Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 08 Sep 2017 (Friday) 20:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Show us those moon photos

Photodude84
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Photodude84. 6 edits done in total.
Sep 08, 2017 20:58 |  #1

This is my first photo of the moon. Please be nice. Not too harsh. Let me know what I need to do to get better!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,316 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 08, 2017 21:18 |  #2

Photodude84 wrote in post #18447717 (external link)
This is my first photo of the moon. Please be nice. Not too harsh. Let me know what I need to do to get better!
NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

The first step would be to stop using Photobucket for posting unless you pay for their most expensive grade of subscription.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Photodude84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 09, 2017 17:05 |  #3

OhLook wrote in post #18447731 (external link)
The first step would be to stop using Photobucket for posting unless you pay for their most expensive grade of subscription.

ok mrs know it all how do I upload or host my photos then?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 09, 2017 17:26 |  #4

Photodude84 wrote in post #18448223 (external link)
ok mrs know it all how do I upload or host my photos then?

Start by not calling someone a know it all on your second effing post.

Then, look at the screen you are presented when posting.

Welcome to the forum. Tighten up.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

dixiedawn
Joined Aug 2008
AZ
Sep 10, 2017 00:54 |  #5

You have a couple of different options to post photos to threads.

When you are creating a post, you will have a toolbox on the left side of your screen. One of the buttons says "Upload images" This will allow you to upload a photo from your computer directly to the forum. You will have to follow the restrictions on size, type, etc that are shown in the window after you click on that button. Forum rules limit you to 2 forum-hosted images per thread, I think.

Other, better option as far as I'm concerned, is to have your image hosted at another site like flickr. You can't use Photobucket anymore, unless you want to pay a lot of money for an account that will allow you to do so. Once it is on an image hosting site, you will need to use whatever procedure works for that site. For flickr, I just select the Share option (icon looks like a curved arrow), select the size I want in the dropdown menu (usually Large 1024 x XXX) under the BBCode tab, then just copy the text shown in the popup. Paste that into your text box here on the forum, and you're all good.

I haven't tried other hosting sites, nor have I tried to use the Embed Image in the toolbox at the left. Photobucket just doesn't work anymore for posting to forums. Even the link shown in your post under the warning image just takes you to the same warning image.

debbie

Photodude84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 10, 2017 13:50 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18448233 (external link)
Start by not calling someone a know it all on your second effing post.

Then, look at the screen you are presented when posting.

Welcome to the forum. Tighten up.

Thanks for the welcome. I was trying to be sarcastic.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. 8 edits done in total.
Sep 10, 2017 13:58 |  #7

Photodude84 wrote in post #18448695 (external link)

1) Being sarcastic is just another flavor of being rude, which isn't a good way to start out a reputation on a very nice board/community. In other words whether you were being outright rude, or sarcastic, neither are very nice. (sarcasm: a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark)

2) We have an official moon thread here, I suggest you add your contribution there. It will garner alot of discussion and tips you might find helpful.

http://photography-on-the.net ...php?t=803791&goto=n​ewpost

3) My first tip for you is to raise your shutter to at least 1/250th, or faster for that focal length. Don't be afraid to raise your ISO to give you that flexibility, ISO 800 with exposure pushed a bit to the right will help your moon shots. A tripod can help most folks too. I personally don't use a tripod, but I also have handholding techniques that are good up to over 2000mm that I have developed over the years. Also try using live view with the 5x zoom with manual focusing, you might be able to lock in crater detail better.

4) Welcome to POTN :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 10, 2017 18:11 |  #8

Photodude84 wrote in post #18448695 (external link)

Best advice here is not to direct sarcasm at another individual. Probably ever.

A little scarcastic humor in a self deprecating manner helps set the stage. But probably best to avoid it all together until you get to know the mood of a new forum and some of the people get to know you.

Image looks soft. That 300 mm zoom isn't known for being super sharp, but I think you should be able to get a little better with practice. Definitely consider a tripod, mirror lock up, live view 10x manual focus. Also helps to have the moon less full so the shadows on the craters are more pronounced. Get a good shot like that and use it as a baseline. Then you can judge for yourself if your handheld technique is working.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Photodude84
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Photodude84.
Sep 10, 2017 18:40 |  #9

I used a tripod and the timer. I also didn't realize there was already a thread for this. I do apologize.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 10, 2017 19:35 |  #10

Photodude84 wrote in post #18448897 (external link)
I used a tripod and the timer. I also didn't realize there was already a thread for this. I do apologize.

Mirror lock up and 10x manual focus?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,427 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 10, 2017 19:56 |  #11

I often shoot at 1600-2400mm handheld. The first steps are to raise the shutter speeds which means a higher ISO.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Scenic-Moments/i-bKCmtWd/0/01dcddaa/X3/216A8311-X3.jpg

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 10, 2017 20:33 |  #12

I am just trying to give dude a baseline.

I don't use a tripod for moon shots either, but I know what to expect from myself and my gear.

sponsored links

814 views & 11 likes for this thread
Show us those moon photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.