Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 18 Aug 2017 (Friday) 14:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

M-Disc for data back up? Optical may not be dead after all.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 21, 2017 13:32 |  #31

Nah. I'll find a way to test it somewhere.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
sjones
Goldmember
2,190 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Aug 22, 2017 12:55 |  #32

I use M-discs; I don’t need them to last 1,000 or even 100 years, just enough until a better backup solution arrives or until I call it quits.

I trust archival optical discs more than hard drives or flash drives, and I’m not worried about the inability to read them in the future any more than I would be about being able to read a hard drive or flash drive.

The problem with a hard drive is that while it might work for ten or more years, it might implode in ten months or less; I know this first hand, sadly, oh so sadly, not debatable.

As noted, you can still read old floppy discs from two to three decades ago, and optical discs, from CDs to Blu Ray, are exponentially more abundant and engrained into the overall storage infrastructure than floppy discs ever were.

All of this said, I wouldn’t necessarily suggests replacing hard drives with M-discs or other optical discs, but instead to use these more for supplemental archival purposes rather than for general backup…there is a difference.

Admittedly, recording times are slow, and this would discourage even the most diligent user, so it’s media that you might want to use to store only the best of your files, whether photos, important documents, and so forth.

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Ascenta. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 22, 2017 13:26 |  #33

sjones wrote in post #18434195 (external link)
Admittedly, recording times are slow, and this would discourage even the most diligent user, so it’s media that you might want to use to store only the best of your files, whether photos, important documents, and so forth.

But even doing 25GB at a time, which may be a few weeks to months for me, isn't a big deal. I'll just get it started and go do something else (laundry, watch tv, clean up the house, etc)

Now if I did weddings or other photography for work, it would be a pain to burn multiple discs per week, or even every few days depending on the volume.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Aug 22, 2017 13:43 |  #34

All of this said, I wouldn’t necessarily suggests replacing hard drives with M-discs or other optical discs, but instead to use these more for supplemental archival purposes rather than for general backup…there is a difference.

I just got 50 CMC Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs in the mail today. They should be OK for a few decades. Of course I don't really know, nobody has kept them for more than a few years, but they have a chance. At least they can be recorded and read in ordinary optical drives.

I won't be using them for backups and not for archiving all my files either. Instead they are for distributing selected files to family members. Since the disks will most likely get stored away, maybe for many years, they need to last a long time.

I am not distributing any raw files. None of my family members have a clue about raw. They only get finished JPGs. There will be a variety of other files on the disk too. All together, everything will fit on a single DVD. So recording speed is not an issue. But it should be decently fast anyway for these disks at 8X.

Backing up is also important, but I do that on external hard drives. When I finally die or become senile, that process will stop, and those hard drives will all probably get reformatted or tossed out. The CMC TY disks will remain, in the bottoms of boxes in people's attics, and hopefully the contents will still be readable when a curious grandchild discovers them.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 22, 2017 13:58 |  #35

I feel the same. I am impatient and want immediate results. I can't get that here, but HDD is clearly much faster both for back and restore.

So yes, having now successfully recorded a few M-Disk, I will be implementing it as an ADDITION to my current multi hard drive bck ups. The M-Discs will be for dire emergency use,. or for long after I die :)

This seems like a logical approach which I may incorporate vs. burning everything do M-Disk.

And rather than just picking and choosing, (which I would do as well) I have a semi automated solution. I use an xcopy batch file that excludes RAW files to make an archive that only includes all of the files I have already taken the time to process,. Tiff, .psd and jpeg get copied, the thousands of unprocessed RW files get left alone. This cuts the back up down from terabytes to hundreds of gigabytes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post has been edited 1 month ago by -dave-m-.
Sep 01, 2017 11:47 |  #36

I have been using M-Disc as an archival backup for 5+ years, starting with DVD media and now using Blu-Ray. This is my fail safe, off site, last resort back up. I haven't had a write failure on any disc(nearing 100 total at this point), nor have I had an issue with reading a disc on any drive that supports the file type on the Disc. I burn RAW files and JPEGS on separate discs, the JPEG discs have been fine in multiple DVD and Blu-Ray players as well as PC based reader/writers.

The only downside is the lengthy write times as compared to HDD's and SSD's.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

sponsored links

1,326 views & 4 likes for this thread
M-Disc for data back up? Optical may not be dead after all.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.