Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 28 Jun 2016 (Tuesday) 14:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Max image size (upcoming AMASS 2.0 upload)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sep 10, 2017 13:48 |  #46

rrblint wrote in post #18448618 (external link)
Is any sharpening applied at present? I don't think so. Yes we definitely need this option.

I don't know, Mark. But seeing the options Pekka listed, I missed the "none" option. :)

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,265 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 10, 2017 14:20 as a reply to Levina de Ruijter's post |  #47

Hi Levina. Agreed, I don't think there is any now but you are correct: No "none" option for the new system.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Pekka. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 10, 2017 15:01 |  #48

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18448694 (external link)
I don't know, Mark. But seeing the options Pekka listed, I missed the "none" option. :)

Option "low" will work essentially as "none".

- all the sharpening processes are of highest quality USM. There are no halos or artifacts.

- Sharpening is needed to overcome the inevitable blur of the downsizing and return the look of to the original (which is why the "low" is not default method). "low" is pretty much equal to "restore" and not "sharpen". The downsizing before sharpening is also very high quality, but as seen here, some sharpening is required.

I did days of testing for different algorithms and I assure you that word "oversharpened" was not in my to do list.

I could have easily renamed "low" to "none" and keep quiet about it and nobody had noticed :). But I want to be clear of what is done there.

EDIT: and of course: sharpening is only applied on downsizing. If you upload a file equal or smaller than the "downsize to" setting, the file will not be passed though USM at all, unless you have set "apply always".

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Boise, Idaho
Sep 10, 2017 16:33 |  #49

Please excuse my being a bit slow on the uptake but is it correct that this change has not yet taken effect....that will come with AMASS v2.0....correct?

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Pekka.
Sep 10, 2017 16:37 |  #50

idsurfer wrote in post #18448828 (external link)
Please excuse my being a bit slow on the uptake but is it correct that this change has not yet taken effect....that will come with AMASS v2.0....correct?

Yes. Edited the title to make it clearer.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Levina de Ruijter. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 10, 2017 16:55 |  #51

Pekka wrote in post #18448757 (external link)

- all the sharpening processes are of highest quality USM. There are no halos or artifacts.

- Sharpening is needed to overcome the inevitable blur of the downsizing and return the look of to the original (which is why the "low" is not default method). "low" is pretty much equal to "restore" and not "sharpen". The downsizing before sharpening is also very high quality, but as seen here, some sharpening is required.

I did days of testing for different algorithms and I assure you that word "oversharpened" was not in my to do list.

I could have easily renamed "low" to "none" and keep quiet about it and nobody had noticed :). But I want to be clear of what is done there.

EDIT: and of course: sharpening is only applied on downsizing. If you upload a file equal or smaller than the "downsize to" setting, the file will not be passed though USM at all, unless you have set "apply always".

My concern comes from the fact that for my bird shots none of the out of focus areas are sharpened. And the bird only slightly and even then usually only in places. I worry about steel cables instead of feathers and I worry about increased noise, because even though I do run noise reduction on the out of focus areas I rarely do so on the bird. But fair enough, your explanation sounds good. Besides, if we go from 1280px to 1600px, most times I will be able to upload/embed exactly in that bigger size so there will be no need for any downsizing. Thanks!

Levina

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Sep 10, 2017 18:08 |  #52

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18448842 (external link)
My concern comes from the fact that for my bird shots none of the out of focus areas are sharpened. And the bird only slightly and even then usually only in places. I worry about steel cables instead of feathers and I worry about increased noise, because even though I do run noise reduction on the out of focus areas I rarely do so on the bird. But fair enough, your explanation sounds good. Besides, if we go from 1280px to 1600px, most times I will be able to upload/embed exactly in that bigger size so there will be no need for any downsizing. Thanks!

Post or PM me a link to some larger than 1600 original what you would upload and consider as "problem image" in regarding to sharpening quality, and I'll send you links to (or post links here if you let me) all 4 sharpened versions of it, both 1280 and 1600 size. I'll do that in couple of days, not right away.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,265 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 10, 2017 20:43 |  #53

Pekka wrote in post #18448757 (external link)

That sounds good. Thanks for the clarification Pekka.

Mark

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Levina de Ruijter. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 11, 2017 10:47 |  #54

Pekka wrote in post #18448878 (external link)
Post or PM me a link to some larger than 1600 original what you would upload and consider as "problem image" in regarding to sharpening quality, and I'll send you links to (or post links here if you let me) all 4 sharpened versions of it, both 1280 and 1600 size. I'll do that in couple of days, not right away.

Pekka, I just sent you a pm.

[EDIT: removed link to flickr as image is no longer there]

By the way, flickr is a nice example of how to not downsize images. The display size of my images at flickr is 1600px. So a 2048px is downsized but the sharpening they apply when downsizing is simply too much. The differences between flickr's 1600px display size and the same display size on my computer is very distinct.

Levina

sponsored links

3,060 views & 31 likes for this thread
Max image size (upcoming AMASS 2.0 upload)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.