Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 09 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 18:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Choice of flash for senior session downtown

digitalduck
579 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Fargo, ND
Sep 09, 2017 18:32 |  #1

Hi guys.

I have an upcoming senior photo session Sat downtown and even though it's just another portrait session, I wanted your opinion of modifier choice.

I will be using my Xlopr600 with the attachment head and either a 48" octobox or a 26" bowens. I will actually be having the mother help me with the stand or mono pod so either modifier will work (if there is any wind)

I know Ill get larger softer light with my 48" octo, but give the type of photos, perhaps Ill still achieve desired results with either. Im going mainly for catchlights and enough fill for the occasional light& airy post look.

Thank you!!

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 09, 2017 20:17 |  #2

Heya,

The 26" can work great if you get it within 24 inches of the subject, it will greatly control spill and whatever else is potentially near by that can be illuminated. The 48" does great at farther distance, but will also cover more things with light. Your call really.

Lately I've moved to smaller modifiers and shooting fill, where it doesn't matter how soft it is as much (not as critical at least).

Slightly harder light isn't always a bad thing.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,419 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sep 09, 2017 22:51 |  #3

When I started I used to use 24" Qbox with a speedlite. So both your options should work. Now a days I use 37" octa which is a replica of the Elinchrom 39" deep octa and it works quite nice for shooting single person shots. Sometimes I will also use a medium softbox. I also have XPLOR600 but recently added one AD200 which is lot less weight for applications where assistant will be holding a pole with a modifier.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Fargo, ND
Post has been edited 2 months ago by digitalduck.
Sep 11, 2017 12:09 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #4

Nice thing about that is ill be using the attachment so its more like a prophoto B2 in a sense. Even if i lose a stop of light, at full power its a minimal difference. So no addtl weight for the assistant, bag can go on the ground or around arm.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,419 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sep 11, 2017 15:00 |  #5

I always use my AD600 with an extension head. And I measured the power loss is 1/3 of a stop.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 11, 2017 15:32 |  #6

digitalduck wrote in post #18449402 (external link)
Even if i lose a stop of light, at full power its a minimal difference.

The minimal difference is, 50% of full power.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

sponsored links

1,677 views & 2 likes for this thread
Choice of flash for senior session downtown
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.