Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 08 Sep 2017 (Friday) 19:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wide Angle Zoom Recommendations

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,597 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 10, 2017 12:45 |  #31

Here is a DropBox link to my 11-20 vs 17-40 comparison files. Raw and DPP direct JPG conversions available. Please keep in mind these were shot N(0,1,1,0) and converted to JPG with NO processing.

https://www.dropbox.co​m ...9Mgcf7gnNYUgs6vLlZ-a?dl=0 (external link)

Tom

sponsored links
CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
*** vanished ***
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CheshireCat.
Sep 10, 2017 12:51 as a reply to post 18448620 |  #32

Indeed, "wide" - exactly like "high" - are relative terms until their use is regulated by [de-facto] standards.
I remember when "high resolution" was 640x480 :)

It is also interesting how marketing is fighting against this "relativity" when technology improves.
Voigtlaender now uses "hyper wide" for its 10mm lenses.

For video, the term "high definition" (HD) was initially used for 720p but then re-used for 1080p video confusing customers to the point that the latter was renamed "full high definition". Then came "ultra high definition" for 4K video (which is actually 2160p, and slightly less wide than the cinema "DCI 4K"). Finally we have "8K ultra high definition" which is actually 4320p, and the "ultra" was re-used probably because they were not aware of any better latin/greek adjective.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

Bassat
6,597 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Bassat.
Sep 10, 2017 12:57 |  #33

I agree with CheshireCat. Pong was really cool - until high-res stuff like Space Invaders came out.

Any reference I use to WA UWA or SDRCUUWA! has to be based on how I use my hardware. If I called a 17-40 WA, what would I call my 12-24? If the 11-20 is roughly the same FOV as the 17-40, shouldn't it carry the same designation as the 17-40. And that is not UWA where I come from.

Some POTN member has stated that the 600 f/4II is her most used lens. Does she refer to the 100-400 as an UW Zoom? Perspective matters.

Tom

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
*** vanished ***
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CheshireCat.
Sep 10, 2017 13:01 |  #34

Bassat wrote in post #18448665 (external link)
Some POTN member has stated that the 600 f/4II is her most used lens. Does she refer to the 100-400 as an UW Zoom? Perspective matters.

Or maybe she refers to the 600 as an UN (Ultra Narrow) prime :p

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

Bassat
6,597 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Bassat.
Sep 10, 2017 15:42 |  #35

CheshireCat wrote in post #18448668 (external link)
Or maybe she refers to the 600 as an UN (Ultra Narrow) prime :p

Which begs the questions:

Why do we call short lenses wide, but long ones a telephoto? Should wide be proxiphoto (tele:far, proxi:near)? Or wide & narrow, as CC suggests. Or maybe the organic chemistry use of ortho/meta/para-photo? No wonder non-native English speakers struggle with this language. What a hodge-podge!

"Hey, that tank is getting cloudy. Did you kids over-feed the photi, again?"

Anyway, I have to go shoot some CA and flare examples with the 11-20. I will add them to the DropBox link, above.

EDIT:
Not adding them to DropBox. There is nothing to see. The worst of both is posted below.

Tom

Bassat
6,597 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 10, 2017 16:21 |  #36

Flare and CA. First one is the worst flare I could manage with the Tokina 11-20. I had to put the sun in the frame to get any flare at all. Second one is the worst CA I could generate. The is a bit of purple fringing to the right of the large white corner piece, and worse PF where the satellite dish legs are in front of the white trim. I generally don't pixel peep. I would never have found the CA if I weren't PP'ing.

I call CA a non-issue with this lens. It just doesn't flare with out the sun in the frame.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tom

sponsored links

3,898 views & 5 likes for this thread
Wide Angle Zoom Recommendations
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.