Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 08 Sep 2017 (Friday) 03:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A7II tracking with Canon lenses

Engineered_Reflex
Joined Apr 2014
Sep 08, 2017 03:44 |  #1

Hi all

I have a 5DIV which I love, but I need a second body to save me changing lenses so much at Air shows. In this scenario my primary lens is a Sigma 150-600, but I'll often need to use my 70-200 F4 is at very short notice when aircraft taxy past on the ground. The other situation where I need to use both lenses is at arrivals/departure says when there is a mix of very large and very small aircraft taking off alternately.

I was going to buy a 6DII for this purpose, but the thought of having a smaller body which I could also make use of with my children or on holiday is quite appealing. I realise that the Sony 70-200 is also a great lens, but I would prefer to keep the Canon because I love it and I would have the flexibility of putting it on the 5DIV.

My question is, will the A7II with a decent adapter and the latest firmware cope well with tracking aircraft taking off? I wouldn't try to track a fast jet display with this system, but I couldn't handle it being very hit and miss on the relatively easy stuff.

Sorry to be so long winded! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kit list: Canon 5D mkIV & 7D mkII, EF 24-70L F4 IS, EF 70-200 F4 is, EF-S 10-18 STM, EF 35mm IS USM, EF 50 f1.8 STM & Sigma 150-600 C
http://www.aviationinc​amera.com (external link)

buy2ls
524 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Long Island, NY
Oct 18, 2017 17:59 |  #2

I used the Sigma MC-11 and their 150-600 with my A7 MKII, It was unusable at the Jones beach air show. My A6000 saved the day. Bought a 7D MKII and Canon 100-400 for air shows and Motorsports

http://jeffbolletphoto​graphy.com/external link
7D & Sony NEX-7, EF-S 17-55 F2.8, EF-S 10-22, 70-200 L F4 IS, 85mm 1.8, 430 EX II and Lovin my Canon 7D and Canon lenses

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 20, 2017 11:43 |  #3

buy2ls wrote in post #18475608 (external link)
I used the Sigma MC-11 and their 150-600 with my A7 MKII, It was unusable at the Jones beach air show. My A6000 saved the day. Bought a 7D MKII and Canon 100-400 for air shows and Motorsports

I was eyeing the Sony Mk ii also. But even aside from "tracking", there's ample videos on youtube detailing the unreliability of Canon lenses on Sony using adapters.

Just until a couple weeks ago, I hadn't even looked at the Canon M-1, and when I learned about it's good-at-many-things benefits and how it tracks, it seemed pointless to go with Sony's unreliability with adapted Canon glass. If Canon leaped this far with it's M-1, obviously even better will appear in the next year or two. So it seems risky for me to think of ditching all my Canon glass to start from scratch.

If you switch, you may be better to ditch half or more of your Canon glass and just rebuild your entourage.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

812 views & 2 likes for this thread
Sony A7II tracking with Canon lenses
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.