Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 02 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 09:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, reviewed by imsellingmyfoot

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND imsellingmyfoot (showing now: imsellingmyfoot)
Overall Rating8
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money8.5
Bokeh9
Sharpness9.5
Contrast8.5
Focusing7
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use8.5
Got What I Expected9
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Aug 02, 2017 09:00 |  #1

I originally bought this lens a month or so after it came out. I spent a month lusting over it and Canon Price Watch had a great deal on it from one of their street price deals. This review will compare it to my 35 Art, because I had that first, and was hoping to get something akin to it.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I've thought about selling it a few times, and each time I want to sell it, I'll go use it and remember why I keep it. It really excels as a museum lens. 24mm on my 6D is the perfect focal length for going to museums for me. I also use it a lot for landscapes. There's no vignetting with my LEE 100mm filters.

Sharpness
This lens is very sharp wide open, and gets noticeably sharper as I stop it down. I do minimal sharpening and am always happy with results. It does taper off in the corners, even stopped down. It is not as sharp as my 35A, but I am happy with the sharpness.

Autofocus
The autofocus on this lens is is pretty solid, but a step below my 35A. It is a little slower to focus than the 35A and I cannot get focus in as dark of conditions.

Chromatic Aberration / Coma / Distortion / Vignetting
I don't notice much chromatic aberration with this lens, and anything that is there gets cleaned up nicely by the defaults in Lightroom. Coma is pretty bad in the corners, almost to the point where it is unusable for astrophotography. I go back and forth with this lens and my 35 Art for astrophotography. This lens has much worse corner performance than the 35A, but it's much wider, so I go back and forth. I don't notice much distortion with this lens that isn't easily corrected with the Lightroom defaults. Under f/2.8, vignetting is pretty severe, at around 2+ stops, which is enough that it's hard to correct in dark images (like astrophotography).

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

SunD3v1L
46 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Aug 31, 2017 16:11 |  #2

Thanks for the review; considering the Sigma 18-30 1.8 ART and I've been hearing great things about the ART lenses in general!

454 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art, reviewed by imsellingmyfoot
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.