Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 27 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 08:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Air New Zealand carry on weight limit - 15lbs ????!

dhornick
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Aug 27, 2017 08:36 |  #1

So I'm leaving for Australia and New Zealand for three weeks and just find this out. 15lbs is absurd. My camera bag will weight 30+lbs. I am not/will not check a bag worth $$$$. I've never had one bit of problem going to Europe but this is definitely a huge problem. Anybody, any thoughts, suggestions, ideas. vmadvmadvmadvmad

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Aug 27, 2017 09:32 |  #2

I thought this was absurd as well so I checked a few websites and yep, you are restricted to 7kg (15 pounds). Crazy.

Sounds like flights are full so space is at a premium and more than likely the 15 lbs rule will be enforced. In this case, I would consider purchasing a Pelican hard case with good foam padding, lock it up and check it.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Aug 27, 2017 13:31 |  #3

Naturalist wrote in post #18438223 (external link)
I thought this was absurd as well so I checked a few websites and yep, you are restricted to 7kg (15 pounds). Crazy.

Sounds like flights are full so space is at a premium and more than likely the 15 lbs rule will be enforced. In this case, I would consider purchasing a Pelican hard case with good foam padding, lock it up and check it.

And purchase insurance for it...

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,020 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 27, 2017 13:35 |  #4

In 2006 my wife and I flew to Melbourne Australia via New Zealand on ANZ, with San Francisco as our origin. Checking in the ANZ rep weighed our carry on, and I had to offload some items from my carryon into the checked luggage, before the rep OK'd my carryon at 7.5Kg.
ANZ is not alone among airlines with 7Kg limits...of 68 airlines in the world

• Three have 11lb. limits!
  • Two have 13lb limits
  • Fifteen have 15lb (one 16 lbs) limits

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 27, 2017 13:48 |  #5

Please don't consider this advice, as obviously it is a gamble/crapshoot, and worked fro some airlines it would appear may not for NZ.

But, every airline I have flown in the last 6 years or so has had such an advertised carry claim, and I have broken it every time by orders of magnitude without being challenged.

For instance, South African Airlines has the 7KG limit. I had ALL of my important camera gear in my normal luggage rolling carry on. Perhaps over 50 pounds of weight.

Likewise to Galapagos, etc..

But It sounds like NZ may be far more likely to actually enforce this rule, so not sure why it seems to be so ignored elsewhere.

Other airlines much more often have these little cages into which you must be able to fit your carry on, so DO NOT exceed the specified outer dimensions! This will get your bag checked.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Aug 27, 2017 14:01 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18438377 (external link)
Please don't consider this advice, as obviously it is a gamble/crapshoot, and worked fro some airlines it would appear may not for NZ.

But, every airline I have flown in the last 6 years or so has had such an advertised carry claim, and I have broken it every time by orders of magnitude without being challenged.

For instance, South African Airlines has the 7KG limit. I had ALL of my important camera gear in my normal luggage rolling carry on. Perhaps over 50 pounds of weight.

Likewise to Galapagos, etc..

But It sounds like NZ may be far more likely to actually enforce this rule, so not sure why it seems to be so ignored elsewhere.

Other airlines much more often have these little cages into which you must be able to fit your carry on, so DO NOT exceed the specified outer dimensions! This will get your bag checked.

This is something I would not mind trying at all except for the fact that I'd be the one caught and holding up the line repacking. I hate being "that guy" holding up lines.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,091 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 27, 2017 14:22 |  #7

Solution:

Switch to Fuji for travel

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Wilt
39,020 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Aug 27, 2017 14:57 |  #8

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18438377 (external link)

ANZ and Qantas were both far more rigid about enforcement of their respective policies than any other airlines I have flown in a lifetime of over 1 Million air miles. First time ever having carry-on weighed, first time ever having to subject bag to the measurement frame....the question is not why others are so relaxed, but "Why is ANZ and Qantas so rigid about it???"
In Quatas' case, flying from Melbourne to Sydney they checked the size of my carryon bag, which had two plastic feet (in addition to the wheels) and I had to tip the bag just a few degrees to get the bag to go into the frame past the two plastic feet (with no other forcing to fit, nor other resistance) but Qantas refused to 'pass' the bag and forced me to check it, explaining one could NOT tip the bag at all!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 27, 2017 17:34 |  #9

Your bag is weighed, you are not. It's weighed at check in only, if it is at all.
Pockets in a coat for lenses and camera on a strap, check in, once through security load up your bag and roll happy. Once your bag is the correct size you are good to go - fitting everything in there can be an issue.

Last flight I took, a month or so ago, I had to fit my gear into a LP Urban Reporter 250 as it was the biggest bag I had that was under the size limit of the airline, also a 15Lb limit, took all my gear fine and I was just under weight. Like you there is no way I'm ever checking in any gear that can get damaged. Shooting a smaller system helped keep the weight down.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Aug 27, 2017 20:28 |  #10

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18438535 (external link)
Your bag is weighed, you are not. It's weighed at check in only, if it is at all.
Pockets in a coat for lenses and camera on a strap, check in, once through security load up your bag and roll happy. Once your bag is the correct size you are good to go - fitting everything in there can be an issue.

Last flight I took, a month or so ago, I had to fit my gear into a LP Urban Reporter 250 as it was the biggest bag I had that was under the size limit of the airline, also a 15Lb limit, took all my gear fine and I was just under weight. Like you there is no way I'm ever checking in any gear that can get damaged. Shooting a smaller system helped keep the weight down.

Flew norwegian air last month. They were super strict about a 10kg carry-on limit. So, i loaded my lens and my iPad in my pocket. Luckily i had my favorite sweatshirt with a pouch in the front, it took the iPad, the 135 f/2 and 24-70 f/4 without any problem. That was enough to bring the weight down to about 10kgs.

Never had this issue before, though. It just might be that airlines are getting strict about weight limits. I read somewhere about some airlines, i forget which one (maybe Samoan air?), that sets the ticket price based on the combined weight of the passenger and the baggage they are carrying. Might be the way of the future!!!

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,091 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 27, 2017 20:59 |  #11

So basically have a photo vest stuffed in the bag so when you arrive to checkin slam the vest on and fill up.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Aug 27, 2017 23:35 |  #12

If weight is an issue I take the camera out of my carry on and just hang it over my shoulder. Then put back in the bag when past check in.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 28, 2017 00:00 |  #13

Around here, you go through the x-ray you can't even have a wallet in your pocket or shoes on.. what happens then?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Wilt
39,020 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 28, 2017 00:00 |  #14

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18438758 (external link)
If weight is an issue I take the camera out of my carry on and just hang it over my shoulder. Then put back in the bag when past check in.

Since it is the right time of year down under, wear a long coat (or have it over your arm) with a lens in each pocket when you check in and get your carryon weighed, OP!

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Aug 28, 2017 00:36 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18438767 (external link)
Around here, you go through the x-ray you can't even have a wallet in your pocket or shoes on.. what happens then?

The lenses and the iPad went back into the carry-on after the nice lady at the counter approved the carry-on (with a sticker even), so at security i only had my wallet in my pocket. Even the sweatshirt got unceremoniously dumped in the carry-on :-)

sponsored links

1,125 views & 17 likes for this thread
Air New Zealand carry on weight limit - 15lbs ????!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.