Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 07 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 13:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recommend me my new primary camera

brainiac.mg
29 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Sep 07, 2017 13:50 |  #1

I have 7DII, 135L, and poor old 24 70L :D I ordered 35 1.4L II, and new 85 1.4L IS, so time came to add new camera to my setup, I'll be keeping 7D2 for sports and action stuff. I'm searching for quality oriented FF body, and I'm looking into 3 5D series bodies (5DIII, 5DIV and 5Ds R), and new 6D2 :D I would like to have good ISO performance, but it's not that important :) I'm leaning towards 5Ds R, and 5DIV looks to expensive... Any suggestions?

Gear: Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 135 f/2.0L USM

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 07, 2017 15:38 |  #2

What kind of photography will you do with your new camera?

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Sep 07, 2017 17:17 |  #3

the 5D3 has a stop better iso performance than your 7D2 and will do almost everything a 5DIV or 6D2 does (no anti flicker, not quite as much buffer for fps, are off the top of my head) this is the pair I have right now, and other than some noise when lifting the shadows hard(when i under exposed, operator error) I can't complain about the 5D3 performance, other than fps/buffer compared to the 7D2.

If you have the latest greatest computer, and the need for those walloping large raw file sizes, then I guess anything is fine, but if you want to save some $ I'd go the 5D3 route.. with the understanding of it's limitations (that aren't much, for most shooting situations, particularly since you have the 7D2)

personally, I don't need or want such large raw files.. so I actually rule out the 5DIV and 5Ds for my needs.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,938 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed. 16 edits done in total.
Sep 07, 2017 19:47 as a reply to ksbal's post |  #4

You forgot a few points! :) I have 13 that I found to be notable, and I know I am missing a few others. Any one item may not be a huge thing, but when you take all of these together as a bundled deal, it is a pretty large step forward. I use most of these on just about every shoot.

- The 5D4 AF system is more surefooted and faster than the 5D3
- It can lock in lower light AF better
- f/8 AF on many, many more AF points
- High ISO is better as well, as is dealing with shadows at low ISOs
- 8Mpx more resolution for added benefits
- WiFi control and file transfers has actually been great
- The touchscreen is a godsend
- Better metering system
- USB 3.0 port for faster transfers
- New AWB setting that works very well over the old AWB setting
- The SD slot isn't handicapped speed-wise as the 5D3 was
- Flicker control and DPAF are the proverbial icing on the cake
- Cropped 4K video
- Fully working auto ISO in M mode with EC
- 1 extra FPS, whoopity do, but it is an improvement

The 5D3 is a great camera (I had one for a couple of years and shot NBA ball with one), but it won't do what the 5D4 can do, the 5D4 is just better all around. I wasn't sure about spending $2900 for the 5D4, but bit the bullet last year, and never regretted it since.

RE: File sizes: Greater resolutions means more versatility in a) detail rendering, b) noise handling, c) more cropping power, and d) more versatility in what can be cropped out, ie more choices depending on the content. Besides 22Mpx vs 30Mpx just doesn't tax the system all that much more. The CPU will run a bit harder and longer and the fans might kick in periodically, but that 8Mpx isn't going to cripple your system unless it is more than 5 years old.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,856 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Sep 07, 2017 19:52 |  #5

General features-wise, if keeping to Canon and not using in completely harsh conditions, the 5DIV would be my go to camera if I were looking to upgrade right now. All of the other bodies have some sort of compromise that'd just be not worth spending that sort of money, to me. My primary body is the 7DII, atm.

Only deviation from that would be if you're looking for something smaller and more portable; while sticking w/ Canon. Then it would be either the SL2/200D or one of the new M bodies; 200D would win over M, simply due to not having to use an adapter to keep using nice EF glass.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,938 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 07, 2017 19:54 |  #6

Snydremark wrote in post #18446969 (external link)
General features-wise, if keeping to Canon and not using in completely harsh conditions, the 5DIV would be my go to camera if I were looking to upgrade right now. All of the other bodies have some sort of compromise that'd just be not worth spending that sort of money, to me. My primary body is the 7DII, atm.

Only deviation from that would be if you're looking for something smaller and more portable; while sticking w/ Canon. Then it would be either the SL2/200D or one of the new M bodies; 200D would win over M, simply due to not having to use an adapter to keep using nice EF glass.

Great minds think alike. I have the 7D2 and 5D4, a perfect pair, and just added the SL2. Another great body for the collection. The only thing I could possibly consider buying in the future would be a mirrorless FF that could somehow use EF glass.

Interesting article from a wedding photog from a 5D3 to a 5D4: https://petapixel.com ...yes-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Sep 07, 2017 20:54 |  #7

I would get the 5D4

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 07, 2017 21:07 |  #8

brainiac.mg wrote in post #18446772 (external link)
I have 7DII, 135L, and poor old 24 70L :D I ordered 35 1.4L II, and new 85 1.4L IS, so time came to add new camera to my setup, I'll be keeping 7D2 for sports and action stuff. I'm searching for quality oriented FF body, and I'm looking into 3 5D series bodies (5DIII, 5DIV and 5Ds R), and new 6D2 :D I would like to have good ISO performance, but it's not that important :) I'm leaning towards 5Ds R, and 5DIV looks to expensive... Any suggestions?

Depends on what you're shooting and what you do with the data.

Newest sensor will generally always get a lot of attention; so 5DIV, and you'll pay dearly for it.

I'd say just get a used 6D and get used to shooting the new perspectives. See what you "need" from a body from there. If you can find a 5D3 for $1200 or so, I'd go that route over the 6D. The 5D3 would be a lot of camera and tide you over for a long time. The 5DSR, while also similar, gives you massive resolution. If you don't need that resolution, or don't know if you need it or not, you probably would be better off with the other options.

You can also consider a used 1DX.

You can also consider getting a full frame mirrorless Sony body and still using your current glass (with image stabilization from the sensor of the Sony).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

tdlavigne
295 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sep 08, 2017 04:19 |  #9

Depends on what and how you shoot.

If you NEED hi-res: 5DSr
If you want the best all around: 5DIV
If you're on a budget and just want a solid camera: 5DIII

Haven't really kept up with the 6DII, I just remember the early reports weren't glowing.

For my needs, I'd be satisfied with a 5DIV, ymmv

brainiac.mg
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Sep 08, 2017 04:37 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #10

I've considered used 1Dx, especially because I'm dreaming about 1D series body :D However, I don't know how it compares to 5DIV

Gear: Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 135 f/2.0L USM

sponsored links

579 views & 3 likes for this thread
Recommend me my new primary camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.