Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 01 Sep 2017 (Friday) 12:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mentoring photographers

aboudd
Joined Feb 2013
Arlington VA
Sep 01, 2017 12:52 |  #1

Hello everyone. Over the years I have taught classes and mentored photographers one-on-one. I decided to try what will be for me a grand experiment. I have set up a blog to review, critique and offer suggestions for photographers to up their game.

I have been a professional photographer, layout designer, writer and photo editor during my 35-year career. I bring all of those tools to this experiment. Now as you can imagine, I cannot possibly review everything sent to me, so I ask those interested to contact me at dweckphoto@gmail.com to be considered.

In case I forgot to mention it - there is no charge for my time.

Go to: http://fotocritique.bl​ogspot.com (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,929 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been last edited 18 days ago by Bassat. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 01, 2017 14:20 |  #2

I think this is a great idea. Short of taking a class (community college/on-line) there isn't much of this kind of stuff available. Your offering up of yourself to the craft is very generous. I am sure you have a lot to offer those who would seek your services. One thing I really liked was that only select photos will be reviewed. This implies that you will critique photos that show promise, but don't quite attain all that is possible. That is a good and valid decision, especially considering you are doing this at no charge.

That said, please allow me to react to your linked reference. Please forgive me if you find this to be nit-picking. It is one person's reaction, nothing more.

The first thing that popped into my head was that while you refer to yourself as a professional, your website belies (rightly or wrongly) that fact. The name of the site seems gimmicky to me. I read 'fotocritique' as trying just a bit too hard. I suggest that 'photocritique' is a bit more standard. 'Professional' implies that your product can stand on its own merits. The gimmicky 'foto' just seems inappropriate.

Since you present yourself as a 'professional', I expect your site to reflect that. I make no comment about your photographic skills, but your website presents a less than professional face to the world. It contains spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors. Have a proof reader make sure your site presents itself in the best light. I once called a professional handyman for some work on my home. He showed up at the appointed time for my free estimate, in dirty clothes he had worked all day in, smelling of sweat and tobacco smoke, with a lit cigarette in his hand. I dismissed him out of hand as not the professional I was looking for. His presentation did not match his claim. I'm not saying you stink, just that your presentation does not match your claim.

Lastly, my thoughts on the specific offerings on the page. I think your offering is narrow, photographically. This may be intentional, and aimed at a specific type of photograph/photographe​r. It is your site, and you are offering your time. Therefore, limiting the service you offer is quite within reason. I am sure you know this, but there are myriad ways to deploy a camera. The text on your site seems to imply that yours is the only valid way of taking photos. I read the presentation as: shooting a lot of frames is poor technique & chimping is always bad. While both are true in some circumstances, both are certainly valid methods of getting either the shot you want, or of learning how your camera settings affect the outcome of releasing the shutter. I have used high-speed burst mode on a 1DIV to come home from a football game with well over 1,000 photos. The 5 or 10 spectacular ones (on a good day) I get are worth the time and effort. There is no better way to learn DOF control, and the effects of different settings than: take photo, look at photo, adjust settings, repeat. If I send a photo, and you decide to critique it, how will you have any idea whether or not I was 'spraying and praying' or chimping every shot? You can't possibly know, so why does it matter?

Thanks again, from the entire photographic community, for offering your services. Good luck with your efforts. Helping others is one of life's greatest rewards. Best of luck in turning this into exactly what you want it to be.

Tom

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 01, 2017 22:35 |  #3

You would, I think, leap far ahead with the help of two or three of your former students, presenting before and after shots and how they improved their work.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

davesrose
Goldmember
2,705 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 01, 2017 23:38 |  #4

The blog just looks like a typical blog: where's the intent? Only the header says this is a space for aspiring photographers to submit work, and there's one blog entry. It's not going over fundamentals of photography. You'll have to forgive me for more technical critique (being involved with web design and development): your blog also looks very form driven and not inviting for a user experience. It also is completely different from your gallery site: for a brand identity, it should be all encompassing. If your goal is to tap into the internet market at large: then look at Tony Northrup's approach (he has a good model of having educational books, reviews, and web videos that all promote his brand). Your bio on the right emphasizes portraiture, but it's not in your gallery site. What's your ultimate goal? Are you hoping to attract local photographers to take workshops/ more one on one mentoring?

I used to do some 1 on 1 teaching through wyzant...I found it rewarding as far as seeing that person advance in understanding about camera settings/ exposure/ post processing, and it's all at the local level. It wasn't enough to make a lot of money with, but was rewarding in other ways.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

aboudd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Arlington VA
Sep 07, 2017 16:56 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #5

I see this is a nit-picking forum after all ;-)a

Photocritique was not available. I did not say chimping is always bad, I admitted that I do it myself sometimes. I also did not say many frames should not be shot when appropriate. I quote from my posting - " I am not saying they should limit the amount of shots they take if they have zeroed in on the subject, getting the good shot is the goal after all."

There are posting since the announcement of the blog with examples of photographers work and the critique that follow.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 07, 2017 17:09 |  #6

aboudd wrote in post #18446880 (external link)
I see this is a nit-picking forum after all ;-)a

My post was not intended to hurt your feelings. I simply jumped to the unwarranted conclusion that you were seeking consultation. Upon rereading it is clear you are not looking for help but soliciting students. Best wishes on your worthy endeavor.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

aboudd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Arlington VA
Post has been edited 12 days ago by aboudd.
Sep 07, 2017 17:13 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #7

First of all, I am not looking to make any money doing this, I do that with my assignment work and print sales as I have for 35 years. I change the content of my professional site a few times a year. My assignments do not often include portraits as my work is primarily architecture, food, aerial and tourism photos.

As to the intent of the blog - now that there are new postings it should be evident. I am not looking to teach basic technique, I am hoping the photographers that ask for my help know how to use their gear. To the extent advanced technique will help their craft, I will teach what I know well.

aboudd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Arlington VA
Sep 07, 2017 17:17 as a reply to AZGeorge's post |  #8

Hi George, my feelings weren't hurt and I was not offended at all by your posting. Yes, I was simply offering my help. I've consulted with a couple of people the past few days and they felt my feedback was helpful. If I help someone do a better job and enjoy their work more as a result of it, I'm satisfied.

sponsored links

623 views & 2 likes for this thread
Mentoring photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.