Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 04 Sep 2017 (Monday) 12:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Using a larger external screen to view photos at a shoot?

kat.hayes
133 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Sep 04, 2017 12:04 |  #1

I want to use a larger screen with my 5DM3, whether it is a phone attached to the hot shoe or a 9.7 inch ipad attached to a separate stand.

1. Any suggestions for blocking out ambient light when viewing the phone or iPad?
2. Do you find a separate screen useful? Is it best for focus? Other?
3. How do you adjust brightness so that it is not completely misleading when viewing it?

Thanks.

sponsored links
ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by ThreeHounds.
Sep 04, 2017 13:33 |  #2

I use an iPad Pro 9.7" and 12.9" in my studio via Camranger, and find it excellent for focusing and composing. really helps with focus stacking too. Clients get a good look at what I'm doing for approval as well.
I have used them for outdoor work, and have only had a couple occasions where the display was difficult to see. I imagine throwing a black cloth over your head and viewing under that would work, or maybe an umbrella.

I calibrated both with the ColorTrue app by Xrite and my i1 Display Pro monitor calibrator, and they are very reasonably close.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Sep 04, 2017 14:25 |  #3

Anther idea would be to use a 17 inch monitor to run a slideshow direct from camera. I picked up a 22 inch Samsung cheap for slideshows. Unless it is too big for your needs.

Canon ­ Amateur
Joined Aug 2010
The Netherlands
Sep 04, 2017 15:33 |  #4

Can Tethertools be of any help ?
https://www.tethertool​s.com/ (external link)

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

kat.hayes
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Sep 05, 2017 23:33 |  #5

ThreeHounds wrote in post #18444373 (external link)
I use an iPad Pro 9.7" and 12.9" in my studio via Camranger, and find it excellent for focusing and composing. really helps with focus stacking too. Clients get a good look at what I'm doing for approval as well.
I have used them for outdoor work, and have only had a couple occasions where the display was difficult to see. I imagine throwing a black cloth over your head and viewing under that would work, or maybe an umbrella.

I calibrated both with the ColorTrue app by Xrite and my i1 Display Pro monitor calibrator, and they are very reasonably close.

I didn't know an iPad could be color calibrated with a i1 Display Pro monitor calibrator; thanks for the tip! Do you sync .jpg files to the iPad or .CR2?

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Sep 06, 2017 00:18 as a reply to kat.hayes's post |  #6

Medium or High res jpgs. 26mb cr2s take way too long to transfer via wifi.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Temma
Joined Sep 2009
Rocky River, Ohio
Sep 11, 2017 06:09 |  #7

I made myself a sun shade for my Android tablet by cutting up an old plastic ring binder. It works well enough for what it cost me ($0.00).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,374 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 11, 2017 07:08 |  #8

Convert an MR3040 router to be a wireless device for your 5D3. Then put DSLRController on your tablet and control the camera, view images, etc from the tablet.

I have a spare I should probably sell for $25 or so, already flashed with the ROM needed for this. It is what the camranger does, but without the markup. I keep thinking I will need it, but at this point I haven't in a while.

https://petapixel.com ...sly-control-dslr-less-40/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

652 views & 4 likes for this thread
Using a larger external screen to view photos at a shoot?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.