Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 16 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 22:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

sharpness advice.

Nickothurston
Joined Aug 2016
Aug 16, 2017 22:45 |  #1

Hello, I took this shot in pretty terrible light but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to deal with heat shimmer or anything else I could have done to get a sharper cleaner image? thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 17, 2017 06:58 |  #2

Ya know.........there is such a thing as being too sharp.

And I think the heat shimmer adds to it.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,722 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Aug 17, 2017 07:32 |  #3

There is a ton of heat shimmer as evidenced in the ground area. Also, a TC is going to degrade IQ a bit. Finally, why shoot birds at f11? If you were very close, I guess I could see that, but if this was quite far, then f11 might be overkill and you might be hitting diffraction issues? I probably would have left it at f8 personally.

At 40' you have 6 inches of DOF, and if you place the focus on the bird properly, that is more than enough to get all of the bird in focus. I would almost suggest doing AFMA on the lens+TC to push your focus back quite a bit, almost +10.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

Nickothurston
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Nickothurston.
Aug 17, 2017 11:45 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #4

Thanks for all the advice, I was shooting at f11 because I was very close about 12 to 15 feet, also how would the +10 help? just curious I am pretty new to microadjusting. thanks again.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,722 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 17, 2017 21:30 as a reply to Nickothurston's post |  #5

Only the front of the bird is in focus, and it appears that the ground in front is focused. +10 is just from my experience, and if focus falls to far behind, bring the number down to around 7. You can store one adjustment just for the lens, and a separate one for the TC combo.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,545 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 17, 2017 21:47 |  #6

Looking at EXIF, slightly higher ISO and slightly less stopped down = double or more your shutter speed.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 06, 2017 01:26 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18429894 (external link)
There is a ton of heat shimmer as evidenced in the ground area. Also, a TC is going to degrade IQ a bit. Finally, why shoot birds at f11? If you were very close, I guess I could see that, but if this was quite far, then f11 might be overkill and you might be hitting diffraction issues? I probably would have left it at f8 personally.

At 40' you have 6 inches of DOF, and if you place the focus on the bird properly, that is more than enough to get all of the bird in focus. I would almost suggest doing AFMA on the lens+TC to push your focus back quite a bit, almost +10.

Even if he isn't reaching diffraction limitation, he's probably well beyond f/ for peak sharpness.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || TT560

sponsored links

560 views & 2 likes for this thread
sharpness advice.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.