Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 22 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 15:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

buying used pro gear

tdlavigne
305 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Aug 28, 2017 03:01 |  #16

I prefer to buy used gear in person, usually through craigslist. In fact, I buy approx. 90%+ of my gear used. In person you get to thoroughly inspect it before committing. Just ordered my first used lens through Amazon yesterday, so I'll see how that goes as well. The pricing on there is still ~10% more than what I've seen on Craigslist though.

sponsored links
Eric ­ Hopp
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Sep 09, 2017 11:19 |  #17

I've purchased all my photo gear used, except for two new lenses--a Canon 50mm f1.8, and 24mm pancake lens. I have purchased my gear from Amazon, my local camera shop, and a couple of items through Craig's List. For Amazon purchases, I will look at "Like New," or "Very Good" quality equipment, from reputable dealers with 90 percent plus positive ratings. I do not purchase cameras or lenses from "Just Launched" sellers, as I am not sure I can trust the quality of the products they are selling. I know with the reputable dealers, I should get a good product at a good price. For my local camera shop and Craig's List purchases, I look hard and carefully at the quality, fit, and finish of the product I plan to buy. I will ask questions of the seller as to why they are selling the product, where the product came from, shutter count on cameras, how long they have had the product--whatever history you can get of the product. If something does not look right on the product, then do not purchase it.

There is a lot of good quality photo gear out there, at reduced prices than the new gear would cost. You just have to be careful, do your homework, and be patient on what and when you want to buy.

gjc174
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Irvine, CA
Oct 11, 2017 14:29 |  #18

Some sources I worked with:

FM - There's a bit of blind trust dealing with people there, but I've had nothing but an excellent experience buying from other owners, regardless if it's an old $20 film camera lens, or a $2500 DSLR. The people selling there tend to know their stuff and take the time to describe the condition of the item and any issues it has or had, if any. Prices are reasonable and even great. Used items generally don't have a warranty anymore (if originally bought more than a year ago), but cameras and lenses tend to be reliable enough that it really doesn't matter to me. Still requires exercising some common sense though as the site is the target of scams from time to time. If the deal sounds too good to be true or the method of payment / shipping sounds fishy, give it a pass.

Craigslist - Great that you can check out the item yourself, but I'd recommend it only if you really know what to look for. Most things will be priced higher than it's worth so you'll have to go through the hassle of negotiating the price. Then there's dealing with non-communicative sellers, scheduling where to meet, maybe driving out 30 minutes to meet somebody, waiting 30 minutes because the seller is late / delayed, etc.

eBay - Much riskier. You'll need to know how to check, or guess, the condition of the camera through pictures and the item description, which are usually lacking. Sometimes, problems are intentionally hidden or you'll have to read between the lines on how it's described. Not too bad if the seller offers a return period, but more often than not sellers do not accept returns. Even then I've had success forcing through returns simply because it's completely different than how it was described (like, not working at all). Ebay's buyer protection has worked pretty well for me. On the positive side, I've gotten some really great deals from there though.

Some sellers on eBay also has some great deals on brand new stuff, but they tend to be import / grey market models whose warranty may not be honored in the US.

Canon refurbished - Cheaper than retail, and essentially brand new. At least a one-month warranty, but many refurbished cameras come with up to a 1-year limited warranty. Won't come with a retail box, which strangely I sort of care about. Sales tax and shipping will also eat into any savings you may be getting.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,740 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Oct 11, 2017 18:33 as a reply to gjc174's post |  #19

refurbished lenses also come with a 1 year warranty

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,591 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Oct 12, 2017 09:16 |  #20

"Canon refurbished - Cheaper than retail, and essentially brand new. At least a one-month warranty, but many refurbished cameras come with up to a 1-year limited warranty. Won't come with a retail box, which strangely I sort of care about. Sales tax and shipping will also eat into any savings you may be getting."

Buying a Canon Factory Refurbished item from Adorama will often be less expensive than buying the item directly from Canon because Adorama will usually provide free shipping and, unless you live in New York State, no tax is involved.

Canon, does often have sales on refurb items which can result in a good price. I buy almost all of my items refurbished or used and have never regretted those decisions...

Note: my last NEW Canon camera was a Canon 10D many-many years ago. Since then, I have purchased a 30D and a 40D as well as two 7D cameras and a 7D2; all refurbished and a 5D2 used...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kf095.
Oct 13, 2017 21:49 |  #21

IMO. Used Pro gear is best purchased from Pros who posts on something like Kijiji.
You'll see the difference from trash trying to look like a pro and real pro right away.

My first FF DSLR was purchased like this and it was guy on the next street with his own studio. My daughter purchased from local classifieds from the real pro years later. In both cases Canon Canada Service cheques were provided.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,741 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 14, 2017 17:08 |  #22

Most (well nearly all) of the "Pro" cameras and lenses that I have bought have been sourced from E Bay. A mix of new and used but I simply could never have had my current setup without E Bay.

Strangely most of my Gitzo support was bought from a high street shop because they were cheaper?!?

Just search far and wide there are bargains to be had - but, naturally, be cautious.

Happy hunting!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 14, 2017 18:34 |  #23

kf095 wrote in post #18472241 (external link)
IMO. Used Pro gear is best purchased from Pros who posts on something like Kijiji.

My first FF DSLR was purchased like this and it was guy on the next street with his own studio. My daughter purchased from local classifieds from the real pro years later.

I have always heard, and thought it was common knowledge, that the worst people to buy camera gear from are pros. . Pros use their gear a lot, and most use it very hard. . Meanwhile, most hobbyists use their camera gear sparingly, and they baby it and have service done at much more frequent intervals than pros do.

Why would one want to buy camera gear from a pro when one can buy the same gear, usually in much better condition, from a hobbyist?

Again, I thought this was something that everybody already knew, but your post seems to run counter to common knowledge. . Perhaps you have some angle, or insight, that you would care to share with us?

kf095 wrote in post #18472241 (external link)
IMO.
You'll see the difference from trash trying to look like a pro and real pro right away.

I can't figure out what you mean with this statement. . Either a camera model is a pro model or it isn't. What camera models "try to look pro", but aren't? . Any explanation would be appreciated, as I would like to understand what it is that you are saying.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,541 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 14, 2017 18:44 |  #24

I am with Tom. Has anyone seen superteles sold my pros, I wouldn't touch them. I prefer buying here for Canon. Then FM and Fuji forums. Canon refurb is also very nice option, just have to wait when they have 15% sale.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kf095. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 14, 2017 19:33 |  #25

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18472751 (external link)
I have always heard, and thought it was common knowledge, that the worst people to buy camera gear from are pros. . Pros use their gear a lot, and most use it very hard. . Meanwhile, most hobbyists use their camera gear sparingly, and they baby it and have service done at much more frequent intervals than pros do.

Why would one want to buy camera gear from a pro when one can buy the same gear, usually in much better condition, from a hobbyist?

Again, I thought this was something that everybody already knew, but your post seems to run counter to common knowledge. . Perhaps you have some angle, or insight, that you would care to share with us?

I can't figure out what you mean with this statement. . Either a camera model is a pro model or it isn't. What camera models "try to look pro", but aren't? . Any explanation would be appreciated, as I would like to understand what it is that you are saying.

Whatever blows your way...

I purchased clean, used 5Dc from the pro on the next street. It was as backup to his two 1DSometing. Clean, LNIB and with Canon service bill. I used it a lot, and sold it at the price something like 150$ per year I owned it.
My daughter is paid photographer. She purchased 5DMKII from the pro locally. The shutter was replaced due to high volume he made with it, but camera is clean and flawless.

Where are camera thrashers from old and new time... Old time pro would just toss it in the bag with the rest of the gear, because they didn't owned it. Where are some new time "pro" like those.

Hobbyists are usually more greedy on the price. For real pro it is not big deal to sell it for less. Their time is their money.

So, it is up to you, live by stereotypes or...

I had barely used 5D MKII from one who is trying to looks like a pro. The camera was with problem. Would it be the real pro, camera would be fixed or returned quickly.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Oct 15, 2017 00:35 |  #26

kf095 wrote in post #18472782 (external link)
Whatever blows your way...

I purchased clean, used 5Dc from the pro on the next street. It was as backup to his two 1DSometing. Clean, LNIB and with Canon service bill. I used it a lot, and sold it at the price something like 150$ per year I owned it.
My daughter is paid photographer. She purchased 5DMKII from the pro locally. The shutter was replaced due to high volume he made with it, but camera is clean and flawless.

Where are camera thrashers from old and new time... Old time pro would just toss it in the bag with the rest of the gear, because they didn't owned it. Where are some new time "pro" like those.

Hobbyists are usually more greedy on the price. For real pro it is not big deal to sell it for less. Their time is their money.

So, it is up to you, live by stereotypes or...

I had barely used 5D MKII from one who is trying to looks like a pro. The camera was with problem. Would it be the real pro, camera would be fixed or returned quickly.

What you're describing doesn't make a lot of sense... those same scenarios could happen with literally anyone, being a "pro" or "amateur" has nothing to do with it.

I've bought gear from both pros and amateurs, the important thing is knowing the reputation of the seller and whether or not you can believe their description of the camera/lens. Every piece of gear I've bought has been exactly as it was described, or sometimes even better than described. I've also had plenty of amateurs willing to haggle on prices no problem and had pros deny me of my offers.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 15, 2017 02:49 |  #27

I tend to buy new or refurbished lenses.. mostly new.

All three of my camera bodies are used. Both 1D IVs were purchased on eBay. Both were exactly as they were described and matched the photographs for outward appearance. The only problem I had was the pro shop on the last one was very upset that I asked him to ship it to my nearest FedEx store instead of home delivery because FedEx and UPS show up late in the afternoon when no one is home. I have to wait until they try to delivery it 3 times before they'll hold it for me if it isn't sent that way from the beginning. That really bugged him for some reason..... didn't even leave me a positive feedback. LOL

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Oct 15, 2017 13:01 |  #28

how are the reviews on KEH.com? they seem to have reasonable prices, including older lenses which most likey arent in fashion but seem good to start with?

gjc174
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Irvine, CA
Oct 16, 2017 10:29 as a reply to drjitesh's post |  #29

I like Keh a lot! They are one of the biggest sources of used lenses. Their grading for lenses are very reliable and they have excellent customer service, which includes no-hassle returns which I used a few times. It also helps that they provide a warranty as well, though I think it's only 180-days.

They used to be an excellent source for old film cameras and film lenses (manual focus), but their stock for those things are much lower than now with many things I'm looking for being unavailable. I'd imagine their stock of modern cameras and lenses should be fine though.

If you are patient, it's also worth signing up for their newsletter and waiting for their sales, which can be up to 15% off.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Oct 16, 2017 11:57 |  #30

drjitesh wrote in post #18473246 (external link)
how are the reviews on KEH.com? they seem to have reasonable prices, including older lenses which most likey arent in fashion but seem good to start with?

KEH is excellent. Their rating system is very reserved. If it says EX or EX+, you will be hard pressed to tell it from brand new. If you buy something from them, it will be better than described, and if it is not working, it will be refunded no question. And their stuff has a 180 warranty. 6 months basically, on any old used stuff that is discontinued and can't have a warranty, etc, is awesome compared to absolutely nothing with buying used from elsewhere, where you cannot even return it. KEH lets you return & gives you that warranty. Really great.

They are not the cheapest used prices around. Generally to get competitive you have to wait and watch their coupons (10% and 15% here and there) that drops something you want to a more competitive price range. Sure you can snipe something cheaper on ebay, or maybe on FM or POTN classifieds, but that extra you pay goes into that 180 day warranty and ability to return & refund.

I've bought lots of bodies and lenses from them.

My favorite buy from KEH was an "UG" (ugly) quality 300 F4L IS that I got without caps for cheap, and had a coupon, so under $500 out the door. The thing is easily a 7/10 cosmetically in reality and works perfect. They are just so reserved with their ratings I find.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

sponsored links

2,136 views & 18 likes for this thread
buying used pro gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.