Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 08 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can anyone tell me what kind of car this is?

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Roy A. Rust.
Sep 08, 2017 11:50 |  #1

I saw this car in Poland, in 1977, and thought it was interesting, so I took a picture of it... but I didn't think to find out what kind of car it is. Can anyone identify it?

Of course, the camera listed isn't what I used. I used a Nikon F, with a 50mm lens.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 08, 2017 12:09 |  #2

It's not a Citroen?

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,457 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Chet.
Sep 08, 2017 12:19 |  #3

Citroën Traction Avant

https://en.wikipedia.o​rg ...tro%C3%ABn_Traction​_Avant (external link)

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Roy A. Rust.
Sep 08, 2017 12:27 |  #4

Thank you! I had NO idea. Just thought it looked 'cool.'

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Sep 17, 2017 10:20 |  #5

Maybe it's my imagination, but are those bullet holes in the building at the far left?
During WWII there was heavy fighting in Poland. Just curious.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Oct 03, 2017 23:52 |  #6

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18454159 (external link)
Maybe it's my imagination, but are those bullet holes in the building at the far left?
During WWII there was heavy fighting in Poland. Just curious.

Might be.... I didn't notice them when I was there... at least I don't remember paying any attention to the building. I was checking out the car. Lots of buildings all over the world still show damage inflicted by warfare, and cemeteries are filled with evidence of the damage.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Colin Glover.
Oct 05, 2017 11:12 |  #7

Little bit large for a rifle. Maybe a machine gun like a Spandau. Or small cannon or large calibre machine gun from aircraft fire would be that size, and would account for it being on the upper floors only.Big Al07 would know. He's an airshow enthusiast.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by TustinMike. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 05, 2017 11:31 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #8

It would probably not be surprising that in the '70s there were still buildings with evidence of wartime damage. I remember as a kid seeing this even in prosperous West Germany (though with the particular thing I'm remembering - a building with an exposed façade from bombing), pretty sure it was left intentionally, as a monument / reminder.

Anyway, great old photo !

All New Year, All New Sig !

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Post has been edited 7 days ago by BigAl007 with reason 'Added link'.
Oct 11, 2017 12:31 |  #9

Colin Glover wrote in post #18466545 (external link)
Little bit large for a rifle. Maybe a machine gun like a Spandau. Or small cannon or large calibre machine gun from aircraft fire would be that size, and would account for it being on the upper floors only.Big Al07 would know. He's an airshow enthusiast.

And a shooter of guns too! You can get surprisingly large holes in stone and brick even from the normal approx .30" caliber bullets used by most of the rifles of the time. The Russian army also has a very similar machinegun, a 12.5mm, to the Browning M2 fifty caliber that was also used in much the same way. Not knowing what city it is it is hard to say, but Warsaw certainly suffered much fighting, both in the early part of the war, as well as towards the end in 44/45. The Warsaw uprising was particularly hard fought by the Polish Resistance.

I never visited the Warsaw pact countries as a child, but did visit West Germany several times between 70 and 74, and although there were a few places where you could still see some signs of the war if you looked, there didn't seem to be much evidence. Much like in London, yes you can find odd places that still show signs of the blitz, mostly the visible stuff was gone by the early 70's. Usually the most obvious signs of the bombing would be a terrace with a house missing from the end, or even a gap. Personally only having been born in 64 I'm too young to remember too much about it.

I only remember looking for the signs of the war when we went on holiday touring europe by car, because even at that age I had an interest in aviation and old aircraft. My dad was a very keen RC aircraft modeler, and the flying club used the old perimeter track of RAF Hornchurch as the runway, and one of the E pen dispersals as a carpark. Add in a couple of pillboxes too, and it was a great place for a young kid to play. The last bit of the airfield near where we used to fly is now a "country park" and all signs of the airfield have now gone. They used the site for gravel extraction in the late 60's and early 70's, which destroyed almost everything, then built a housing estate on most of it. About 25 years ago there was I think a BBC archeology program called Two men in a trench, with the Scottish historian with the long hair. They dug old battlefield sites, and one place they dug was the country park bit that was RAF Hornchurch, looking for the E pen I played in as a kid! And here's a link to the program on Youtube. (external link)

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,072 views & 1 like for this thread
Can anyone tell me what kind of car this is?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.