Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 30 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 21:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New York City - Washington Square Park

Mare333
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2017
Post has been edited 25 days ago by Mare333.
Aug 30, 2017 21:02 |  #1

Hello everyone, here is a new image for your critique. On my previous images the feedback was that the light was flat so on these two images my goal was to have the light that is NOT flat. Hopefully I succeeded. The photos are of a famous Washington Square Park (my favorite park) in New York City. The first photo is a day look and the second one is an evening look. Please let me know which one you think is more successful. I can't decide if the shadows from the trees on the left side of the day look are adding to the image or taking away from it. I think it's better than no shadows at all. Also how am I doing with distortion? I am still learning how to fix that in Photoshop. The settings were as follows - 1) on the day look Nikon D3300 and 18-55mm lens at 30mm, f/10, shutter speed 1/100, ISO 100; 2) on the evening look Nikon D3300 and 18-55mm lens at 24mm, f/10, shutter speed 1/60 (since it was evening it needed slower shutter speed), ISO 800 (had to bump ISO to 800 under these lighting conditions. The flash wouldn't reach so the only solution was to increase ISO). I look forward to your opinions, thanks:-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 31, 2017 09:03 |  #2

So there are alot of things to look for when taking a photo and you need to have some knowlage about each of them. You seem to me focusing on stuff that I wouldn't necessarily be worried about. The distortion is kind of one of those things. The thing that jumps out to me is the composition. I understand you are practicing and just kinda taking pics of landmarks but you can still practive good composition. One rule is not to cut off little parts of the subject ie the fountain top and in one the bottom is cut off. Its not satisfying to the viewer's brain to not see the top of the water spray. I don't know how new you are to your camera or understanding of setting but getting a feel for what are high and low settings is important. Right off the bat f10 is pretty excessive for this scene and 1/60 is on the slow side for hand held shots (depending on if your lens has IS). In turn try to learn at what iso your camera creates usable images. Im not saying obsess about setting just get familiar with different settings. Understanding light is big too. I wouldnt call this light overly flat but maybe Ill check out your other post where it seems it was the issue.

Just an fyi you dont need to list your settings bc usually they pop up over your images anyways

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2017
Aug 31, 2017 09:40 |  #3

DThriller wrote in post #18441348 (external link)
So there are alot of things to look for when taking a photo and you need to have some knowlage about each of them. You seem to me focusing on stuff that I wouldn't necessarily be worried about. The distortion is kind of one of those things. The thing that jumps out to me is the composition. I understand you are practicing and just kinda taking pics of landmarks but you can still practive good composition. One rule is not to cut off little parts of the subject ie the fountain top and in one the bottom is cut off. Its not satisfying to the viewer's brain to not see the top of the water spray. I don't know how new you are to your camera or understanding of setting but getting a feel for what are high and low settings is important. Right off the bat f10 is pretty excessive for this scene and 1/60 is on the slow side for hand held shots (depending on if your lens has IS). In turn try to learn at what iso your camera creates usable images. Im not saying obsess about setting just get familiar with different settings. Understanding light is big too. I wouldnt call this light overly flat but maybe Ill check out your other post where it seems it was the issue.

Just an fyi you dont need to list your settings bc usually they pop up over your images anyways

Thank you very much for taking the time to critique my photos. I knew I would be called out on cutting off the top and the bottom of the fountain in the day picture. Frankly I just didn't have enough space to move further away and I didn't decrease focal length because I preferred the arch to be nice and big in the frame. On the second photo the fountain is NOT cut off and I agree it looks much better that way. Anyway, thanks again,
Mare

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Sep 01, 2017 03:43 |  #4

Man, trust me, you are wasting too much time on tech details. Give more thought on actual subject and how to photograph it better. An image should talk. If it talks, the tek is less important /usually/ and/or to operate is much easier, as you know, what you want to ahow. No postprocessing will reveal things, that are not there /mentally/. Yes, sometimes "milking" in post can produce results, but usually all important things are created in your head before the actual shutter release.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 22 days ago by kf095.
Sep 02, 2017 22:28 |  #5

IMO.
First one is yes. Good, if not perfect, for postcard at the stand on this location. Second one ... I have no idea why it is here.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

405 views & 3 likes for this thread
New York City - Washington Square Park
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.