Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 03 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 19:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Micro adjust lenses

James ­ Crockett
121 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 03, 2017 19:52 |  #1

How do you micro adjust lenses? Thanks

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,592 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 03, 2017 19:54 |  #2

You don't. You micro adjust how your camera responds to a particular (or all) lenses. The camera has to be capable of the feature.

Tom

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 03, 2017 19:58 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #3

That's what I'm trying to learn. Thanks!

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,026 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TooManyShots.
Sep 03, 2017 20:25 |  #4

Is my quick way and very efficient...even to properly calibrate my Sigma 18-35 art lens. With the way I do it, I use shot samples from LiveView AF. The AF under LiveView is generally more accurate than using your viewfinder. I would test the lens under 3 shooting distances....near the lens' min focusing distance, middle range distance from 5ft to 15ft (depending on your lens and some lens would focus to infinity after 6 ft). Check your focusing distance scale on your lens. Long telephoto lens would have a great middle distance range...something like 15ft to 30ft. The last distance to be tested is at infinity.

I used to use a printed out chart but find it too small. Now, I use a large box with some very bright words and letters on it. For a standard zoom or shorter focal length lens, I would put this box at 6 ft. I would use the LiveView AF to determine if the shooting distance is actually at 6ft. Just look at the distance scale on the lens. Then, I take a shot under the LiveView AF. The shot is going to be sharp. And test the lens at wide open all the way. And the focusing distance scale should be lined up at "6." Or not, move your tripod with camera if needed. Now, pay attention where the vertical bar positions on the focusing scale. It could be slightly in front of the number "6." Or in the middle of it. Just behind it. Then, you switch to viewfinder AF. Now, look at again where the bar positions now. If the position moves in front of the "6," the lens is front focusing. If at the back of the "6," the lens is back focusing. See, you don't need test shots to see if the lens is front focusing or back focusing this way.

To correct front focusing, set the MA value to a + setting. Try +2, +4, +6 until the vertical bar (in your focusing distance scale on the lens) positions the same way as in under the LiveView AF. Easy, right??? Do the same with back focusing using - value. Hopefully, now, this MA value would also fix your focusing issue at the near end of the lens min focusing distance, and at infinity. You have to run the same test under the lens's near min focusing distance. For infinity testing, I would use something like a car or a house across the street.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,250 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 03, 2017 20:33 |  #5

There are many different methods and it's really up to you as to which method you like. Have a look at this page (external link) for lots of info. Scroll down to the "The better DIY approach" for the easiest method requiring no $$.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Sep 03, 2017 22:46 |  #6

Which camera do you have? Some camera models provide this feature, others don't.

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 06, 2017 16:38 |  #7

I'm using the 5dmark ii. Thanks everybody! love this forum.

sponsored links

1,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
Micro adjust lenses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.