Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 30 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 08:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Weird colors and broken up picture files

WAF
Joined Aug 2006
Long Creek, SC (USA)
Aug 30, 2017 08:10 |  #1

Wedding photography. In 2,000 images I had this happen to two pictures. They are heavy green, that apparently can't be fixed and the image is broken up or disjointed, see bottom and left side. What is going on with this? 5D Mark III (See uploaded images.)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Adrian ~ Canon 30D, Canon Mark3, Canon 5D MarkII, Canon:70-200mm/f2.8, 85mm/1.2, 50mm/1.4, Canon 14mm Fisheye, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, USM, 1.4X, 2.0X , Quantum T5d-R flashes.http://www.adrianfreem​an.comexternal link

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 30, 2017 08:17 |  #2

The fact that there appear to be multiple images in the same frame makes me think of a card writing problem.

Get your images off of that card, format it and try it or just replace it. See if that takes care of it.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 30, 2017 08:31 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #18440651 (external link)
The fact that there appear to be multiple images in the same frame makes me think of a card writing problem.

Get your images off of that card, format it and try it or just replace it. See if that takes care of it.

I assume you are a "pro" having done 2000 pictures of a wedding. I would just replace the card but keep in mind that most cards have a very liberal warranty. Sandisk for one, at least a year ago, takes a simple phone call and a new card is on the way.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 30, 2017 09:29 |  #4

Heya,

Don't use that card anymore. That issue could have happened any where in the chain of data, from dumping to buffer, writing to card, reading from card, writing to your disc for editing. You can try and pull those images from another reader onto another disc maybe. But, odds are, that's an issue with the memory card itself. Replace it and don't use it, especially if you are being paid to shoot weddings. As someone else mentioned, warranty may apply, its worth looking into. But cards are so cheap for good ones, you should have several anyways without question.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,011 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 30, 2017 09:53 |  #5

There are several things it can be. Bad card, bad cable when transferring, (if used) bad reader, bad drivers. Since this is only a few images assessing if it is a bad card is going to be difficult but you might get a hint if you review the image on the back of the camera. If it looks the same then the image is corrupted. If it looks fine, you might try downloading them using a different reader or cable depending on how you moved them from the camera.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 30, 2017 16:19 |  #6

Runthis software to test the memory card (external link). If it turns up fine it could be a problem with the camera, the memory card (even if it passes testing), the cable, the card reader, your computer RAM (test with HCI Memtest (external link) for a minimum of 12 hours, read the instructions well you need to run multiple instances), or your computer hard drive.

If the image is still on the card download it to a different computer using a different cable directly from the camera. If it's still looking weird it's probably the camera or the card.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 30, 2017 17:16 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #18440660 (external link)
I assume you are a "pro" having done 2000 pictures of a wedding. I would just replace the card but keep in mind that most cards have a very liberal warranty. Sandisk for one, at least a year ago, takes a simple phone call and a new card is on the way.

Huh?

I've never shot a wedding in my life.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Aug 30, 2017 17:33 as a reply to saea501's post |  #8

I'm sure that post was meant for WAF.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 31, 2017 00:08 |  #9

saea501 wrote in post #18440651 (external link)

I have a feeling that if there are multiple frames recorded, then there is a buffering problem in the camera, rather than a problem with the card.

WAF - can you post a frame from either side of the problem ones? are the numbers sequential or is there a number missing?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,011 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 31, 2017 06:03 |  #10

joeseph wrote in post #18441195 (external link)
I have a feeling that if there are multiple frames recorded, then there is a buffering problem in the camera, rather than a problem with the card.

WAF - can you post a frame from either side of the problem ones? are the numbers sequential or is there a number missing?

This isn't like film in that something physical get exposed. It's data. When you see this it means that the jpeg header got smashed and is pointing to different and incorrect areas. It's just a data location pointing to the wrong area.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 31, 2017 06:16 |  #11

saea501 wrote in post #18440989 (external link)
Huh?

I've never shot a wedding in my life.

My comment (as others have noted) was for the OP. I was just reiterating your comment to "...just replace it."

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Aug 31, 2017 13:49 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #18441265 (external link)
This isn't like film in that something physical get exposed. It's data. When you see this it means that the jpeg header got smashed and is pointing to different and incorrect areas. It's just a data location pointing to the wrong area.

yes - but if you have two partial pictures (i.e. a shot recorded with data from two separate shutter actuations) it means the camera has mashed together what was written to the card, the card itself isn't likely to have caused the problem.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

WAF
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2006
Long Creek, SC (USA)
Sep 02, 2017 09:48 |  #13

Thanks guys. I have written Canon CPS for their thoughts. The images were consecutive and the images before and after these two images continued the number sequence; no skipping. That weekend I shot three weddings, two with 2,500 images and one with 1,000 images. Cards were rotated out for each day. I no image issues with the other two days and only two images in the 2,500 image wedding. I suspect a card, as many of you have said, just gotta find the card with the potential issue.

Adrian ~ Canon 30D, Canon Mark3, Canon 5D MarkII, Canon:70-200mm/f2.8, 85mm/1.2, 50mm/1.4, Canon 14mm Fisheye, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, USM, 1.4X, 2.0X , Quantum T5d-R flashes.http://www.adrianfreem​an.comexternal link

sponsored links

556 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weird colors and broken up picture files
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.