impact with no "colour" distractions from backgrounds and elevates the attention to the subject.

Mullin's images are great I just see some B&W images are a little too underexposed and can portray a heavy dark feeling as you look at it while there are bright smiles and light hearted moments. The subject matter sometimes seems colour is much more suitable for some expressions. Perhaps back in the day with B&W film there's no choice but now we are not limited to only B&W. This is how I analyze his portfolio but I'm not his customer :P

In general I think you can get away with murder using B&W. Color grading in post is another skill all together and extremely time consuming.

Back to Jpg.........I think converting RAW to jpg in LR isn't a slow process. Easy to "RAW" batch process equally as much as throwing jpg in there. I haven't processed any of my jpg image in years. I just blindly throw in RAW due to habits and never logically thought of Fuji Jpg........

With my bodies memory space isn't an issue. I can throw in a 128gb card and 64gb card in the dual slots. You can virtually eliminate touching the memory all together during a shoot. My usual combo is a 128gb and 32gb though.......

sponsored links

624,843 views & 2304 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.