Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 27 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 23:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Minimalism -- in Travel / Adventure & Nature photography

Michael ­ Frymus
64 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Aug 27, 2017 23:08 |  #1

I've been trying to get a style that I love but also one that I can do.
I'm constantly looking through photos on Instagram for photographers who have a style that I love and would love to have as well.

I've found two accounts that I love a lot:
https://www.instagram.​com/bejamin/ (external link) <-- The minimalism, colors, and the type of nature photos
https://www.instagram.​com/doyoutravel/ (external link) <-- The type of travel photos

I really like their work. Especially the first one.
But, I'm wondering, how can I learn more about doing minimalism photography that is travel/adventure/natur​e related?
Ive gone through youtube and most are architectural type, and dont really help me learn

If I am doing travel & adventure photography (Like the second link) how would I be able to achieve the minimalism and the colors like the first link?

**A majority (or at least 50%) of the photos I take will have myself in them (or potentially another model in the future)
Any additional tips on taking photos of yourself while trying to achieve that style?**

Michael Frymus
Travel Photographer || Filmmaker || Vlogger
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/michaelfrymus (external link)

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Dan Marchant. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 28, 2017 01:09 |  #2

Note: While the tone of the following is rather scathing the advice as to how to create such images is pretty accurate (at least in option 2).

I really despise these fake "how wonderful my life is" shots but as I am here I may as well respond.

There are two ways to get the results you want...

Option 1
Meditate on how wonderful your life is while levitating you and your gear to the most beautiful place on earth. Arrive just as the weather and light are perfect and not another human being is around. Take your shot. Float serenely on to the next location.

Of course the weather/light probably wont be perfect during the two days you have at whichever location and it will undoubtedly be teaming with tourists taking selfies so try option 2.

Option 2
Have your soul surgically removed. Fly economy to wherever. Get up before dawn and take your gear to the location you selected using Google earth/The Photographer's Ephemeris/whatever.

Take dozens of shots of the scene. This is necessary because the scene will be teeming with other "influencers" all trying to photograph their perfect lives and get them uploaded to Instagram before their budget flight leaves at 21.30 this evening for Bali. Make sure to get one shot that includes the most important and beautiful thing there - yourself (or your oh so genuine model).

Import all your shots into Photoshop and mask out all the signs of actual life (people, vehicles etc) and clone out any signs of imperfection/reality (litter, dirt, damage).

Given that the light/weather almost certainly weren't perfect you will need to composite in a different sky, with that one perfect cloud. (Yep, all the other clouds were cloned out). Unfortunately you probably don't have a perfect sky because of the crap weather - but fear not. You can just do what all the other influencers do and download a sky from a stock image site. (At least until you have done enough travelling to compile a collection of skies of your own). Now tweak the white balance and apply a Photoshop action to create fake lens flare/sunlight and finally apply your favourite filter*.

Et voilà, a perfect minimalist travel/adventure photo.

* By "your favourite" I of course mean whichever filter the latest research has show generates the most likes when your image is uploaded at exactly 17.42 on a Tuesday afternoon with the optimal selection of hashtags for your targeted demographic.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Aug 28, 2017 08:22 as a reply to Dan Marchant's post |  #3

I'm sorry to hear that your life isn't as exciting as mine. ;-)a

Michael Frymus

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,593 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 28, 2017 08:44 |  #4

Minimalism? The photos you link to demonstrate the exact opposite of minimalism. To get these types of photos, you'll have to plan ahead, visit the right destinations at the right time, pack and lug a truckload of gear, do what it takes to put yourself into those situation, wait for the proper moment(s), capture the photo, lug all that gear somewhere where you can process the photos, spend time processing and uploading the photos.

If you want to learn minimalism, follow me on vacation. What you will NOT see:
1.) Camera gear, of any kind, beyond a photo-capable cell phone.
2.) Me using a cell phone to take any kind of photo.

What you will see:
1.) Me and my wife, actually seeing and experiencing our chosen destination.

I love cameras, and I love taking pictures. I'd much rather have memories than photographs.

Tom

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Aug 28, 2017 09:35 |  #5

I have been studying minimalist photos lately and came across David Lorenz Winston (external link) recently. He has a great eye and finds beautiful things in ordinary scenes. I've even had a chance to go out on a shoot with him. He works slowly and deliberately and his photos are quite beautiful.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Aug 28, 2017 11:16 |  #6

Light blue and else is muted. Sure where is minimalism in colors. And doesn't seems to be as something hard to get technically.
Minimalism in the content achieved with not busy background and foreground. And something was cloned out.
You don't have to travel far for it, but look more around.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Aug 28, 2017 12:02 |  #7

Here are some example of great minimalism.

Harry Callahan
https://sep.yimg.com ...-by-harry-callahan-29.jpg (external link)

Lewis Baltz
https://artblart.files​.wordpress.com/2010/11​/santa-cruz.jpg (external link)

Eggelston
https://static01.nyt.c​om ...7/arts/07eggl.xlarg​e1.jpg (external link)

W. Eugene Smith
https://i.pinimg.com ...e-smith-eugene-oneill.jpg (external link)

Roy DeCarava
https://68.media.tumbl​r.com ...06bjIaKn1rvjq4qo1_5​00.jpg (external link)

http://images.exhibit-e.com ...s_com/L1110071_20_2​01.jpg (external link)

Michael ­ Frymus
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Aug 28, 2017 12:54 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18439020 (external link)
Minimalism? The photos you link to demonstrate the exact opposite of minimalism. To get these types of photos, you'll have to plan ahead, visit the right destinations at the right time, pack and lug a truckload of gear, do what it takes to put yourself into those situation, wait for the proper moment(s), capture the photo, lug all that gear somewhere where you can process the photos, spend time processing and uploading the photos.

If you want to learn minimalism, follow me on vacation. What you will NOT see:
1.) Camera gear, of any kind, beyond a photo-capable cell phone.
2.) Me using a cell phone to take any kind of photo.

What you will see:
1.) Me and my wife, actually seeing and experiencing our chosen destination.

I love cameras, and I love taking pictures. I'd much rather have memories than photographs.

And that's where our lives are different.

Michael Frymus

Bassat
6,593 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Bassat.
Aug 28, 2017 13:22 |  #9

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18439254 (external link)
And that's where our lives are different.

Oh, I'm sure we have more differences than our photography. That is the beauty of individualism. I've seen quite a few of your postings, and I looked through the links you posted. There is a lot of really good work in both.

I wish I could make such nice photos. For the most part, I am a snap-shooter who can afford decent gear, so that will likely never happen. None of which means I don't appreciate what you do. Your work is beautiful. I meant no disrespect.

I just don't see how this type of work is called 'minimalism'. Obviously, quite some time and effort goes into planning, making, and distributing this type of work. Minimalism, as a word, implies a lot less. Or maybe I just don't understand 'art'.

EDIT:
I just looked at the links in airfrogusmc's posting. Those seem to fit the title of 'minimalist'. What I've seen of the OP's work, and the links posted in the opening thread, seem far from minimalist.

Tom

plantastic
Joined Sep 2010
Isolated land mass
Aug 28, 2017 14:57 |  #10

You forgot to thank the people on the other thread you started that was just like this one, where you were asking for the short cut method of copying other peoples "styles" so you could call it your own.

You were defensive and a little bit insultive, also like this thread, but not thankful to those who gave you good advice and time.

Someone that has a style, has created it with a lot of invested time, trial, and failure...peppered with some success. They are authentic artists.

Someone that copies the style of someone else and passes it off as their own, is not authentic. They are not artists.

Bassat
6,593 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 28, 2017 15:05 |  #11

plantastic wrote in post #18439357 (external link)
You forgot to thank the people on the other thread you started that was just like this one, where you were asking for the short cut method of copying other peoples "styles" so you could call it your own.

You were defensive and a little bit insultive, also like this thread, but not thankful to those who gave you good advice and time.

Someone that has a style, has created it with a lot of invested time, trial, and failure...peppered with some success. They are authentic artists.

Someone that copies the style of someone else and passes it off as their own, is not authentic. They are not artists.

Right. That's why imitation is called the sincerest form of flattery. Everything, that anyone ever does is influenced by everything they have ever been exposed to up to that point. I would find it quite impossible to believe that everything you have done is completely original. I find your post insulting and condescending.

Tom

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 28, 2017 15:47 |  #12

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18439006 (external link)
I'm sorry to hear that your life isn't as exciting as mine. ;-)a

Wow.

You really know how to make friends.

Did you copy your 'exciting life' from someone else too?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

plantastic
Joined Sep 2010
Isolated land mass
Post has been edited 2 months ago by plantastic.
Aug 28, 2017 15:53 |  #13

Bassat wrote in post #18439366 (external link)
Right. That's why imitation is called the sincerest form of flattery. Everything, that anyone ever does is influenced by everything they have ever been exposed to up to that point. I would find it quite impossible to believe that everything you have done is completely original. I find your post insulting and condescending.

I completely understand what you are saying. We are all influenced by everything we come in contact with. I would associate that more with being inspired, which is the fuel that drives study, practice. After time, you develop a style.

To me, that is different than asking people to show you how someone does something.

I'm sorry you find my comments insulting and condescending, but I was surprised that Frymus never thanked anyone for trying to help him the first time around.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Aug 30, 2017 22:11 |  #14

Michael Frymus wrote in post #18438744 (external link)
Any additional tips on taking photos of yourself while trying to achieve that style?**

Photos of yourself intrude upon the scene and thus distract from your stated purpose.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 03, 2017 21:12 |  #15

To this point, my photographs are mostly of birds.......so no style.

I just purchased a 6D and hope to branch out some. I doubt I'll be trying to develop a unique style. I'll figure out what appeals to me, I'm sure. ߘ

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links

1,476 views & 16 likes for this thread
Minimalism -- in Travel / Adventure & Nature photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.