Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 09 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 14:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Feisol CT3442 Tournament Missing screw at the top

level5photog
147 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Sep 09, 2017 14:45 |  #1

I'm missing a screw on the top of the Feisol 3442 tripod to attach the ballhead. Anyone know the type of screw I should be buying to replace it?

https://www.flickr.com ...oyoung-family/8535169984/ (external link)

sponsored links
mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Sep 09, 2017 18:11 |  #2

I believe the standard for attaching tripod heads is 3/8 inch coarse thread. Try contacting the tripod manufacturer and see if they'll send you the missing part.

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

level5photog
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Sep 09, 2017 18:52 as a reply to mcoren's post |  #3

They want me to buy the entire plate. Although it's not expensive $22, I think the screw is standard part

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Sep 09, 2017 18:56 |  #4

It is just a 3/8 threaded bolt.

If you want to go cheap then just look for a suitable bolt on FleaBay - saves petrol/Gas!

Make sure you order a bolt that will protrude about 7/8 mm above the Top Plate and this should fit pretty much any head. Some heads will allow more - for example my Wimberley 2 allowed me to replace the 3/8 stud on one of my Gitzo Top Plates with one that has 18 mm of contact (11 mm more thread contact) that head is NOT shifting!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

level5photog
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Sep 09, 2017 21:18 as a reply to johnf3f's post |  #5

Thank you! I'll definitely check hardware store for it.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Sep 09, 2017 22:57 |  #6

Is it just a bolt? A Gitzo has a custom part, 3/8 thread protrudes as in your photo but below the plate it is a much larger threaded section that fits into the flat plate.

I just made a spacer for my tripod which required a 3/8 thread to mount a head. I checked my ball head and there is 27mm inside so I made it about 20mm of thread protruding

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

level5photog
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Nov 2015
Sep 10, 2017 11:53 as a reply to Choderboy's post |  #7

I got 3/8" x 1" and it works perfectly.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Sep 10, 2017 16:54 |  #8

Choderboy wrote in post #18448353 (external link)
Is it just a bolt? A Gitzo has a custom part, 3/8 thread protrudes as in your photo but below the plate it is a much larger threaded section that fits into the flat plate.

I just made a spacer for my tripod which required a 3/8 thread to mount a head. I checked my ball head and there is 27mm inside so I made it about 20mm of thread protruding

The "conversion" that I did was on a Gitzo Systematic Top Plate, so it's a very similar situation to the OP's Feisol. Were they normal tripods (with center columns) then just using a bolt would not work.

It appears (on friend's 3342 and 3442 Feisols) to just be a simple 3/8 thread through the plate. As the OP has the top plate without anything in the middle it will be very easy for them to confirm this.

" I checked my ball head and there is 27mm inside" WOW! I didn't realise that any ball head allowed that much thread contact area - I don't think your ball head is going anywhere in a hurry!:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

353 views & 2 likes for this thread
Feisol CT3442 Tournament Missing screw at the top
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.