Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 27 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 08:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Air New Zealand carry on weight limit - 15lbs ????!

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 28, 2017 00:55 |  #16

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18438767 (external link)
Around here, you go through the x-ray you can't even have a wallet in your pocket or shoes on.. what happens then?

You get to put your gear in a tray. Security (we have that too) have nothing to do with how much you are carrying on the airplane they just care about what you are bringing on.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 28, 2017 03:32 |  #17

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18438795 (external link)
Security (we have that too) have nothing to do with how much you are carrying on the airplane they just care about what you are bringing on.

yes, and no. Most of the concepts around keeping hand luggage weight down is either to do with overall aircraft weight (i.e. more weight = more fuel cost) or to do with potential harm that unrestrained heavy objects can do in the case of turbulence or serious accident.

Sadly, every airline in the world seems to have different interpretations on what is acceptable for both cases, and you end up with some folks boarding (or attempting to board) with all their worldly possessions because they either thought they could get away with it, or they didn't consider what was reasonable.

I feel for anyone who genuinely needs to travel with lots of expensive heavy photographic gear, but until every airline comes up with a standard allowance, you'll end up with some airlines with more (or less) than others. Best you can do is turn up early for the flight and don't look as if you're carrying around lead weights or anything huge.

I know it doesn't help, but it could always be worse, they could stop you flying with any onboard electronics larger than a cellphone...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 28, 2017 05:05 |  #18

joeseph wrote in post #18438867 (external link)
yes, and no. Most of the concepts around keeping hand luggage weight down is either to do with overall aircraft weight (i.e. more weight = more fuel cost) or to do with potential harm that unrestrained heavy objects can do in the case of turbulence or serious accident.

And how is any of that dealt with while going through security check? In my experience security never care if you bag is overweight, they don't weigh it, or how oversized it is, they don't measure it. They only care about what you are bringing on and making sure you stay within the guidelines of permissible on board materials or items.

I have yet to visit New Zealand, perhaps these things are different there. One day I hope to.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 28, 2017 05:19 |  #19

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18438893 (external link)
And how is any of that dealt with while going through security check?

there are times depending on the size of the operation, where "security check" and "baggage check" are one & the same thing...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 28, 2017 06:33 as a reply to joeseph's post |  #20

Must be fairly small airport for that but I could see it.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,091 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Talley.
Aug 28, 2017 09:34 |  #21

I'm planning a trip to an island near bora bora for 2019 and will have to deal with weight limits. Air Tahiti allows only 1 bag and a weight limit of 22lbs per person for carry on but still allows 50lb for a checked bag.

This is the other main reason for buying the wife into Fuji. All I gotta do is pick up a couple more lenses and a body and together we'll have a nice travel kit. With a 22lb weight limit I'll have a hard time packing the 5D.

Edit: I couldn't imagine 15lb limit sheesh

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

nordlysBW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Aug 28, 2017 15:15 |  #22

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18438767 (external link)
Around here, you go through the x-ray you can't even have a wallet in your pocket or shoes on.. what happens then?

You'fre right about the security check, but the airline people, not the TSA folks, are the ones who fuss about the size or weight of your carry-on. So you just have to juggle around with the items in your carry-on to satisfy the requirements at these two different stages of the boarding process. Empty pockets for security and well-filled large pockets for the the weight and size check.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,091 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 28, 2017 15:25 |  #23

Kinda sucks for a pelican 1510 that weighs 13lbs bare.

My Gear Archive

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 28, 2017 15:37 |  #24

The suitcase weight issue is one that I have taken into consideration most vehemently. It is why I do not own a "Camera bag" for air travel.

Pelicans, Thinktank roller bags, Tamrac backpacks, all weigh MUCH more than a modern 21" lightweight roller carry on.

With the rolling carry on @ 6 pounds or so, you use things you need to pack anyway for padding around your gear, socks, shorts, boxers etc. All that silly padding in camera packs = wasted weight.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,091 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 28, 2017 16:20 |  #25

My streetwalker roller I just got weighs 8lbs 6oz by itself the way I keep it divided. The small 21" rockland travel carry on I have weighs 5lbs 10oz by itself without any padding. Now I'm sure you could use your clothing as padding but wouldn't be good to mess with that when you arrive to a shoot. The difference here is 2lbs 12oz in weight but one has to factor in the weight of the padding you will use.

I personally don't plan on using my roller for airline travel but have taken with me on a couple trips already in the vehicle and it's really nice to load up and head into a recital or competition or other event say your a wedding guy. Mostly from vehicle to venue etc thats where it shines.

I feel pretty confident I could have my roller packed fall down stairs and survive and protect what is inside. I don't have that same confidence padding my own stuff. All that only to save ~2lbs once you factor in padding?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear Archive

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Post has been edited 1 month ago by dhornick.
Aug 29, 2017 05:47 |  #26

Talley wrote in post #18439436 (external link)
My streetwalker roller I just got weighs 8lbs 6oz by itself the way I keep it divided. The small 21" rockland travel carry on I have weighs 5lbs 10oz by itself without any padding. Now I'm sure you could use your clothing as padding but wouldn't be good to mess with that when you arrive to a shoot. The difference here is 2lbs 12oz in weight but one has to factor in the weight of the padding you will use.

I personally don't plan on using my roller for airline travel but have taken with me on a couple trips already in the vehicle and it's really nice to load up and head into a recital or competition or other event say your a wedding guy. Mostly from vehicle to venue etc thats where it shines.

I feel pretty confident I could have my roller packed fall down stairs and survive and protect what is inside. I don't have that same confidence padding my own stuff. All that only to save ~2lbs once you factor in padding?

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Talley in
./showthread.php?p=184​39436&i=i175609652
forum: General Photography Talk
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Talley in
./showthread.php?p=184​39436&i=i34742646
forum: General Photography Talk

The sad part is, this is exactly the new bag, the ThinkTank Streetwalker roller backpack I bought for this trip. Now it will sit in the closet until I get back! Really pisses me off.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Aug 29, 2017 07:15 |  #27

I routinely take carry on bags at around twice the 7kg limit and have never had an issue.

Tips,
Look up the size requirements for the airline and use a backpack style bag that meets said requirements. Don't even think about using a pelican style case, avoid bags/cases that look heavy. Avoid bags with wheels.

Sling your carry on over one shoulder, as if it weighs very little, when walking on the plane.

Backup plan, have a camera sling in the bag so you can carry a camera and lens out of the bag onto the plane around your neck. Wear pants with lots of pockets :)

Gear List

nordlysBW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post has been edited 1 month ago by nordlysBW.
Aug 29, 2017 14:55 |  #28

I routinely start up saving weight on the carry-on luggage piece itself with a Cabin Max Metz Extra that weighs just 0.7kg, Featherlight! I would not hike ten miles with it, or carry it around all day but for airport use it's acceptable.

The size (IATA 55x40x20cm) saves you having to bargain around with airline staff at the boarding gate, and while you cannot fill it to the brim with photo equipment to stay under a 7 or 10kg limit, it is large enough (and even expandable) to be quickly stuffed with all the things you distributed over different pockets once you are through the size and weight check.

As I keep the Cabin Max with me and don't toss it around, it does not need more padding than that provided by the reasonably lightweight Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW II that I keep inside it with one body and two lenses, plus as needed, one or two in S&F pouches.

sponsored links

1,139 views & 17 likes for this thread
Air New Zealand carry on weight limit - 15lbs ????!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.