Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 29 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 06:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

White balance for video in stage lighting

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Aug 29, 2017 06:57 |  #1

Any recommendations for what white balance to use for video with stage lighting. The color of the lighting of course changes dramatically, and the video gets really weird looking sometimes with auto white balance, especially with magenta stage lights.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,827 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 29, 2017 07:06 |  #2

My feeling is that the changes in the lighting are a carefully crafted part of the program, so I would turn off AWB, manually set incandescent WB, & just accept what is presented to me. Otherwise you're just chasing WB through the entire event.
Of course, venues using LED lighting will require a different WB setting.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,531 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 29, 2017 08:24 |  #3

PhotosGuy is basically correct.

To the extent that the lighting is designed, you want to reflect that in the image. Generally, setting your camera for tungsten is the best you can do.

The modern trend is toward LED lighting. It's not hard to see why--runs cooler, cheaper, and a lot longer between bulb changes 'way up high.

But stage LEDs absolutely stink for photography and video, and they're nothing much you can do about it.

Stage LED lights, if you look at them, simulate "white" light for the eye by merely having a sprinkling of separate red, green, and blue LEDs on the light panel. That fools the eye well enough, but not the imaging sensor.

And most of the time (in my experience), only the main lights have even all three colors of LEDs. Most of the auxiliary lighting will be just red and blue LEDs.

Or, lordy, they'll just mix in everything. Maybe the spots will be tungsten and all the auxiliary lighting some mixture of RGB LEDs and RB LEDs.

So, if there are some tungsten's in the mix, you can do a bit of tweaking in post. but you'll largely have to live with a magenta cast otherwise, because the hues you need just don't exist in the light you have to work with.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Aug 29, 2017 09:12 |  #4

Thank you PhotosGuy and RDKirk!

I can't remember is the venue where I will be working has LED lighting. I did video at a venue with all LED strip lights and that lighting was a nightmare for video.

I'm thinking I might be better off to set the white balance manualle instead of letting it "float" in AUto WB mode. Maybe take a few photos on stage with the stage lights off, determine my best WB setting, and use that for the video. WHat do you think?

Thanks again!

PhotosGuy
74,827 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 29, 2017 09:24 |  #5

KatManDEW wrote in post #18439944 (external link)
I'm thinking I might be better off to set the white balance manualle instead of letting it "float" in AUto WB mode.

What sort of event is it? Some have dress rehearsals before & they're useful to plan what what to do at the main event.

Maybe take a few photos on stage with the stage lights off, determine my best WB setting, and use that for the video. WHat do you think?

Why would you want the stage lights off?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 29, 2017 13:09 |  #6

KatManDEW wrote in post #18439944 (external link)
I'm thinking I might be better off to set the white balance manualle instead of letting it "float" in AUto WB mode. Maybe take a few photos on stage with the stage lights off, determine my best WB setting, and use that for the video. WHat do you think?

Manually set it to tungsten.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Aug 29, 2017 18:52 as a reply to nathancarter's post |  #7

That's what I was thinking. Thank you!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 29, 2017 19:38 |  #8

Magenta and red are tough. I am not a big video guy but my basic understanding is that shooting C-log should help with post production when the color gets weird.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Sep 01, 2017 18:04 |  #9

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18440356 (external link)
Magenta and red are tough. I am not a big video guy but my basic understanding is that shooting C-log should help with post production when the color gets weird.

I have not researched C-log. Thanks for the note.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,531 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 01, 2017 20:12 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18440356 (external link)

C-log can't add a color to the light that wasn't in the light. When the spectrum of the original light is so woefully incomplete, it can't be fixed--except maybe by some form of computer-generated coloration.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 01, 2017 21:09 |  #11

RDKirk wrote in post #18442474 (external link)
C-log can't add a color to the light that wasn't in the light. When the spectrum of the original light is so woefully incomplete, it can't be fixed-.

I never suggested it could.

But it can be made less obnoxious.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

1,232 views & 10 likes for this thread
White balance for video in stage lighting
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.