Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 11 Sep 2017 (Monday) 17:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Peak Design Everyday Messenger (13" & soon 15")

randy98mtu
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Sep 11, 2017 17:20 |  #1

I forget whose blog I was looking at the other day, but they had and recommended the Peak Design Everyday Sling 10L. Once I started looking, I decided updating my accessories might help scratch the GAS I've had lately. So after comparing a few things and shopping around, I ordered quite a few things:

Everyday Messenger 13"
Capture Pro Clip
Slide Summit Strap
Pro PAD Stabilizer for Pro Clip
A couple extra anchor links for the strap and a second Pro Plate (probably not necessary, I may return it.)
Plus I ordered an Oben tripod that was on sale at B&H for good measure

This review will be a work in progress. The reasons for which will become apparent soon. In the past I had a big thread comparing the 5, 6, and 7 Million Dollar Home Crumpler bags. Great camera bags, but I have stopped using them. I prefer multi-purpose bags. For the past couple of years I have been using a Timbuk2 messenger. Typically I'm carrying 1 camera, some full sized headphones, an iPad and/or MacBook Pro, and miscellaneous accessories. I will also sometimes throw a beverage and some part of breakfast and/or lunch in there. Now the Timbuk2 doesn't leave me wanting for much except a bit of a more dedicated camera compartment. Throw some GAS on the fire, and I order the above.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

And here are the items I was able to stuff in there. Don't normally/always carry multiple lenses.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
Sony A7R ii | B25 + FE 50/1.8 + FE 85/1.8
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Post has been edited 3 months ago by randy98mtu.
Sep 11, 2017 17:21 |  #2

So after receiving the 13" today and loading it up, I have to say it was a little tighter than I was hoping. The bag is similar in size to the Timbuk2 Messenger I have, but the Timbuk2 will hold my 15" MBP. So I was probably foolish to have ordered the 13" size to start. My reasoning was that I recently traded my 12.9" iPad Pro for a 10.5" version. Oh yeah, that was (and still is) in the back pocket of the bag.

Here is the way I loaded it.

HOSTED PHOTO

One of the lenses is under the flap on the right. Then I folded down the one over the camera and put the other lens and the B&W's on top.

HOSTED PHOTO

So on to the bag itself; it's GORGEOUS. I LOVE this bag. The materials. The construction. The color accents and aluminum details. It's awesome. The main gripe I have so far is the waist band that is stuffed into those side pockets intrude on the inside space and I wish they were completely removable. I suppose they are with scissors, but I'd rather not go there. :D The folding separators are fantastic. The magnetic latch system is awesome. The bag somehow feels lighter than my Timbuk2 did even with more stuff in it.

And one thing I found a pleasant surprise, barely visible on the right hand side in the second picture above, one of their clips. The side pockets aren't very secure, so I attached that clip to my badge for work and now I can easily attach it to the bag and not worry about losing it.

I haven't gotten into the other things I bought. This review was mostly about the bag. So for now, that's all. The 15" is scheduled to show up on Thursday and I will update this thread at that time.

Canon 5D Mark IV | 35 f/2 IS + 50L + 85L | Gear / Feedbacks | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link) | last.fm (external link)
"We buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people we don’t like.” - Chuck Palahniuk

randy98mtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Michigan
Sep 11, 2017 17:21 |  #3

Hold

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Oct 01, 2017 09:01 |  #4

How water resistance is this bag?

Gearlist

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Oct 04, 2017 19:45 |  #5

kenwood33 wrote in post #18463890 (external link)
How water resistance is this bag?

Water will bead off. You won't be able to go in the shower or in a pool with it.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

753 views & 1 like for this thread
Peak Design Everyday Messenger (13" & soon 15")
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.