Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 13:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Unusual request

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,691 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Sep 07, 2017 13:11 |  #1

Advancing years has mostly left me home bound and watching movie channels is my main pass time.
Boredom got me thinking about something very tacky...what's wrong with taking pictures of screenshots for personal use?

There are a few great screens shots in the newer 4-K movies, like "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Anyone have additional suggestions?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43external link

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
52,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 07, 2017 13:15 |  #2

Time to dive into macro studio stuff. There are a lot of things at home that make great macro subjects.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,678 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 07, 2017 13:30 |  #3

Set up a home studio and have others come to you! :)

Create some photography blogs, or youtube videos, to create additional revenue streams maybe?

Becoming home bound really changes priorities I am sure. :(

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,691 posts
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Sep 07, 2017 16:17 |  #4

I wanted suggestions as to what movies have great scenery.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,805 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 07, 2017 16:45 as a reply to chauncey's post |  #5

Supposedly The Revenant is good for scenery. I haven't seen it myself.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,691 posts
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Sep 08, 2017 05:25 |  #6

C'mon guys, help out an old man.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 08, 2017 06:34 as a reply to chauncey's post |  #7

You may have already seen this, but take a look.

http://www.imdb.com/li​st/ls051744261/ (external link)

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

Sibil
Goldmember
4,756 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Sep 08, 2017 06:50 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #18446871 (external link)
Supposedly The Revenant is good for scenery. I haven't seen it myself.

I couldn't agree more. The scenery is fantastic.

Lots of gear, with lagging skills

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,708 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 08, 2017 09:01 |  #9

In no particular order (just what comes to my mind)

The Revenant
127 Hours
What Dreams May Come
Oblivion
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Into the Wild
The Fall
Interstellar
The Beach

I think The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is probably my favorite on this list though just for scenery and cinematography. It's a bit of a silly movie at times, but it's a total love letter to photography and the sense of adventure.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 08, 2017 13:31 |  #10

chauncey wrote in post #18446741 (external link)
Advancing years has mostly left me home bound and watching movie channels is my main pass time.
Boredom got me thinking about something very tacky...what's wrong with taking pictures of screenshots for personal use?...

I have to agree that taking shots of stuff on TV screens is rather tacky, and personally I would have no interest in starting a "macro studio". But unless you live in a basement with just a grating to let in light, you must have at least some windows with a view of the outside world - no? Whether you look out onto city streets or a garden or open country, there's always something going on - life large or small - that can challenge a photographer to make an interesting photo.

This is from someone who's been housebound himself due to illness not long ago - and is maybe even older than you.;-)a

chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,691 posts
Joined Jun 2007
MI/CO
Sep 08, 2017 17:29 |  #11

Should be able to find something within those suggestions...thanks.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 08, 2017 18:09 |  #12

Advancing years has mostly left me home bound . . . . suggestions?

Looking ahead a few years my advice for self is:

Unless your home is bursting with people and energy my best suggestion is to do what's needed to get out as much as possible and move as close to some kind of action as possible.

If we can't walk sixty miles maybe we can walk next door. If we can no longer swing the kayak onto the car we can't drive anymore, we can Uber to the shore. If it has come to the point of a wheelchair maybe we can wheel into the local elementary school or the local bar room or supper club or club meeting or or or or or

Years ago, back when she was only in her mid eighties, I spent some time with the amazing Maggie Kuhn doing a feature story. Her best quote was removed in edit and never saw print.

"Get old!" she said. "Get so old you can raise hell, do what you damn well please, rinse and repeat with no worries and the world will be a better place when you one day happen to die."

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

aezoss
Joined Nov 2013
Sep 08, 2017 18:12 |  #13

Boredom got me thinking about something very tacky...what's wrong with taking pictures of screenshots for personal use?

Interesting. This could be good avenue to develop post processing skills.

I enjoy cinematic landscape videos which evoke a sense of first person flight. Not a fan of drone movement and the rapid cuts most producers insist on using but there are some decent work out there. My preference is anything shot from a plane. The longer the uninterrupted segment the better. Fighter compilations can be interesting, esp jets tearing up the Mach Loop in Wales.

Wolfe Air has produced a nice reel with beautiful landscapes (skip to 0:35)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=t9rqkE70NTY (external link)

Search for 4k or 8k drone footage from Iceland, Norway, the Caribbean, etc. Phenomenal vistas. Just a matter of finding a video that works for you.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=RcIIJIYT7pw (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Jbh6zrRgTiM (external link)

If you prefer movies, my picks are

Prometheus
Mad Max Fury Road
Contact
Twister
Armageddon
Deep Impact
All 8 Harry Potter films

None of these have extended landscape sequences but do contain several worthwhile frames if you have the patience to look for them.

Lee

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Sep 08, 2017 18:22 |  #14

AZGeorge wrote in post #18447642 (external link)
Looking ahead a few years my advice for self is:

Unless your home is bursting with people and energy my best suggestion is to do what's needed to get out as much as possible and move as close to some kind of action as possible.

If we can't walk sixty miles maybe we can walk next door. If we can no longer swing the kayak onto the car we can't drive anymore, we can Uber to the shore. If it has come to the point of a wheelchair maybe we can wheel into the local elementary school or the local bar room or supper club or club meeting or or or or or

Years ago, back when she was only in her mid eighties, I spent some time with the amazing Maggie Kuhn doing a feature story. Her best quote was removed in edit and never saw print.

"Get old!" she said. "Get so old you can raise hell, do what you damn well please, rinse and repeat with no worries and the world will be a better place when you one day happen to die."

Damned good advice.

A macro lens and a flower garden and a few trees will keep one busy for hours every day! I used to do this every day during my lunch breaks when I lived in Missouri, USA. Great time and learned a lot with just a Canon Xti and EF-S 60 f/2.8 Macro USM lens at the time.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,805 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 08, 2017 18:37 |  #15

Another source of landscapes is nature documentaries. Make friends with David Attenborough.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

654 views & 9 likes for this thread
Unusual request
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.