Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Aug 27, 2017 16:01 as a reply to post 18437842 |  #18121

I use Pelican cases Kev. Gear inside while I condensate the car interior. Wake up, open up the car, no problems. A garbage bag would do the same thing...

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

sponsored links
bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
From Blackpool UK to Brisbane Australia 20 yrs ago
Aug 27, 2017 16:43 |  #18122

Pondrader wrote in post #18438180 (external link)
Awesome Kev, I'm interested.. What is winter for you. ?

June to August Jeff. Average day temps 21C / 70Fbut rarely drops below 9C / 48F during the night. Up in the mountains though 5 to 7 less+ wind chill factor. Last time I went up in winter I was in a Campervan and there was 3 of us and the inside was dripping with condensation from our warm breath in the morning. Only me this time but smaller vehicle and wondering if I'll have the same problem with condensation. The gear will be well packed but don't fancy drips on my head during the night :oops: I'll try one night with the windows closed and a tub of damprid and if I get the same problem, I'll sleep with a window open the next days and rise before the sun so I won't have to worry about snakes in the morning :lol:

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

nardes
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Aug 27, 2017 16:53 |  #18123

bidkev wrote in post #18438508 (external link)
June to August Jeff. Average day temps 21C / 70Fbut rarely drops below 9C / 48F during the night. Up in the mountains though 5 to 7 less+ wind chill factor. Last time I went up in winter I was in a Campervan and there was 3 of us and the inside was dripping with condensation from our warm breath in the morning. Only me this time but smaller vehicle and wondering if I'll have the same problem with condensation. The gear will be well packed but don't fancy drips on my head during the night :oops: I'll try one night with the windows closed and a tub of damprid and if I get the same problem, I'll sleep with a window open the next days and rise before the sun so I won't have to worry about snakes in the morning :lol:

Hi Kev

If you can park under some trees/foliage, then less heat will be ripped away from your van by the cooling night skies, so this might lessen the overall moisture problem, although do make sure any overhanging foliage is safe - strong winds can snap off branches, etc.

If you get westerly winds, these are usually dry so they will hopefully lead to a more pleasant (although cooler) expedition.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Aug 27, 2017 17:47 |  #18124

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Aug 27, 2017 17:58 |  #18125

nardes wrote in post #18438511 (external link)
Hi Kev

If you can park under some trees/foliage, then less heat will be ripped away from your van by the cooling night skies, so this might lessen the overall moisture problem, although do make sure any overhanging foliage is safe - strong winds can snap off branches, etc.

If you get westerly winds, these are usually dry so they will hopefully lead to a more pleasant (although cooler) expedition.:-)

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. Yes, it's why I rigged the fourby. The sites under shade drop their branches in strong wind. My tent got wiped out last summer in an afternoon storm and I intended the fourby merely as backup but it looks that cosy that the tent may well become the backup although the fourby will be too hot in summer.

See my fish and fishy photography tips here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Canon 7D mk2 | Canon 6D, 100-400L mk2, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100 Macro | 24 EF-S 2.8 STM |Canon 1.4 Ex Mklll | Canon 580EXll| Kenko 12,20,36 Ext tubes |

RodS57
Joined Jun 2014
Aug 27, 2017 20:50 |  #18126

I only have biting insects, no snakes so this might not work for you. Also not if it is going to rain. Anyway, I picked up some vinyl fly screen, scrounged some of the 'rubber' magnetic strips from a fridge door. Cut the screen to rough shape so you have enough to cover a window opening in one of your doors. Use the salvaged magnetic strips to attach the screen to the outside of the door and over the window. Just lay the screen on the door frame and lay the magnetic strip on top. Tweak it after it is in place. Sit in comfort with your window down. Requires no modifications to the vehicle and leaves no marks (that I've ever noticed). Even having the window down a couple of inches will release a lot of the moisture.

Rod

PS: your winter is pretty much my summer only my summer is shorter.

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
Joined Aug 2012
Minden, Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Pondrader.
Aug 27, 2017 21:09 |  #18127

RodS57 wrote in post #18438674 (external link)
I only have biting insects, no snakes so this might not work for you. Also not if it is going to rain. Anyway, I picked up some vinyl fly screen, scrounged some of the 'rubber' magnetic strips from a fridge door. Cut the screen to rough shape so you have enough to cover a window opening in one of your doors. Use the salvaged magnetic strips to attach the screen to the outside of the door and over the window. Just lay the screen on the door frame and lay the magnetic strip on top. Tweak it after it is in place. Sit in comfort with your window down. Requires no modifications to the vehicle and leaves no marks (that I've ever noticed). Even having the window down a couple of inches will release a lot of the moisture.

Rod

So true Rod,.. our winter is so much different. Kev I'm at 14c right now 10pm and it was 20c today, last night it dipped down to 3c and we are at the tail end of summer. You can feel a change in the air and fall feels like its around the corner.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Aug 28, 2017 00:11 |  #18128

RodS57 wrote in post #18438674 (external link)

Rod

Thanks Rod. Didn't think it'd arrive in time but I've just finished butchering one of these cheap as chip jobs: http://www.ebay.com.au ...1470c8:g:CFIAAOSwfp​VZLCHu (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Aug 28, 2017 00:26 |  #18129

Immaculens wrote in post #18437537 (external link)
Hah hah its like a 70-300L IS reunion in here!

I loved the lens and had it for over a year even when I got my Sigma 150-600 - I do miss the 300 because it is lighter than the Sigma and weather guarded.

Will, if I recall correctly, I was about to buy a 60D and you suggested I get a 15-85 instead of buying a 60D kit... and as soon as possible, you said I should add the 70-300L...

I followed your advice and used that combination for quite a while..... Sound advice... Thank you again.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
Canberra Australia
Aug 28, 2017 01:25 as a reply to post 18437842 |  #18130

I hate sleeping in cars, they attract the cold and you end up with the windows running on the inside. Get yourself a swag and a stretcher., super comfortable and warm no matter what the weather. If the forecast is for rain a small tarp of the car is all you need. And the birds don't mind it for a perch.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4351/36002471744_215c0d839f_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WRq5​xs] (external link)Camp-4789 (external link) by shorty (external link), on Flickr

I prefer to be in the bush with the animals than a crowded city.
Shorty
Flickrexternal link

bidkev
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by bidkev. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 28, 2017 01:39 |  #18131

rawshorty wrote in post #18438806 (external link)
I hate sleeping in cars, they attract the cold and you end up with the windows running on the inside. Get yourself a swag and a stretcher., super comfortable and warm no matter what the weather. If the forecast is for rain a small tarp of the car is all you need. And the birds don't mind it for a perch.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WRq5​xs] (external link)Camp-4789 (external link) by shorty (external link), on Flickr

I've got a swag mate but it's a bit too claustraphobic for me. I'm taking the tent as well in case I want to trek off base but I just wanted to try the fourby out. Recommend this feller. Enough room for 2 weighs less than 2 kilo, only one pole and I can have it up in less than 5 minutes http://www.edclist.com​/images/vango-blade.jpg (external link)

Shuttershare
Joined Oct 2015
Aug 28, 2017 06:50 |  #18132

Sushi!

HOSTED PHOTO

"Arrive before everyone else, and leave after everyone's gone!"
https://www.picfair.co​m/users/PaulSG (external link)
Instagram @SHUTTERSHARE

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Aug 28, 2017 19:00 |  #18133

Amusement Park ride in Philadelphia

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4348/35622157053_11b765da40_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://www.flickr.com .../album-72157684630975361/] (external link)
JAK_1015 (external link) by Jack Silver (external link) on Flickr

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Aug 29, 2017 00:54 |  #18134

HOSTED PHOTO

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

shooz
Joined Jan 2013
Blenheim, Ontario, Canada
Aug 29, 2017 15:10 |  #18135

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4172/34563543922_f948208210_b.jpg

Dave
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,804,832 views & 76649 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.