Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 02 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 21:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Making the transition from SLR to Compact ILC

illmatik53
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 02, 2017 21:50 |  #1

So any suggestions? Right now I'm looking at the Leica M9 used, but read about the corrosion issue. Now I'm a little hesitant.

Any alternatives to the M9 that are still compact, full-frame, HD video, and interchangeable lenses?

I'm looking to downsize without "down sizing" my gear if that make sense. lol

Any suggestions from those that have already made the change? Biggest obstacles to overcome? Most overlooked issue?

All serious advice is much appreciated!

EOS 5D MK3;16-35mm f/2.8 L; 24-70mm f/2.8 L; 85mm f/1.2 L; 70-200mm f/2.8 L; 580EX II;

flickr - http://www.flickr.com/​photos/marylandmatt/ (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,769 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 03, 2017 12:30 |  #2

Any of the Sony a7 cameras would fit what you're looking for.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 1 month ago by airfrogusmc.
Sep 03, 2017 16:06 |  #3

Get one with the replaced sensor or if you can spring it get an M 10. The M 10 is the finest 135 or crop format digital camera i have shot with period.
A review that I agree with most of what is said.

http://www.jaycassario​.com ...0-first-impression-review (external link)

It's great to be able to look down and see ISO, aperture and shutter speeds without having to turn on the camera or to go to a menu to see them. It's insanely good in low light and beyond responsive.

If you get an M9, MM or an M-E that has had the sensor replaced much of the circuitry will also have been replaced so it would be like getting a new camera.

alex66
182 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 04, 2017 17:14 |  #4

There are two choices either Leica or Sony, maybe soon a Nikon and a Canon but they are unknowns. Leica cost a lot for both lenses and bodies but if you like the way they produce images and the RF as a style of camera then there is no alternative. Sony gives you a lot of options in bodies and a reasonable choice of lenses, although there are 6 different A7's and the A9 it is easy to pair down what you need; High iso the S bodies, high resolution the R bodies in the middle the standards and the A9. Do you use a tripod or are not bothered about the body having stabilisation then the first ones can be had for a better price but the A7r2 has the best resolution, the A9 for speed of frame to frame shots if required. I got the first A7 and the 55mm, have not felt the need to update yet though considered both the A7r2 and going MF with the Hasselblad but am quite happy with the mk1.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

illmatik53
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 05, 2017 16:52 as a reply to EverydayGetaway's post |  #5

So I read about the A7's and was wondering how the focusing was with them? They seem to have fewer focusing modes/points/areas. Obviously manual is still manual, but in terms of using any of the modes, were there any noticeable drawbacks? Like how about taking pictures of your kids running around and what not, was tracking affected? I'm still doing research on sites, but to hear first hand would be great.

EOS 5D MK3;16-35mm f/2.8 L; 24-70mm f/2.8 L; 85mm f/1.2 L; 70-200mm f/2.8 L; 580EX II;

illmatik53
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 05, 2017 16:58 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #6

I would love an M10, but the price would cut out buying any lenses. lol. If only...

But thanks for the suggestion. Still debating because of cost. I place a little more value in lenses than the body, simply because the body is interchangeable and the lenses fit all the bodies to date so far. So staying in the M9 realm leaves me room to buy good glass. Granted the price of glass is even more exp, but I think maybe I can afford to get 2 lenses minimum.

Canon DSLR's are all I've ever known. The trinity lens setup and the 85 are all I've ever known. I've grown up using Canon and watched Canon grow starting from my old 10D to now. I'm all too familiar with the little upgrades that came with each update, i.e. added more focus points, bumped up fps, etc.

Changing cameras, especially to a compact style... well it's just terrifying. haha. The fear of making the change and then regretting it later is very real... especially with how much I have invested in all my gear over the years...

How have you all handled that change? I know it's not end of the world, but it's a huge change to commit to for me that's for sure.

illmatik53
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 05, 2017 17:04 as a reply to alex66's post |  #7

I do not regularly use a tripod anymore. Most of my shooting is hand held. I haven't put much into IS, none of my gear has it. I haven't really found the need for it, but I can't say it wouldn't help. I want to stay compact, but as I mentioned in an earlier reply, changing cameras is quite a huge step for me having grown up with Canon. Reading reviews online currently at cameradecision.com and it is driving me nuts. I see how different metering or focusing is gone, and of course how few full frame compacts there are, and it just seems scary to sell all that I'm familiar with and then end up with something that I may regret. Obviously there's nothing wrong with my gear other than it's big and I don't use it as much as I used to. The glass and body are in great shape, so quality is not an issue. Sometimes I worry that things I never worried about because of the gear I had, suddenly I may start worrying about because of the new gear that I have. If that makes any sense to you. One example was weather sealing. There's a lot of compact alternatives, but so few have actual weather sealing...an obvious feature I never had to worry about with my Canon's but now I do have to worry with compacts. So much to learn... I almost want to buy an even older Leica with a 28 or 35mm and try to enter that way. Bonus being that I'd be able to spend a lot less.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 1 month ago by airfrogusmc.
Sep 05, 2017 18:41 |  #8

If it were me I would get an M9 better yet M-E (replaced sensor) over any of the sony of fuji options.

illmatik53
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 05, 2017 19:48 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #9

You think an M8 would still fair well by comparison to the M9 and up? After being further educated by the lovely people of POTN, if I can save some money and get started with a Leica for less, it would be more appealing. I really would like an M9/M10 or better yet the M-P...But $$$ is a concern, hence why I'm going to be looking for older models if available.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 05, 2017 19:56 |  #10

illmatik53 wrote in post #18445492 (external link)
You think an M8 would still fair well by comparison to the M9 and up? After being further educated by the lovely people of POTN, if I can save some money and get started with a Leica for less, it would be more appealing. I really would like an M9/M10 or better yet the M-P...But $$$ is a concern, hence why I'm going to be looking for older models if available.

The M 8 is not FF. I think you can find a used M-E (make sure that the sensor had been replaced) for a good price now. I would take the M 262 over any of the M 240 models.

illmatik53
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 06, 2017 18:10 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #11

Ok, thanks a lot! I will do some digging and see what I can find...and more importantly what I can afford! lol.

sponsored links

517 views & 0 likes for this thread
Making the transition from SLR to Compact ILC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.